Confession

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
It's been forty days since my last submission.

At the beginning of the summer, short stories were flying out of me. Polished them all up, sent them all out, gathered many rejections. It deflated me.

But just now I decided to pull out the old submission tracker and realized it's been forty days since my last sub. That one is still out. Today, I sent it a friend. Pulled out a four-time reject, read over it, decided that I still like it and sent it off to someone I hope will like it, too.

I feel better now. Stories in drawers never sell. Wish me luck!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck - gotta keep on trying, but I know it's hard.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I know what you mean! It can get really discouraging after a while to keep getting rejected. You made a step in the right direction, though, by trying again. Keep on the path! I know it's hard to stay motivated, but you're right--stories in drawers don't sell. While you're mustering the motivation to query, how about mustering some to write new stuff, too?

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. You know you can always come to us when you need a little kick in the pants!

Melina

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes those short breaks are good for the soul. Now you're ready to get back in, refreshed and strong! good luck.

sdarb

You want me to write what?
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you!! And best of luck. I've been working for 6 months trying to get a freelance writing gig (so I can begin to make plans to quit my full time "career") and just when I thought it wasn't going to happen, I got my first acceptance letter. So, hang in and keep at it!!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I've actually had two acceptances this year, but my mass submission of six short stories to a dozen-plus markets resulted in at least two rejections a week.

That gets old.

I've turned my attention back to the novel I'm revising, and diverting myself from that by writing my third and planning my fourth. Oh, and looking for more markets for my rejects. Mamma wants to earn enough to deduct her laptop!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I have changed my mode of operations with regards to submissions and rejections. I used to keep sending them out, with the theory that ten more submissions would spring up to replace the rejected one. Now, if I receive a rejection, I don't send the piece out again until I have completed at least one more rewrite, maybe several.