Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. And I ussually like her stuff.

I just can't get past her first paragraph in "The Countess."

Three or four sentences in:

"My cousin Pete, who had miraculously survived Waterloo unscathed, except for his soul, he wrote me, had been unable to come home until the French, who, he always said, lived in a constant state of overwrought emotion, had accepted Louis XVIII, their rightful, albeit idiot, of a king."

That sentence just makes me cringe. And to think of the sentences to come...

I'm sorry Ms. Coulter, but I just... can't...!

Last edited:

Akiahara

Registered
Reaction score
"My cousin Pete, who had miraculously survived Waterloo unscathed, except for his soul, he wrote me, had been unable to come home until the French, who, he always said, lived in a constant state of overwrought emotion, had accepted Louis XVIII, their rightful, albeit idiot, of a king."

That's really in a book? Am I the only one who had to read that several times to understand?

Reaction score
Are there any "first sentence in a book" contests?

I have the greatest first sentence in the history of literature and I'd like to win some money from it, because there will not be a book that follows it.

Thank you.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Maybe she was trying to convey the idea that this was written by a Frenchman and the whole thing was translated from French to English?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Oddly, it calls to mind the opening of To kill a Mockingbird:

When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. When it healed, and Jem's fears of never being able to play football were assuaged, he was seldom self-conscious about his injury.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
rob, it doesn't remind me of tkam at all.

i can understand one, and feel instantly like reading more because i just learned a lot about a narrator and a character in two well-written sentences.

the coulter one is completely illegible. who edited that?

Akiahara

Registered
Reaction score
At least I understood that one the first time I read it. The Coulter one was... just... wow.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Maybe she was trying to convey the idea that this was written by a Frenchman and the whole thing was translated from French to English?

That would make sense.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind and see if the rest of the book is readable. Or at least the next page.

I'm seriously glad I'm not the only person who has MAJOR issues with that sentence.

Yes, it really is in a real book. O_O And it's on Page One, Paragraph one.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Oddly, it calls to mind the opening of To kill a Mockingbird:

She's captured... something. She just needs to punctuate it and divide it up so that its readable. X_X

Its like reading a first draft in my inbox.

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
maestrowork said:
That is possible, but there were better ways to do it. Perhaps since she refers to her cousin writing to her, she could do it in some form of a quote from a letter. Ray, this would be a great sentence for the games section - Rewrite a Pro... or Edit a Pro ... LOL ... No, I would toss this book across the room long and far if I read that sentence. NONONONONO... Im sure the rest of the book would drive me nuts.

No, it doesnt remind me of To Kill a Mockingbird either. The narrator there is very clear and precise in organizing her thoughts. That is extremely readable and easy to follow. This, is not.

Maybe she was going more for the A Tale of Two Cities opening????? If so , she bombed.

Last edited:

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
persiphone_hellecat said:
Ray, this would be a great sentence for the games section - Rewrite a Pro... or Edit a Pro ...

Before you can edit the pro, you have to understand the pro. I've read that puppy four times now, can't make heads or tales of it. That sentence is just plain icky.

Can someone translate that sentence into readable English pour moi?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Sure, it's a horrible sentence....but it's so much fun to read in a Valley Girl voice.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That would have been a great game, PD: rewrite this sentence as if a valley girl wrote it...

My cousin Pete, like who had amazingly survived -- what do you call that place, like in Russia or something? -- ah, Waterloo without a scratch -- far out, except for his soul, like he wrote me, had been unable to come home until the Frenchies, who, he always said, always lived in some super duper emotion, had like accepted Louis the 18th or 19th or something, their really true but what an idiot, as a king. As if.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
screenmom said:
Before you can edit the pro, you have to understand the pro. I've read that puppy four times now, can't make heads or tales of it. That sentence is just plain icky.

Can someone translate that sentence into readable English pour moi?

Original:

My Rewrite:

"My cousin Pete wrote me from Russia; he's alive, thank God. He says that he won't be able to come home until this talk of revolution has quieted down. He thinks we ought to just buckle down beneath King Louis; 'Rightful Heir' and 'God's Chose' and all that garbage, but I think he's an idiot."

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bartholomew said:
Original:

My Rewrite:

"My cousin Pete wrote me from Russia; he's alive, thank God. He says that he won't be able to come home until this talk of revolution has quieted down. He thinks we ought to just buckle down beneath King Louis; 'Rightful Heir' and 'God's Chose' and all that garbage, but I think he's an idiot."

I don't like your rewrite at all. It introduces new flavors to the narrator that weren't there before.

My rewrite:

"My cousin Pete, who had miraculously survived Waterloo unscathed (except for his soul), wrote me. He'd been unable to come home until the French, still in their usual state of overwrought emotion, had accepted Louis XVIII as their rightful king, idiot though he may be."

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
I don't like your rewrite at all. It introduces new flavors to the narrator that weren't there before.

My rewrite:

"My cousin Pete, who had miraculously survived Waterloo unscathed (except for his soul), wrote me. He'd been unable to come home until the French, still in their usual state of overwrought emotion, had accepted Louis XVIII as their rightful king, idiot though he may be."
'

I don't like your rewrite either; it leaves that same stale voice intact.

To each their own, though, oui?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Bartholomew said:

Who's an idiot, Pete or the King? Just a thought.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
DamaNegra said:
Who's an idiot, Pete or the King? Just a thought.

Pete.

If I rewrite something, darn it, I rewrite it.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Ray's valley girl re-write is the best. I read THAT one out loud, and it made me happy.

Original:

Ernest Hemmingway:

"My cousin Pete lived. Others died. The King is an idiot."

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Ray's valley girl re-write is the best. I read THAT one out loud, and it made me happy.

Original:

Ernest Hemmingway:

"My cousin Pete lived. Others died. The King is an idiot."

Nice one. :D

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Original:

H.P. Lovecraft:

"It was with a dreaded certainty which filled all of the cavity in which my heart did beat that I became aware that dreary morning as the sun rose with rosy tendrils of morning light that my cousin who I had known all my life and was called Pete had miraculously survived. He had been in Waterloo a town full of dark and menace, an evil forboding place with an eldritch sky in the bantering waters of the English land which is a place of old magic and ancient power and as I write to you now I flee that place. He wrote to me, wrote to me, and he said that he could not come home, and even his handwriting was full to the tides of anguish all the hatred that was boiling within him, for he could not leave till the French had settled, they of such strong emotions and powerful feelings, they of suchs angers and brimming grimmances, grievances that no time nor tolling bell could erase, they who could not accept Louis XVIII as their rightful king, he who supremed idiocy with the trebelence of a manatee."

Status
Not open for further replies.