PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica!

dragonjax
09-23-2006, 03:46 AM
OCTOBER 6!!! Who else is eagerly awaiting the season premiere? :e2woo:

cree
09-23-2006, 04:23 AM
I'm not, but my husband is salivating.
Soon-to-be-BG-widow,
Cree

Diana Hignutt
09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I grew up with the original BG. I haven't really given the new show a chance. I feel like I watch too much tv already. My must see's are Dr. Who, LOST, and Smallville, and, of course, football. I've heard some realy great things about the new BG, but I miss 'ol Lorne Green.

Do they use the same characters? Starbuck, Apollo, and the rest?

Ardellis
09-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I grew up with the original BG. I haven't really given the new show a chance. I feel like I watch too much tv already. My must see's are Dr. Who, LOST, and Smallville, and, of course, football. I've heard some realy great things about the new BG, but I miss 'ol Lorne Green.

You might give it a try, Diana. It's going to b running right after Doctor Who this season. It's really quite good.

Yes, the original characters are there, but they've been reimagined. Even Baltar is back. Edward James Olmos is great as Adama. And I was pleasantly surprised not only that a female Starbuck could work, but that she'd become my favorite character, just as her male predecessor was on the original show.

Sheryl Nantus
09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
sorry, it jumped the shark for me and my hubby in the season finale.

talk about bad writing...

:(

robeiae
09-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Like Diana, I can't get into the new one at all. I tried watching it, but it was a big zero for me. Maybe it's because there's no Face, er...Starbuck.

Also, Voltar was awesome in old one.

MattW
09-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Somehow my brain confounded memories of the BG series with Buck Rogers (I was 6-ish).

Bidibidibidi.

Bibsy
09-24-2006, 05:00 AM
OCTOBER 6!!! Who else is eagerly awaiting the season premiere? :e2woo:

Me! :hooray:

Honestly, I don't know how the show hasn't gotten cancelled. That's what usually happens to shows I love this much. But I'm not complaining.

Vincent
09-24-2006, 07:30 AM
So why don't they wear capes anymore?

BrianTubbs
09-24-2006, 08:44 AM
The new show does a great job in some areas, and chokes big-time in other areas.

The Good:

Baltar's character is much better developed and more convincing
the Cylon concept is better imagined (more depth)
the surprise attack which kicked the series off was MUCH, MUCH better than the original (I really liked how they did the whole shut-down thing for the newer tech, allowing the "obsolete" Galactica to still operate)
the politics of the show is MUCH better, including...
I really like the president - I forget the actress' name, but she does a GREAT job with that part!
Olmos is good as Adama. No complaints there. However...if Lorne Greene were still alive, I think they should've gone with him.
Generally speaking....the writing is far, far better. The old series started off great and then went downhill fast with its plot lines and character interaction. So far, the writing has been great - and shows signs of (if anything) getting better.
The Neutral:

I don't agree with Hollywood's super-infatuation with youth, and its insistence that, if you're over 40 or over 50 - you're too old (generally speaking) to be the lead role...unless (of course)...you're extremely well established (Harrison Ford, etc) Therefore....I don't think they needed a new actor for Apollo. They could've gone with Richard Hatch. And even if youth and image is a big deal....Give him a personal trainer and a good make-up artist, and you can make him appear 20 years younger than what he is! That having been said....the new actor who plays the new Apollo does a good job. So, I have mixed feelings on this point.
I don't like their reimagining the new characters to the point that they are changing genders, and this includes "Boomer." However, I really do like what they're doing with the new "Boomer" character. I just wish they had made up a new character for her.The BAD:

Sorry, BUT I do NOT like their changing Starbuck's character and gender! That does NOT work for me! Not that the new Starbuck character isn't colorful and interesting....but make her a different character. Create a NEW role for her to fill. Stick with the traditional, MALE Starbuck. That they ruined Starbuck is, by far, my STRONGEST objection to the new show!
I like the old uniforms, including the old dress uniforms - with the capes. Those were cool. Why did they have to get rid of them?
The old Cylon fighters - the discs - were awesome.
The old Cylons themselves - shiny, silver with the red eye going back and forth - were the BEST! I don't dig the new Cylons nearly as well.So....all in all....I like the new series. Were it not for the Starbuck thing, I would like it a lot.

Adam Israel
09-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm really looking forward to it. I grew up on the original and I prefer the new series. I dig the female Starbuck.

Ardellis
09-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I do have a few issues with it, too, much as I love it. My main pet peeves are that many of the costumes and especially the ground vehicles are far, far too much like ours. Do they really think that a civilization this long removed from ours would develop something that looks exactly like our cars, right down to license plates? And suits with neckties? Come on, guys -- use your imaginations, will you?

The writing and the acting usually more than make up for it, though.

Popeyesays
09-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't have cable, but eagerly watched the regular broadcast of about six hours of the first season. I found it captivating. The concept of the cylons as biotech rather than just machines made the whole story-line more compelling. Now one cannot KNOW who is a Cylon and who is not, not even the individual Cylons.

The rebellious nature of Starbuck is still there despite the addition of breasts. I am generally in favor of breasts, so there was no big shock in that.

As to how the Galacticans dress and the presentation of technology, it's okay with me that they wear neckties and have registration tags on their automobiles. The capes were silly in the first place. In our society the necktie has centuries of costume history even after any purpose for the device has vanished.

(As an aside, I believe the necktie to be the silliest dress convention ever subjected upon mankind. Women complain about panythose, but at least those would serve to keep the legs warm when needed. The necktie has no such utilitarian purpose.)

Anyway, I wish they would start broadcasting the series like they did Stargate.

Bibsy
09-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Having cars and other technology that looks like ours has never phased me about the new version. Yeah, realistically, they wouldn't have developed stuff that looks exactly like ours, but realistically, they wouldn't be speaking English either. I think the point of it is not a lack of imagination on the part of the show's creators so much as it's an attempt to say, "Look, these are people just like us" and to keep things like capes and strange-looking costumes from distracting from the story. While a lot of genre fans want and expect to see an other-ish look to things, there are also people who are turned off by a lot science fiction because they can't get past what I've heard people dub "the silly names and the silly costumes."

I watched and enjoyed the original series when I was younger, but the gender changes of the characters don't bother me either. They've totally changed the personalities for the most part, so after that, changing the gender as well doesn't seem like a huge deal. And to me, the original Starbuck's character--the charming rogue--has been done to death. And I love Starbuck in the new version. She's a tough cookie, but she's also flawed and has a very realistic vulnerability to her.

Jamesaritchie
09-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I've tried to love the new Battlestar, but it usually bores me to tears.

Linda Adams
09-25-2006, 03:09 AM
I've tried to love the new Battlestar, but it usually bores me to tears.

At last! Someone else who shares the same sentiment!

Rabe
09-25-2006, 08:42 AM
but realistically, they wouldn't be speaking English either.

First, the disclaimer:

I hated the original Battlestar Galactica. I felt it was a cheap, rushed attempt to rip off Star Wars/Star Trek and even then wasn't done very well. I have a visceral dislike of it from being a wee child.

I *loathe* the new Battlestar Galactica - not just based on the concept of redoing a series I already hated but because when I've tried to watch it, it did bore me to tears and was generally just so freaking bad that I couldn't imagine why they would choose to produce that over "Farscape". (And it doesn't help that those who brought it back are former 'Trek' producers and I saw where they trashed 'Trek' in comparison to "Galactica" in early interviews.)

However, I'm responding to this bit of quote above. I've heard that many times in my long fandom of sci-fi to the point where I stopped considering someone a friend when he proudly declared that "America had won" because the official Federation language is "English" and had people scoff at Star Wars because the main language spoken is "English".

What bothers me about such statements (including the one above regarding the 'Galactica' people not speaking English) is that it's not like we're actually watching a show where people are speaking English anymore than the characters through the last two thirds of "13th Warrior" have switched from Arabic and Swedish (?) to English. Anymore than I think the characters of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" are speaking English or that the characters on Pern are speaking English (or at the very least, the same dialect that we know!). The thing of it is this: they aren't speaking English, so much, as their own dialects/languages. We just 'hear' it in English because who would watch a show where the characters were all speaking in a made up/foreign language that the vast majority of viewers most likely didn't understand and were forced to read subtitles all the time?

So when it comes to "Galactica" or all the others mentioned, I immediately assume that they are speaking some other language, it's only been 'translated from the original' in order for us to understand it. I can't defend the suits/ties and/or cars, but at least I can defend them on the language bit!

And the president's still alive? Didn't she have a pretty evolved terminal illness way back in the first season? One that they kept bringing up as if it would kill her late in the episode, or later into the other episode? I did like the end of the one (first season?) episode where Starbuck befriended the Cylon that she was supposed to 'interrogate' and the president had airlocked into space. At the end, Starbuck went to her locker and prayed to her Greek gods. That was something in the original series that I always thought got glossed over too much. Or at least in my very limited experience of the original series.

Rabe...

Bibsy
09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
I think the point I was trying to make about the English thing didn't quite comes across. I actually do the same as what you said with shows like this--assume they're not speaking in English, because yes, it would be ridiculous to create a new language and make viewers read in subtitles. My point in bringing that up was that just as I'm looking at English as "translation" of whatever they'd really be speaking if this were a real world, I'm also looking at the cars and the suits and ties as a type of "translation". It's an easy (and admittedly production budget conscious) way of saying these people are in a world similar to what we know.

But just as there are some people who don't watch some things because of the strange names and costumes, I understand why some people might be turned off by the lack of them with this show. I'm not particularly bothered by either, but to each his own.

ChaosTitan
09-25-2006, 07:09 PM
And the president's still alive? Didn't she have a pretty evolved terminal illness way back in the first season?

Highlight to read, since it's a big season 2 spoiler:

Boomer and Helo's baby was born a few eps before the finale. In it, the ship's doctor discovered that the baby's unique physiology/blood had healing properties. He tested it on the Laura and she was cured of her cancer. They also decided to tell Boomer and Helo that the baby died, and they shipped the infant off to a woman somewhere in the Fleet.

Honestly, that was my only real complaint about season two (okay, that and Lee's little flirtation with Dee, ugh). It had a bit of a Starchild effect and felt cheap, but I understood some of the storytelling reasons behind the decision.

That said, I adore this show. I never watched the original in first-run, and viewing reruns on Sci Fi every now and again, I usually laugh my way through the entire episode. It is a classic show, but if someone tried to air that today, as is, it would get canned after three episodes. And it must say something if the original series lasted ONE season. To SF fans, it's a classic. To the rest of the TV audience, it's just silly camp.

Marketing the new BSG to a broader audience was brilliant. The humans are enough like us that we can identify with them (neckties and license plates), but also different enough (praying to Athena) that we never mistake them for us. They don't have to wear silly costumes and weird Egyptian helmets in order for us to believe that it's a SF show.

It can be an emotionally draining show, but that's why I love it. I know I can watch it, and be affected by fiction every single week. Affected by the story and the characters. Few shows can guarantee that, fewer novels, and even fewer movies. Adama and Apollo have one of the most complex father/son relationships out there. I adore the father/daughter relationship Adama has with Kara Thrace (who is, in a way, a completely different character who just happens to have the handle "Starbuck").

Plus any show with a naked Jamie Bamber gets points from me. ;)

The one thing I still don't get are the conversations that go like this...

Me: Have you seen the new Battlestar Galactica?
Them: That show is terrible. The original is so much better.
Me: Have you actually watched an episode of the new one?
Them: No.

:Wha:

Reminds me of my six year old nephew. He refused to try tomato saunce on his spagetti because he didn't like it. "It's gross." He had to have it with butter only. Funny how he'd never once tried it with tomato sauce, so how did he know he didn't like it? Then one day he gave it chance, and loves it!

Hmmm....

But I digress.

My number one reason for loving this show, and why it's better than most TV on air today: there is not always a happy ending.

There, I said it. I hate it when there is always a neat little solution to every week's problem, wrapped up with a bow on top. That's why I don't watch sitcoms anymore. I want something with an edge, with emotion and with impact. Maybe I don't like every storyline, or every direction they choose to take the show, but its brilliance far outshines its flaws.

LeslieB
09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Highlight to read, since it's a big season 2 spoiler:
The one thing I still don't get are the conversations that go like this...

Me: Have you seen the new Battlestar Galactica?
Them: That show is terrible. The original is so much better.
Me: Have you actually watched an episode of the new one?
Them: No.

Reminds me of my six year old nephew. He refused to try tomato saunce on his spagetti because he didn't like it. "It's gross." He had to have it with butter only. Funny how he'd never once tried it with tomato sauce, so how did he know he didn't like it? Then one day he gave it chance, and loves it!

My husband was a huge fan of the old show, and everything he saw about the new show turned him off. Like me, he hates Hollywood's "It's just the same... only different!" attempts at ripping off old shows.

A friend of his had the same feeling that you do, that if my husband would just watch the show, he'd love it. So he loaned him his tapes, and Hubbie watched the entire first season.

When he returned the tapes, Hubbie said, "You were right, it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was worse. This show is terrible, and I would hate it even if it didn't have familiar names slapped on the characters. The people are so stupid I started cheering for the Cylons to wipe them out."

He did like Olmos as the new Adama, though. He said that was the one and only thing that rang true.

ChaosTitan
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
A friend of his had the same feeling that you do, that if my husband would just watch the show, he'd love it. So he loaned him his tapes, and Hubbie watched the entire first season.

Actually, my point wasn't "if you just try it, you'll love it."

My point was "don't say you hate it if you haven't tried it."

Everyone has the right to like or dislike a show. It just bothers me when people condemn something they haven't even tried (doesn't matter if it's a book, a movie, food, or rap music). I know I don't like CSI, because I tried to watch it. Not for me. I know I don't like red beets, because I tasted them. Yuck.

Some people like CSI and red beets. It's what makes the world go 'round.

Rabe
09-26-2006, 01:59 AM
point in bringing that up was that just as I'm looking at English as "translation" of whatever they'd really be speaking if this were a real world, I'm also looking at the cars and the suits and ties as a type of "translation". It's an easy (and admittedly production budget conscious) way of saying these people are in a world similar to what we know.

You make a very valid point about the costumes and props. And actually, when one thinks about it - since the people of BG *are* humans, colonists that have fled Earth so long ago for whatever reason and are now seeking the myth of Earth, it can be discussed that they have kept the traditions that they know. Licensing and registring transports, suits and ties for men, dresses and other formal wear for women. It could easily be argued what time period the original colonists left Earth is the same time period where they had registered cars and ties and the like.

Kind of like how the really nitpicky chide sci-fi shows for having ships blow up when there's 'no atmosphere in space'. Except, they always seem to forget that flame, ionization and the like don't require atmosphere, but fuel which is found aplenty on spaceships with artificial environments.

So the next time someone gets uppity about BG characters wearing ties and the like, just go into the long explanation of how the colonists left Earth in the late nineties, settled their planets for hundreds of years and kept the mores that had when they left Earth.

Rabe...

SeanDSchaffer
09-26-2006, 03:47 AM
I would be looking forward to the new season, were it not for the fact that I do not get Sci-Fi Channel.

Which is sad, when it comes to the new version of BG, but it is not so sad when it comes to the majority of other shows that channel presents. (Not the old shows that they present, but the Sci-Fi Original shows. The majority of them just do not seem to have the quality that most F/SF shows on network television used to have.)

Ordinary_Guy
09-26-2006, 06:12 AM
I like the new show...

It has a few glitches, it makes a few sacrifices... but it has robots, heroism and suspense. Half SF, half stellar soap opera – it may not be the way I would've remade it (which, of course, would've been the best way), but it's good enough distraction to be worth an hour a week.

Vincent
09-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Ahem. Bring back Firefly.

Thank you.

soloset
09-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Somehow my brain confounded memories of the BG series with Buck Rogers (I was 6-ish).

Bidibidibidi.

You owe me a new keyboard. Do you have any idea how hard Dr. Pepper is on the nasal passages?

Thank you.

That ship has sailed, friend. Nothing to do but mourn and move on now. It's probably better this way; Whedon is terrible at endings anyway. And he always re-invents things when I liked them the way they were already. Sulk.

Oh, Battlestar Galactica? I think the new Starbuck is just as attractive as the old one, and that if I ever start watching TV again I'll be sure to add that to the list.

SeanDSchaffer
09-26-2006, 09:45 AM

Thank you.

As many other things as have been brought back lately, I can see just about anything coming back sometime in the near future...

LeslieB
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I would be looking forward to the new season, were it not for the fact that I do not get Sci-Fi Channel.

Which is sad, when it comes to the new version of BG, but it is not so sad when it comes to the majority of other shows that channel presents. (Not the old shows that they present, but the Sci-Fi Original shows. The majority of them just do not seem to have the quality that most F/SF shows on network television used to have.)

It's a very mixed bag. The fastest way to get a piercing scream out of my husband is to say in a deep voice, "And now, a Sci-Fi Channel original movie."

But on the other hand, they have run the only two reality shows that I thought were worth more than five seconds of my time. Who Wants to Be a Superhero? was far better than I expected it to be, and more enjoyable that the typical competition show because the people had to show their best sides to win, not their worst.

The other is one of my favorite shows. Ghost Hunters is really great for anyone interested in the paranormal. While the show has gotten more professional, it hasn't lost the charm of a bunch of people taking time from their day jobs (the two main guys work for Roto-Rooter) to crawl through the cellars of haunted houses.

A la the show Cops, cameras follow the members of The Atlantic Paranormal Society as they investigate places with possible activity. They investigate with equipment like infrared cameras, electromagnet monitors and sound recorders. You won't find any middle-aged women in bright floral dresses clutching their chests and moaning "Ah feel the spirits here..." on this show. TAPS is after scientific proof that can be shown to anyone, not just feelings or perceptions. They have caught some amazing stuff, like a chair moving about six inches by itself - in an empty room with only one doorway that was clearly visible to the camera. Throw in the occassional bickering between members, and you have a very entertaining show.

MattW
09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
As many other things as have been brought back lately, I can see just about anything coming back sometime in the near future...Futurama is a another one resurrected. Firefly would be great as well.

I don't want to crap on Fox in a tangent, but they are the masters of making good shows impossible to watch because of scheduling, canceling them because no one is watching, then replacing them with crap shows that never get preempted and limp along for five seasons.

allion
09-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I don't want to crap on Fox in a tangent, but they are the masters of making good shows impossible to watch because of scheduling, canceling them because no one is watching, then replacing them with crap shows that never get preempted and limp along for five seasons.

What Matt says. Why is The War at Home even on TV??

The only reason I know it exists is because it comes on either before or after Family Guy. Yes, I enjoy my lowbrow humour.

Karen

Silverhand
09-27-2006, 03:01 AM

Thank you.

IMO Firefly was one of the best SF series ever created. :)

Saying that, I am very hot and cold with the new Battlestar. I love the new Adama. I like the high emotional stakes. Seriously, those first 5 episodes from Year 1 were fabulous. At the same time, I cannot stand both the President or Starbuck. I absolutely hate...and I mean HATE Starbuck's character.

I mean come on - your entire species is on the verge of being wiped out - and she is really the only character not acting like it. /grrrr

Rabe
09-27-2006, 08:46 AM
What Matt says. Why is The War at Home even on TV??

The only reason I know it exists is because it comes on either before or after Family Guy. Yes, I enjoy my lowbrow humour.

Karen

Ah...that must be tongue in cheek since you can't stand "The War at Home" and watch "Family Guy" (though the quality IS slipping on that show...since they've stopped featuring Stewie so much).

And the reason that "The War at Home" is on television is the same reason that Jackass: The Movie has a sequel that has apparently become a weekend box office winner. Because the idiots far outnumber discerning viewers that are able to understand a joke more complex than being reduced to a cliche.

Rabe...

Tracey
10-05-2006, 02:08 AM
I am so excited about this show. I'm not normally a sci-fi person, but this show just hooked me. It's not like anything else on TV and I appreciate that the writers are willing to take chances. Friday can't come soon enough for me.

allion
10-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Saturday for us in Canada on the Space channel (shameless plug, and I don't even work for them).

Karen

ChunkyC
10-05-2006, 03:07 AM
I love the new BG. Unfortunately, up here in Canada season 3 won't start airing for a few months on our sci-fi channel, Space: The Imagination Station.

ETA: My sketchy info was out of date, Karen is right, it's here! w00t!

And it must say something if the original series lasted ONE season
Actually, the original series lasted two seasons. Well, maybe one and a half, I'd have to check to see how many episodes got aired in season two before they put it to death. Too many, that's for sure.

For the time (nineteen seventies), season one was a pretty daring show. It was the first TV show that ever had an episode cost upwards of a million dollars to produce. Remember, no CGI to speak of back then. All the ships were models shot without the motion control they have now, and so on. At the time, it was pretty friggin cool. Mind you, there were some bits that even then were kind of dumb and now seem utterly idiotic, but the overall idea behind the series was good. I was just out of my teens when it originally aired and I enjoyed the first season. HOWEVER....

In season two they took every single thing that worked in season one and threw it out the window, mostly because of cost, I'm positive. In season two, the only main character that remained was Adama, who had grown a beard (I think Lorne Greene was trying to hide). Starbuck and Apollo's kids were the main guys, and Earth had been found. Yeah, stupid. But the bean counters figured they could save lots of money by shooting on a back lot instead of maintaining all the Galactica and other spaceship sets and so on. Apollo and Starbuck's sons drove flying motorcyles that looked exactly like what they were, motorbikes with flimsy pieces of plastic stuck on them to make them look spacey ... it was just stupid. It went from being a show that had real promise to one of the worst things ever put on television.

ChaosTitan
10-05-2006, 03:32 AM
It went from being a show that had real promise to one of the worst things ever put on television.

Is "Galactica: 1980" technically season two? Or an attempt at a spin-off?

badducky
10-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I've been watching this in the background this morning while working, and... hey, this is a genuinely good TV show.

Now if only we could get Firefly back...

allion
10-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Does anyone remember the awful BG episode when the Cylons appeared on earth in our time but it was Hallowe'en and no one noticed? How about Dr. Z?

Why can't I forget such things?

The best thing about the original series was the tight pants on Dirk Benedict.

Karen

Sheryl Nantus
10-07-2006, 06:16 AM
I just turned off the "new" ep running on Sci-Fi.

won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but Ron Moore obviously really loves to do political commentary. Too bad he didn't stick to sci-fi.

blech.

what a waste of two hours of television.

:(

badducky
10-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Could you imagine the wonderfulness of a Battlestar Galactica made by Watanabe Shinichirou, or Satoshi Kon?

Admittedly, I'd rather let those two do their own thing, but if one of them got involved, I'd definitely pay for cable. (I'm at my mom's house at the moment, and they have cable.)

allion
10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
My first impressions of the third season are well, meh. It didn't grab me, but I think there is room for growth here. I liked seeing Apollo not at his best, but what the heck is going on with Starbuck? Argh. I just warmed to her character and now they go and screw it up again.

Does anyone else think that Adama is channelling his Miami Vice character with that moustache?

I also found the lighting for the scenes on Caprica began to hurt my eyes. I know what they are trying for - a very stark look about the place, but ouch.

I'll watch next week to see where they are going with this.

Karen

Ordinary_Guy
10-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Who saw tonight's (Oct 20) episode?!

Questions answered.
New twists to think about.

Sacrifice. Villainy. Heroism. Humanity.

I like the series as a whole, though it's never been 'perfect.' This episode, though... Absolutely Freakin' Awesome!

Jumping into the atmosphere... deploying fighters as they drop, hurtling toward the ground... jumping out before they crater! Great Big Brass Titanium [Guts]!

I'm not too proud to admit that it had me misty-eyed a few times.

...Man, if this one episode doesn't get some sort of Emmy nod, then something is wrong with the system.

Ardellis
10-21-2006, 06:17 PM
"Holy Frak" is right, OG. I thought for sure for a couple of minutes there that we were watching the end of half the cast! But yes, solid titanium gonads run in the Adama family, don't they?

ChaosTitan
10-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm gonna put big spoilers for last night behind the white curtain, so highlight to read.

Tighe taking care of business: I knew Tighe had to do something to Ellen. He told Anders that he'd take care of it. From beginning to end, that scene reduced me to tears. I didn't like Ellen at first, but I did like her by the end. She truly loved her husband, and I think she believed what she did was right.

Two Starbuck Reunions: First with Anders, and what a sweet sight. I like the girlish side of Kara that we've gotten to see with the last few episodes, toning her down a bit from the reckless drunk she'd become near the end of last season. But how frakkin' sad was it that Casey belonged to someone else? I know that for the mythology to work, Casey couldn't have been hers, but Kara looked...devastated. Had me sniffling again.

Loved, loved, loved the rescue. Watching the Galactica descend into atmo and then jump away at the last second was just awesome! Adama had an impressive plan that worked. And I'm kinda glad that the Pegasus got nailed. It will keep our series regulars on one ship again. :D

The last five minutes just hit me in the heart. All of the reunions, the hugs, the familiar faces home again. Adama shaving that ridiculous mustache. Now Lee just needs some liposuction, Kara needs a haircut, and life is back to normal.

Yeah, right. :tongue

Ordinary_Guy
10-22-2006, 12:32 AM
...Tighe taking care of business...
Whew. Wow. Deftly and delicately handled by the writers and the characters. Shakespeare woulda been proud of that scene.

As for the Pegasus... I'm sorry to see it go but what a way to do it! Even as it blew apart, the remains crash into and take out two more base stars!

Oh yeah. And: "I never could read your handwriting." ?! Nice line. A bit flip, but appropriate for the moment. Brought a smile to my face (even as I had a tear in my eye).

Did I say "wow" yet?

allion
10-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Ok, so I read ahead and know what's going to happen for us in Canada tonight on the Space network - 9 pm - be there or be square - and it sounds absolutely wild.

I'll offer my opinion after I watch it and digest it. But it sounds fraking amazing.

So funny to compare it to the original series that Space is also running (I think to torture us) and see how mature this version is compared to the silliness from 1980.

But I still have a thing for Dirk Benedict from that time.:heart:

Karen

ChunkyC
10-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Does anyone remember the awful BG episode when the Cylons appeared on earth in our time but it was Hallowe'en and no one noticed? How about Dr. Z?

Why can't I forget such things?
You're not the only one who wishes they could forget that garbage. Remember the 'scout troop' from Galactica that had super-ish powers because Earth's gravity was different? BLECH!!! I wonder how many TV sets got shot that year?

Is "Galactica: 1980" technically season two? Or an attempt at a spin-off?
I honestly can't remember if it aired the year following the original first season, but it was supposedly the same show, same universe, just a generation after the first season. It was supposed to be a continuation of the story.

allion
10-22-2006, 06:29 PM
The guy from Adam-12 (Kent McCord) was the grown up Boxy (?!?) in the revamped BG that they inflicted upon us. Just sad. There is a hilarious bit in the Hallowe'en episode where the Cylon goes into the kitchen and the microwave is on. Cylon ends up on the floor because of the effects of the rays or some dumb reason. If they were that easy to disable/kill, why did they not use microwave rays in their ships? But this was a show where logic ran out the door.

The original series ran about 2 seasons, was cancelled, then they did BG 1980 which was truly awful. Lorne Greene wore a beard to disguise himself, I think.

Now to the new edition:
A bit of a reset to get everyone back in one spot again, but some really good acting and great moments. I didn't think a battlestar could jump into the atmosphere and out like that, but it looked really cool. I find this show is good at showing emotions when the characters aren't speaking. Starbuck's face at the end spoke volumes.

Karen

ChaosTitan
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
But I still have a thing for Dirk Benedict from that time.:heart:

Karen

I still have a thing for Dirk Benedict from his The A-Team days, so no worries. :D

badducky
10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey,so in the episode where they find the tomb of athena and they put the arrow down and they seem to *zap* to the real tomb...

So, uh... How the frak did they just zap back like its nothing?

Vincent
10-23-2006, 12:35 AM
TV magic.

badducky
10-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Also, when on god's green earth will they reveal precisely what happened to gaius to get his brain infection so i can volunteer?

also, i think i have the show figured out. You see, they're always running around British Columbia (i.e. Caprica City is actually quite obviously Simon Frasier University, and every planet seems to be British Columbia with a new color lens). I suspect the show is really a giant metaphor for how everyone else in the world is trying to get to Earth (which, as we all know, is America), but their refugee sttus gets them stuck in Canada. Cylons are actually Republicans, and they're the border patrol of the future.

Makes sense, right?

ChaosTitan
10-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Hey,so in the episode where they find the tomb of athena and they put the arrow down and they seem to *zap* to the real tomb...

So, uh... How the frak did they just zap back like its nothing?

It was a hologram of some sort. They didn't actually go anywhere. ;)

Ordinary_Guy
10-23-2006, 08:14 PM
...Makes sense, right?
:ROFL:

ChunkyC
10-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I only have two words for this past weekend's episode, which I finally saw yesterday:

WICK ED!

Yeah, like anybody thought I'd actually stop at two. :)

I was particularly blown away by -- anybody still not seen it? -- highlight to read on, just in case -- the Galactica jumping into atmosphere, then back out again scene. Crazy as it was, it was believable given the bolognium we all accept in the show (jump engines). When she jumped back out again, air rushed in to fill the space previously occupied by Galactica. A great big well done to the writers. This sort of thing is exactly what was left out of so many attempts to put sci fi on television. Idiot producers and writers kept forgetting that sci fi fans have BRAINS.

An awesome episode of an awesome show.

Higgins
10-24-2006, 10:49 PM

Its a very cool show. At the moment I'm enjoying it more than my previous favorites: Weeds, Deadwood and Firefly.

I also saw the original BSG when it first came out and it was pretty bad.

BSG is just good, flat-out highly visual Sci Fi done by people who are not only aware of what has been done in Sci Fi, but the interplay between Sci Fi and the icons of contemporary culture. You can see little snips of every iconic trauma to hit the USA over the last half century in BSG: for example, taking the presidential oath on a passenger craft (assassination of JFK) only this time, Jackie takes the oath and we get to skip Lyndon Banes Johnson.
And there are other echoes: Number 6 (echo within an echo? who is number one?) acts as a kind of evil Athena to the Odysseus-figure of many-minded Gaius Baltar...and Odysseus invented the Trojan Horse, whence the term for a computer-virus-style "trojan"....Though of course it is Achilles to whom Athena appears (invisible to all others) at the very beginning of the Iliad...

allion
10-29-2006, 07:37 PM
This show is going to a dark place. I like it. That's why I liked DS9 so much - they didn't always do the fluffy happy endings.

Now we see how everybody gets along with each other after New Caprica. My guess is, not so great.

Baltar has the best dreams, but what a scary place the inside of his mind is.

Karen

ChaosTitan
10-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Best lines from the most recent ep..

Lee: I've got a date with a jump rope.
Adama: Keep jumping.

ChunkyC
10-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, another great episode, wow. How justice gets mangled in the lust for revenge. Where have we seen that before?

Shadow_Ferret
10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I have officially lost interest in BG. Sad, to say. It's not the show's fault, it's mine. I get bored of any series after a season or two.

I realized I was in trouble when I was already several episodes behind in my DVR watching.

Bibsy
11-06-2006, 07:25 AM
This show is going to a dark place. I like it. That's why I liked DS9 so much - they didn't always do the fluffy happy endings.

Ditto. My husband and I have been watching Battlestar at the same time that I've been introducing him to DS9 via DVD, and since it's been a long while since I've watched a lot of those DS9 episodes, it's very interesting watching them alongside Battlestar and noticing both the parallels and the differences between the shows.

ChaosTitan
11-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Speaking of dark places, did anyone else expect Tighe to blow his brains out after that last swig of moonshine?

Bibsy
11-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Speaking of dark places, did anyone else expect Tighe to blow his brains out after that last swig of moonshine?
*raises hand*

Serenity
11-06-2006, 09:09 AM
*raises hand*

Ditto...

merper
11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
I hope he does. I really can't stand his character.

allion
11-07-2006, 04:01 AM
I've always thought Tighe has to be related to Mr. Lahey on the Trailer Park Boys. They are not, but they could pass for brothers. Both of them play alcholics as well.

And Baltar should be related to Dr. Bashir on DS9. Desmond on Lost is a close relative. The three should do a show together.

Liked the glimpse of Cylon life on their ships. Glad Apollo kept at the jump rope.

I found the latest episode a bit flat, but next week looks promising.

Karen

ChaosTitan
11-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Glad Apollo kept at the jump rope.

Any episode that finds a way to get Apollo out of his clothes gets five stars from me. :D

Serenity
11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I hope he does. I really can't stand his character.

I think that's why I like him. That, and I've loved the actor since seeing him on the Canadian show "Cold Squad". The actor is brilliant at the conflicted/drunken/no b.s. kind of character.

Sheryl Nantus
11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kve1oGPjf8

you're welcome.

:D

(and I can't get the song outta my head! help!!!)

dragonjax
11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
SHERYL!!!!!!!!!! :ROFL:

badducky
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Okay, anybody remember the hilariously bad follow-up to "Thundercats", the animated television show "Silverhawks"?

Tell me the old Cylons didn't make their start in the galaxy by defending it from Mon-Star before the power became too much for them and they became evil a la Cylon.

I mean, "Cylon" is exactly the sound you'd hear if someone said "Silverhawk" from the other side of one of those Cylon-esque Silverhawk masks...

ChaosTitan
11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
SHERYL!!!!!!!!!! :ROFL:

Ditto! :roll:

Sheryl Nantus
11-08-2006, 01:52 AM
and you're welcome!

*evil smirk*

heh, heh...

now help me get THAT SONG OUTTA MY HEAD!!!

*walks off humming "tilted walls and A-shaped halls"*

:D

allion
11-08-2006, 04:24 AM
"It's so much better than the one with Lorne Greene..."

Love it!

Karen

LilaDubois
11-08-2006, 11:13 PM

Thank you.

I'll second that.

allion
12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Anyone see the boxing episode this week? Thoughts? I found the Lee/Kara match full of blood lust, so to speak.

I think Adama and Roslin should get together. Having them get stoned under the stars was a hoot.

Karen
(trying to resurrect an old thread)

ChaosTitan
12-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Yes, very interesting happenings. I like that we got some flashbacks to early New Caprica events, to see how the crew became so divided.

It's funny. I saw Jamie Bamber as a convention this summer, and at the time, he was in the middle of filming this episode. He talked about the boxing scenes he filmed with Katee Sackhoff, and how every new episode gave him a new favorite moment of the series. It was cool to finally see the ep he talked about.

I was surprised, though, that Lee and Kara actually slept together on New Caprica. I didn't think the producers would go there, but they did, and with great aplomb. Not surprised that Kara broke his heart, though. Now we know who to blame for the Dee mess.

dragonjax
12-04-2006, 07:51 AM
As terrific as the character development episodes are, I'm itching to see the Cylons again. Come on, plot! Let's see more action!

allion
12-05-2006, 01:18 AM
I saw it as a setup episode. They can't run full tilt all the time with the Cylons and Baltar etc. Dee is definitely the consolation prize for Lee, but I don't get why Kara (spoiler) professed her feelings then went and married Anders (although Anders is really cute, so I can see why she would, but you know what I mean).

I can't get over how different Jamie Bamber sounds when he has his natural voice.

So, now what happens with all this tension on the good ship BG?

Karen

Pthom
12-05-2006, 02:35 AM
As terrific as the character development episodes are, I'm itching to see the Cylons again. Come on, plot! Let's see more action!I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's find a new SF story to produce for TV...one that will last one season, at the most two, and be VERY good.

um...
Don't think I'll hold my breath for that one either.

allion
12-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok, that's it. This week's episode sucked. Bleh. Get on with it, already. Didn't really care about Cat. What's next, the backstory for Hotdog?

Could they please focus on the story we care about instead of these rambling diversions?

Rant off,

Karen

ChaosTitan
12-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Aw, come on. Weren't you at least a little happy to see Cat bite it?

johnzakour
12-11-2006, 08:34 AM
I really like the show, but I thought this week's episode was a bit weak.

Spoilers (kind of)

I didn't understand the logic of not sending the Galaticia into the high radiation zone because they didn't want to leave the fleet unprotected, yet they sent fleet ships into the zone. To me the fleet ships were in a lot more danger from the jumps into the heavy radiation area than they would have been on the off chance that Cylons found them while the Galaticia was mining the food. It was a sure risk sending them into the zone verses the slight risk that the Cylons would stumble on the unprotected fleet.

I think it would have made much more sense for the Galatica to jump into the area alone and give the fleet emergency jump coordinates in case they were attacked. Then if the Cyclons did find them the fleet simply jumps away. Once Galaticia returns to the original coordinates, if they don’t find the fleet there they head to the emergency location.

I know I’m probably missing

allion
12-13-2006, 05:13 AM
OK, <insert evil grin here> I was kind of pleased to see Cat off the show.

Go away, you poorly developed character with the annoying personality.

Karen

LloydBrown
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Is anybody keeping track of the population count? I haven't seen that since early in the series. It had to take a beating while they were on the planet and in the escape.

Higgins
12-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Is anybody keeping track of the population count? I haven't seen that since early in the series. It had to take a beating while they were on the planet and in the escape.

And are down to about 41,000

ChunkyC
12-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Speaking of Cylons (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/854a)....

tourdeforce
12-16-2006, 04:16 PM
For some reason, they are moving the show to Sunday nights at 10PM upon its return on January 21st.

Serenity
12-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Speaking of Cylons (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/854a)....

:ROFL:

It looks like a cross between a cylon and the robot from Lost in Space.

Serenity
12-16-2006, 05:11 PM
For some reason, they are moving the show to Sunday nights at 10PM upon its return on January 21st.

Well, at least it's not going up against the Superbowl on its return. That joy will come two weeks later...

Jamesaritchie
12-16-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't know what the rationale is behind teh new date and time, but if this is the only time the show is on, I won't be watching the next season unless I tape it.

ChaosTitan
12-16-2006, 07:11 PM
My best guess is that SciFi Channel is trying to broaden its potential market appeal by moving out of the traditional "dead zone" of Friday night programming. BSG has received a lot of mainstream attention in recent months (like the covers of Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, and other magazines), and it's smart to latch onto that. I love SF and I love what they've done with BSG, but if they can break out into a broader market, good for them.

The show deserves to be seen by the widest possible audience. And Sunday night's have proven to be huge nights for network shows (like Grey's Anatomy before they moved it), why not test the waters with a cable show?

ChaosTitan
12-16-2006, 07:11 PM
And did anyone else think Baltar was going to wet his pants when Dean Stockwell offered him to Adama to "sweeten the pot?" :ROFL:

Jamesaritchie
12-16-2006, 07:35 PM
My best guess is that SciFi Channel is trying to broaden its potential market appeal by moving out of the traditional "dead zone" of Friday night programming. BSG has received a lot of mainstream attention in recent months (like the covers of Entertainment Weekly, TV Guide, and other magazines), and it's smart to latch onto that. I love SF and I love what they've done with BSG, but if they can break out into a broader market, good for them.

The show deserves to be seen by the widest possible audience. And Sunday night's have proven to be huge nights for network shows (like Grey's Anatomy before they moved it), why not test the waters with a cable show?

With so much dead air time on the SciFi Channel, why not have it on in both time slots.

ChaosTitan
12-18-2006, 01:36 AM
With so much dead air time on the SciFi Channel, why not have it on in both time slots.

Too many original series, not enough time on Friday nights. I think that both Stargates are returning soon, and will probably be paired with Dr. Who.

It also looks like they are trying to create/build an audience for "The Dresden Files" by pairing it with BSG. TDF will air at 9pm, BSG at 10pm starting January 21.

allion
12-18-2006, 04:26 AM
And did anyone else think Baltar was going to wet his pants when Dean Stockwell offered him to Adama to "sweeten the pot?" :ROFL:

YES! Best reaction ever. Guess Baltar missed the meeting where they discussed that idea.

For anyone in Canada, any news if they are moving the showtime here as well? I like the Saturday night timeslot we have. Nothing else on TV Saturday evenings.

(Yes, I know I should be doing something more productive like writing instead of watching the telly)

Karen

ChaosTitan
12-18-2006, 04:44 AM
(Yes, I know I should be doing something more productive like writing instead of watching the telly)

Karen

I justify it by watching from my desk and writing during commercial breaks. ;)

ChunkyC
12-19-2006, 04:54 AM
For anyone in Canada, any news if they are moving the showtime here as well? I like the Saturday night timeslot we have. Nothing else on TV Saturday evenings.
Sunday evenings too on Space, if the blurb at the end of the show was correct. Works for me, I always watch it when it repeats Sunday afternoon anyway, evening will be even better. :)

By the way, as for nothing on TV on Saturday night, are you NUTS?!

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/)

My gawd, and she's a Canadian.... ;)

allion
12-26-2006, 06:35 AM
By the way, as for nothing on TV on Saturday night, are you NUTS?!

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/)

My gawd, and she's a Canadian.... ;)

Yep, I was six months old or so when the Leafs last won the Cup, and every year since I am disappointed. Hockey just isn't what it used to be (for me). I still watch playoffs, if they aren't on too late in the Eastern time zone. :)

TVO or the History channel usually has a decent movie on, but I think I should probably be writing instead of numbing my mind watching TV.

But I'm diverting from the original thread, so I'm going to leave my TV habits here until BG starts up again, or until I hear some good story news to pass on about the rest of the season.

Karen

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:16 AM

:e2thud:

Did they really just...? Argh!!!!!

And you just know that nothing about this will be resolved until season frakking four!!!!!!

Shwebb
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
No.

They left too many questions unanswered for this to have been the end of that character. Which meant that my husband and I sat after the end of the show trying to figure out how they're going to use her.

But it bothers me that I'm not gonna see her much on the show, anymore. Loved her character.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
A clue is that she reached for a yellow and black striped handle moments before the ship broke apart. One can assume it was for the ejection seat.

Thing is, they showed Adama with his model ship, which had to be much after the event. If she had ejected in a thick atmosphere like that, she'd have to be picked up pretty fast if she was to survive. Adama would then be told immediately. So seeing him upset, probably hours later, means that as far as he knows, she's gone.

Then again, who says she had to be picked up by humans? My bet is that she really did see a cylon raider and that's who grabbed her right after she ejected.

Anonymisty
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
The popular theory at my house is that she's one of the Final Five.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
SPOILERS!

Ron Moore said in a recent interview that Starbuck was definitely not a Cylon.

But barring unreported tensions on set (or a huge blow up of IsaiahGate proportions), she just can't be dead. As much as I love most of the other characters (Helo has become a new favorite this season), the show has always been Starbuck and Apollo.

The next few eps are supposed to focus on Baltar's trial, so who knows when we'll get a resolution to this.

ChunkyC
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I can't see her being one of the final five, that would be way too much. We already have one character from the original series being a cylon in this one (Boomer).

But -- I'm wondering if Kara thinks she's being led to something by that dillhole she's been seeing in her dreams. The 'step through to the other side' stuff. So, she knows she saw a raider. If she ejects, it'll grab her and maybe, just maybe, she'll get the answers she's been seeking.

At least that's one way it might go.

ChaosTitan
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
My only quibble with the theory that she did eject before her ship exploded was that Lee was watching her the entire time. He would have seen it...

Edit: I just rewatched the end. Now I'm not convinced her ship exploded at all. They kept calling it "the point of no return," and when Adama asked what happened, Lee said, "She went in."

It looked like her ship could have passed through something. Some sort of cloud or energy barrier. Lee said something else right before he said "We lost her," but I just can't make out the words. I need to figure out my closed captioning thingie.

Maybe it was a portal to Earth. ;)

Jamesaritchie
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Hate to say it, but we've given up on Battlestar. For me, it's been getting less and less interesting, and I just can't justify the time spent watching it.

Anonymisty
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
...They kept calling it "the point of no return," and when Adama asked what happened, Lee said, "She went in."

When she zoned the first time, and kept chasing the raider into the storm, someone (Sharon? Dee? I don't recall for sure who.) said that the pressure on the planet was so high that if she dropped to a certain level in the atmosphere, she wouldn't be able to pull herself out, and Adama said she'd be crushed before she landed.

Shadow_Ferret
03-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Hate to say it, but we've given up on Battlestar. For me, it's been getting less and less interesting, and I just can't justify the time spent watching it.
I gave up on it when they made Apollo fat. That just didn't ring true to his character, IMO.

ChaosTitan
03-06-2007, 06:56 AM
When she zoned the first time, and kept chasing the raider into the storm, someone (Sharon? Dee? I don't recall for sure who.) said that the pressure on the planet was so high that if she dropped to a certain level in the atmosphere, she wouldn't be able to pull herself out, and Adama said she'd be crushed before she landed.

I do remember that, which is an interesting theory, since someone mentioned that the planet's radiation was messing with Dradis, and their other systems. So how did they really know what was below that certain level? Hmmmm....? ;)

dragonjax
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
<< SPOILER >>

She can't be gone permanently. They had way too much build-up about Kara's destiny, about how special she is, about the cylon knowing her better than she knew herself. If her destiny was merely to die, that's a HUGE ripoff. It's got to be something more substantial. I have no doubt she will return, transformed somehow.

Sheryl Nantus
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
we really just lost interest this season when it became too preachy - it's one thing to do a good story about characters dealing with their problems; another to start preaching this cause and that cause. Did we really need to do the whole pro/anti-union thang? Not to mention that most of the characters have become pretty well shadows of themselves thanks to the lame writing.

jmo, of course.

and I *heart* Peter Puck. Love to have all of those eps on tape if it were possible.

:)

ChaosTitan
03-16-2007, 02:15 AM
:snoopy: It lives!

This is slightly spoilerish, but I was very pleased at the emotional follow-through in this week's episode (re: last week's loss). The scenes between the elder and younger Adama were fantastic. Some of the best acting we've seen from Jamie Bamber all year.

I've seen shows treat the death of a main character with amnesia, seeming to forget that anything at all happened the previous ep. Not that I expected BSG to be that crass. ;)

maestrowork
03-16-2007, 02:29 AM
LALALALALA.. I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. I haven't seen the last few episodes yet. Don't tell me. Don't tell me.

ChaosTitan
03-16-2007, 02:45 AM
:Ssh:

That'll teach ya.

dragonjax
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
LOVED last night's episode!

And next week is the season finale! Any guesses on what's going to happen?

SPOILER AHEAD

SPOILER:

I'm sure Kara turns up again. And that we get more about the symbiotic relationship between Caprica 6 and Baltar.

(And wow -- how weird was it seeing Lee in a suit?)

ChaosTitan
03-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Lee in a suit? :heart: :heart: :heart: Yum.

Okay, so the thing with the music? Only Tighe, Tori and Sam could hear it (that we know of). Tighe was a prisoner of the Cylons on New Caprica. Sam was sick for a long time on New Caprica. Tori? Who knows?

Conditioning? Brainwashing? Hmmmm.

I was surprised that Roslin's cancer is back. I hope they don't go the whole "Starchild" route again and have Hera's blood fix it. It obviously didn't cure her the first time, just gave her a reprieve. Although I don't see Athena and Helo being willing donors again. Not after last time. :tongue

And my jaw hit the ground when Lee resigned. That last exchange of words about integrity just killed me. :cry:

mkcbunny
03-25-2007, 01:17 AM
I thought Lee looked odd in a suit, as well. Smaller.

I'm thinking, re the Five, that no one can be a cylon who has a family history [like the Adamas], or a childhood that we know of. Once we saw Starbuck as a little girl, she couldn't be one. That said, someone important has to be [or should be] one, based on the reaction #3 had when she saw the faces, before she got packed away like canned tuna.

ChaosTitan
03-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Okay, the season finale airs here in about nine hours. Tonight we meet one of the final five Cylons. A mini-spoiler in last week's Entertainment Weekly has pegged the Cylon as a male.

So for the hell of it, I'm making three guesses as to who I think the Cylon is:

Lt. Gaeda - He's in a position of authority (sort of) in the Fleet. He was by Baltar's side during the entire occupation. We know next to nothing about his background.

Chief Tyrol - He's a character we all know and love, but again, we know very little about his actual background. Yes, he led the Resistance on New Caprica, but if he doesn't know he's one of the Final Five (and we don't know that they know), it works. Also, he has a baby with Callie. The only main characters other people on board with kids? Helo and Sharon.

Tom Zarek - He's smooth, he's smart, he's in a position to influence people and get information. Yes, he a Colonial criminal, but we know (think Boomer) that some of the models were living in the Colonies long before the attack.

Anyone else? Guesses? Thoughts?

mdin
03-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I bet it'll be that tall dude who was the sports star. Or the crusty old guy with the eye patch.

dpaterso
03-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Nah, I don't believe that spoiler for a micron, I'm sticking with the girls:

Madame President
Apollo's missus
Chief's missus

-Derek

mkcbunny
03-26-2007, 04:19 AM
I've always been partial to the idea that the president was one, but I presume that if she has cancer that (a) they've run every test in the book on her, and (b) cylons don't get cancer.

Unless the cancer is a lie.

But I don't think that if she were a cylon, she'd know it. Therefore, if she believed she were human, she wouldn't be faking cancer. So it just doesn't seem plausible now that she's one of the five. Which is too bad. She would have been a good one.

ChaosTitan
03-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Lee's speech at trial: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

The verdict: :rolleyes:

Cylon revelations: :Huh: :e2smack:

The final thirty seconds: :banana:

No new episodes until 2008: :eek: :e2cry: :Headbang:

mdin
03-26-2007, 10:05 AM
I bet it'll be that tall dude who was the sports star. Or the crusty old guy with the eye patch.

Who's your daddy?

Though I think we may find out none of them are Cylons.

2008? Wtf? SciFi channel is getting all HBO on us.

Shwebb
03-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Ah, but Baltar had to have gotten off. Either through the trial, or by escaping. (Both, in this case!) I love how he plays the opportunist so very well. So completely concerned about himself only, really. Except maybe for that Cylon chick whose name I can't remember at the moment.

I do wonder about Starbuck . . . so cool!

And that music was lovely--I guess I'm a bit clueless, but who are the "five?" And are they the other Cylons?

And another thing--I keep hearing whispers of another race/entity getting involved, here? Would they be the source of the music?

You're right, Kelly. Almost a year before the series starts again. That royally sucks.

mkcbunny
03-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm thinking maybe those four jumped the gun a bit. It seems so obvious their connection might be being cylons, so maybe that's not it. And isn't it a big leap from hearing mysterious music that isn't there to, "Hey, I'm a a cylon," especially for Saul. [Maybe the music tagged along with Starbuck from old Earth somehow.]

And ditto on WtF for 2008. 2008?!

Baltar's got to come back as a wacko religious leader. I predict a new 'do. Maybe he'll shave his head, or maybe he'll just cut it all off and go blond. Bald would make more of a statement. White hair is a little too Malcolm McDowell/Star Trek: Generations.

mkcbunny
03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
2008? Wtf? SciFi channel is getting all HBO on us.

Haven't you heard, next season will be four episodes, and then they'll cancel it.

mdin
03-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I just saw there's going to be a 2-hour BSG movie in the fall, but it's about the Pegasus after the attack.

I also saw next season is "probably" the last one.

mdin
03-26-2007, 10:45 AM
but who are the "five?" And are they the other Cylons?

The "five" are the five humanoid cylons we haven't met yet, and we're now supposed to know who four of them are... crusty eyepatch guy, pudgy Chief guy, hot presidential assistant gal, and tall sports dude.

Cath
03-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Haven't you heard, next season will be four episodes, and then they'll cancel it.
And I'm afraid, after that last episode, I really couldn't care less.

I've been tuning out the last half of this season, but I watched this one to see if they'd pull off another season 1 type ending. They really didn't.

It read to me as if they had an idea they wouldn't be renewed - they seem to be setting up plots that can be resolved in a movie.

I just don't care what happens to them any more. :Shrug:

tourdeforce
03-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Bob Dylan in space!

You gotta love it.

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

I wonder if the gang of four are Cylons or saviors.

Shwebb
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Now that you've printed the lyrics, I remember each of the four quoting a line from that song as they were headed for the--was it an airlock? Whatever that room was.

That was eerie and wonderful.

MidnightMuse
03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
My viewing of this show is restricted to the previews they show while I'm watching something else - but I have to say, I've always figured they're gonna end this thing with EVERYONE turning out to be a Cylon.

Humans died out generations ago.

Or never existed.

carry on :D

Jamesaritchie
03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm really starting to hope next season is the last. There's still time to write a great final season, if they wrap everything up, but I've really reached the point where I don't care. The only way I'll watch a single episode next year is if I learn that it is the final season.

Adam Israel
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
There is an interview with Ron Moore here (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07085/770732-352.stm).

With a longer fourth season, I think they will bring this to an end. The door has been opened for at least one spin-off series, "Caprica" and I would like to think that the end of this series will provide them enough creative material to create a series from that (as long as they don't end the series on a cliffhanger).

I thought the finale was great. I knew Baltar was going to get off and the speech by Lee pretty accurately summed up my thoughts on it. Baltar is a coward and an asshole but the fleet is filled with them. The hints of music were a dead giveaway. I knew that had to be a sign of them being four of the final five. Now the speculation begins on who is the fifth and how they differ from the other Cylon models.

johnzakour
03-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I just hope this isn't going to be like the old show and they get to Earth and it's 1980. :)

I don't want to 7-8 months for 1980.

I do hope season IV is the final season and they wrap it up without a cliff hanger.

ChunkyC
03-26-2007, 10:33 PM
I just hope this isn't going to be like the old show and they get to Earth and it's 1980. :)
Oh, please gawd no. Having them reach Earth in the original series turned a decent show into a steaming pile of dung.

As for the four in the season-ender being cylons ... I think they very well could be. All the music they were hearing was 'in their heads.' As the colonel said, a switch in their minds was flipped. But how did it get flipped? By the one cylon we still don't know?

Watch it turn out that the cylons are the real first race and everyone else is their creation, not the other way around. ;)

eric11210
03-27-2007, 04:16 AM
Guys, didn't anyone notice the lawyer left his cane behind when he left Apollo? Isn't that a possible hint as to who the fifth cylon is? Oh, and in case this has been resolved somewhere else, I haven't been watching the show lately, but caught the last two episodes. So I suppose you guys who have been following it all along may know more than I do. . .

Eric

Anonymisty
03-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Guys, didn't anyone notice the lawyer left his cane behind when he left Apollo? Isn't that a possible hint as to who the fifth cylon is?

Could be. Personally I thought he was just showing Apollo the lengths to which he would go to win a case (faking worse injuries than he had).

I'm still holding out for Starbuck to be the fifth Cylon.

ChaosTitan
03-27-2007, 06:19 AM
My brain isn't cooperating, so I have a question: Do we know anything about Starbuck's dad? I don't recall anything, other than maybe a mention that he's dead. I'm curious, because I just had a wild and crazy thought...

dragonjax
03-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Could be. Personally I thought he was just showing Apollo the lengths to which he would go to win a case (faking worse injuries than he had).

I'm still holding out for Starbuck to be the fifth Cylon.

Right, the lawyer was faking the extent of his injuries -- going for the added sympathy as he defended the scum of the universe.

Starbuck isn't a cylon. She had a childhood and a destiny: her greater purpose was to find Earth and lead the fleet there. She was also groomed for four months to learn to love a cylon. Convenient, given who one of the final five is, no? (If, in fact, they really are...which I believe they are.)

Trying to figure out the shared dream. Caprica Six said she felt she had to protect Hera with her life...and she was about to walk into the light with Baltar. Who else was in the dream? Athena, who's long been in love with a human; Roslin, who has the blood of a hybrid in her; Caprica Six; and Hera. So maybe...

Oh, frakk it. I don't know. Off to mope until next year...

Serenity
03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
My brain isn't cooperating, so I have a question: Do we know anything about Starbuck's dad? I don't recall anything, other than maybe a mention that he's dead. I'm curious, because I just had a wild and crazy thought...

I want to know the thought!!!!!!! :e2poke:

ChaosTitan
03-27-2007, 05:55 PM
I want to know the thought!!!!!!! :e2poke:

Ouch! Quit that, you.

Well, for better or worse, here's the thought from last night: Starbuck has a destiny, right? Well, if Saul Tighe really is a Cylon, then the humanoid models have existed at least forty years (that's how long he's been in the service).

What if Starbuck's dad is the fifth model, and she's a hybrid? Like Hera. Because so far our favorite little starchild is the only other person with a destiny surrounding her (hence Caprica's need to protect her, the dreams, blah blah).

Again, just thinkin'....not like there's much else to do for nine + months. Grrrrr....

Lycius
03-31-2007, 12:11 AM
Starbuck is the 5th. It's fairly blatant.

Watch the episode that she "Dies". Pieces of her Mk II fly off when her ship blows.

I'm banking that the 4 revealed ARE cylons but there is a reason that the other cylons don't know about them and are forbidden to seek out who they are.

They've already stated there will be a feature film if season 4 is verified a while back. My money says that "Earth" isn't our Earth and is substantially more advanced or even that the final 5 are "Earthlings".

The final scene with the massive cylon fleet was odd since the fleet that has been chasing them since the beginning was getting small. I counted like 6 basestars in that half second clip. I don't think the big fleet is the same one we've been watching all along.

maestrowork
04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
I just caught up with the whole season. Wow. But I couldn't say I didn't foresee some of that -- they've been foreshadowing for months. I think Starbucks is the final one. That only makes sense.

Anyway, good show.

maestrowork
04-02-2007, 07:12 AM

I agree -- his last words were that he admired Apollo for being honest, even at a cost. Then he walked off without his cane -- it's clear what it means.

As for Starbuck and cylon... I really don't know. How would you explain why Starbuck said she'd been to Earth? And the whole "destiny" thing, plus the whole religious overtone? I am leaning toward Starbuck being the final one. But anything can happen.

I'm thinking that next season might very well be the last season. Unlike other shows that are mostly episodic with a broad story arc, this one is one continuous mystery, with a bit revealed every time. Eventually, they really must wrap things up before fans start to lose interest and patience... remember the X-Files? And now it's like "Who cares?" So if they're smart, they'll wrap this one up and maybe with a big cliffhanger and then end it with a feature film and lots of spin-offs.

tourdeforce
04-02-2007, 06:21 PM
What if-

Earth was the original colony...

And humans left Earth and set off into space and established the 12 colonies...

(otherwise, how the heck would the 12 colonies know where the 13th one eventually ended up... unless they had come from there).

And the humans left because...

Cylons (or an early version of Cylons) had taken over Earth...

And once Galactica reaches Earth they find...

a wasteland...

or a Cylon homeworld...

or they discover that they themselves are all Cylons and...

the humans on Earth must fight them for their own survival...

tourdeforce
04-02-2007, 06:26 PM
On another note, can anyone tell me why Adama identifies himself as "Galactica Actual" when speaking over the radio?

Is that a real designation currently used by the military?

Is the commander of the ship always "__________ Actual"? Or is it just a BSG thing?

Lycius
04-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I know they use CAG which is Commander Air Group when they are in space which is surprisingly devoid of air.........

Lycius
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
You have a good point though. I bet Earth is the origin point and that the lords of kobol are the first cylons.

It wouldn't surpise me if the secret 5 are cylons sent to observe the 12 colonies of humans that left.

maestrowork
04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
What if-

There are certainly a lot of possibilities. And the questions: What do the Cylon want? They go through the whole trouble eradicating the humans, and yet they want to live like them. They even want to have babies and fall in love with humans. And they have gone so deep with the infiltration. I mean the Chief? Colonel Tigh? So what do they want? Are they friends or foes? I think once we figure that one, the rest will follow. But certainly many possibilities, and Earth and Kara/Starbuck are definitely a key to the final mystery.

ChaosTitan
04-02-2007, 07:59 PM
There are certainly a lot of possibilities. And the questions: What do the Cylon want? They go through the whole trouble eradicating the humans, and yet they want to live like them. They even want to have babies and fall in love with humans.

One thing we do know, all the way back from season one, is that the twelve humanoid models cannot reproduce. And for some reason, they don't have more than those twelve models, nor do they seem intent on creating more models.

Per Sharon/Helo, hybrid children can only be made out of love. That was one of the reasons I suspected Chief Tyrol as a Cylon--he and Callie are the only other couple on board with a kid.

The Cylons, for the most part, want to evolve. Caprica knows there is something special about Hera, which is why she wants to protect the child with her life. Hera is the next step in the Cylon's evolution. They need humans in order to reproduce and reach "the next level" of existence. Without humans, their lives will remain static.

That's my theory, at any rate. :)

maestrowork
04-02-2007, 08:07 PM
And yet they just decimated billions of humans and are still hunting them like dogs? That's really some fucked up Cylon logics. And you said Chief and Callie are the only couple with a child... isn't that odd? Of 38000+ people on board, there are no other newborns in two years? Do you think it means that the humans are a dying breed as well, and they need the Cylons to reproduce? Just thinking out loud.

Lycius
04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Baby was born in the first season. Billy came in and told the president that a baby was born.

It's the only baby on board the Galactica as far as I can tell, other than Hera.

There were also some babies on New Caprica.

Christ I'm a dork.

Lycius
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I always pegged Ellen as a cylon and now that we find Tigh is a cylon she very well might have been one.

maestrowork
04-02-2007, 08:33 PM
But there are only 12 models....

Lycius
04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
That's assuming that Starbuck is the 12th. If she's not a cylon then we are short one.

mkcbunny
05-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Christ I'm a dork.
Always nice, after a long absence, to find others waiting where you left them. Comforting. Like home and beef stew.

small axe
05-16-2007, 02:58 PM
On another note, can anyone tell me why Adama identifies himself as "Galactica Actual" when speaking over the radio?

Is that a real designation currently used by the military?

Is the commander of the ship always "__________ Actual"? Or is it just a BSG thing?

In the military they say "Actual" to separate the radioman speaking (relaying the command) from the commander giving the command, I was told.

dragonjax
05-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Is it 2008 yet?

ChaosTitan
07-17-2007, 07:27 AM
I attended a SFF convention this weekend, and I had the great fortune to hear Aaron "Chief Tyrol" Douglas speak. He had two Q&A's and is as charming and genuinely funny a man as you'd want to meet. Quite the opposite of the Chief (which is, I suppose, to be expected).

He dropped a few tidbits about the upcoming Season Four (mostly concerning the first four eps that they've actually shot), so if you don't want any spoilers, skip the rest of this post.

First line on the first day: I am Aaron Douglas, and yes, I am a Cylon.

He made that point several times over the two Q&A's, so it's a pretty safe bet that yes, he and the other three (Tighe, Tori and Sam) are definitely Cylons. But the other big hint he dropped was that the Final Five are different from the other seven models. The Five are one-off's (his word). If they die, they are dead. There is no resurrection into a new body.

Hmmm....

The first four eps are said (by him) to be brutal. The Four are trying to cope with the knowledge of what they are, without letting anyone else know. They meet covertly.

I may have misinterpreted one of Aaron's statements, but I think an important character is killed in one of those first four eps.

Nothing on who the elusive Final Cylon is; he never said specifically if he did or didn't know.

Um...if I've forgotten anything, I'm sure Serenity will chime in. ;)

Random trivia tidbit: From the miniseries, right after Galactica finds out that the colonies are under attack. In the hangar deck, Chief has a line (paraphrasing): This is what we trained for people, so let's get the old girl ready to roll and kick some Cylon ass!

Completely ad-libbed. The scene as-written had no dialogue, but Aaron improvised it. Ron Moore loved it, and a classic line was born that even made it into the promos.

Serenity
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Spoilers here too... you have been warned.

Poor Aaron actually found out about being a Cylon way before he was supposed to. He was in one of the writer's offices waiting for his friend and saw the script. He had to keep it to himself for the longest time, which was hard because he really didn't want to be a Cylon. So, once the script was officially given to them, ten minutes later he was in the producer's office, going. "Uh... no."

But, he said they sat him down, talked to him, gave him a bit of insight where they were going and he is a believer now. He told all of us that he thought we would be too.

Another bit of Trivia: Question for Aaron: Boxers or Briefs? Aaron's answer: Neither. :e2brows: Which he told us has caused some interesting times on the set, especially during wardrobe fittings. They've learned, however. And now on the clothing racks you'll see uniforms, flight suits... and underwear for Aaron.

lisanevin
08-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Spoilers here too... you have been warned.Poor Aaron actually found out about being a Cylon way before he was supposed to.
which character is Aaron.

I too mirror many comments on this forum concerning the weak direction that BG is going.

I think I'll go whine on Fantasy Book Spot: http://www.fantasybookspot.com/
about the demise of scifi shows -waaa.

rihannsu
08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
which character is Aaron.

Aaron Douglas, who plays Chief Tyrol.

I love watching Aaron. I remember his (all to brief) apperance on SG-1 several years ago and that's when I first developed my crush on him.

robeiae
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Like Diana, I can't get into the new one at all. I tried watching it, but it was a big zero for me. Maybe it's because there's no Face, er...Starbuck.

Also, Voltar was awesome in old one.
Okay, so I'm sure everyone's been wondering about my avatar...

No? Well, up you're's, then!

Anyway, I finally gave the series a second chance. I've been watching it for a month or so now, from the beginning. I'm up to season three.

I've discovered that I actually like it, but not as a replacement for the original.

But...is it just me, or is every episode about six additional minutes of explicit footage away from being Cinemax soft-core? Don't these people and robots ever think of anything besides sex?!?

maestrowork
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Don't these people and robots ever think of anything besides sex?!?

Would you, if you have a cylon like Six or Sharon?

childeroland
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Nope.