PDA

View Full Version : A Big-S Somebody wants to cover me!

Gwenzilla
09-21-2006, 04:37 AM
I've heard through a bandmate that a Big Name Artist may want to cover one of my songs, and that I should be expecting to hear from Artist's personal assistant, who might be sending me a contract.

The song in question has been recorded only once, on one of my band's CDs. I understand that if a song's been covered before, no permissions direct from the songwriter are needed and the covering artist only has to pay the mechanical licensing fees.

So I'm curious as to what kind of contract this might be, if I can expect an up-front payment from Artist if Artist decides to cover my song, or if some Artists send around contracts that essentially give them the right to cover a song first, if that makes any sense.

I've never sold a song, obviously: I've always just written for myself and for the band. If anyone has experience or advice, I'd love to hear it. :-)

JennaGlatzer
09-21-2006, 04:45 AM
I don't have a clue how the songwriting biz works, but I just want to say CONGRATS! How exciting!

alleycat
09-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Congratulations.

Be sure to talk to someone in the know about this things.

ac

poetinahat
09-21-2006, 05:02 AM
When it happens, you have to let us know -- I need the flimsiest excuse to spend money on music. Will you do "bookplate" type autographs for us?

Gwenzilla
09-21-2006, 10:50 AM
When it happens, you have to let us know -- I need the flimsiest excuse to spend money on music. Will you do "bookplate" type autographs for us?

Sure, I'll do any kind of autographs you like. You don't have to wait until Big Name Artist covers my songs, though: you can hear a few of them on my web page (linked in my .sig). I won't post a link to where you can buy mine or my band's CDs here, but there are links from the band's web site and my blog, or if you'd like to know, just pm and ask. :)

(I never was really good at this 'shameless promotion' thing.)

Gwenzilla
09-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Be sure to talk to someone in the know about this things.

That's why I asked here. I head AW was the fount of all knowledge!

Gwenzilla
09-21-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't have a clue how the songwriting biz works, but I just want to say CONGRATS! How exciting!

:D Thank you :D

I'm trying to remain blasť about it all, but I admit I've been feeling pretty cheesy for the last couple of days.

jbal
10-08-2006, 03:04 AM
I'm late, I know. Just found this board believe it or not.
Having been on the other end of this scenario: I think they just have to pay you per copy sold, about four cents per if I'm not mistaken. There may be more money in publishing. I have a friend who has some songs published and makes royalties that way. I'll ask if you still need info on this.

Gwenzilla
10-08-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm late, I know. Just found this board believe it or not.
Having been on the other end of this scenario: I think they just have to pay you per copy sold, about four cents per if I'm not mistaken. There may be more money in publishing. I have a friend who has some songs published and makes royalties that way. I'll ask if you still need info on this.

*nod* I've been on the other side of the scenario as well, and I do know what mechanical license fees are and how they work. My understanding, however, is that while only mechnical license fees need be paid if the song has already been covered (that is, if anybody besides the original artist has recorded it), there may be some leeway when a song is covered for the first time and permission must be granted. I'm still curious as to whether or not Big Name Artists regularly pay fees beyond mechanical licenses for first cover rights, if that makes any sense.

Of course, this is all completely in the aether, as Big Name Artist and zir organisation haven't been in touch with me yet, so I may never know the answer to my humble question. :)

JustinThorne
10-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Dunno about your scenario but been on the other end... was going to release a cover of a David Gray tune... I was going to have to pay so many pence per minute of the tune multiplied by the number of CDs pressed... not sold! It worked out quote expensive so I left it off in the end and made it available at my Website for free.

Simran
11-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Congrats Gwen!