Personalized Partial Rejection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sadness. I did a rewrite according to an agent's suggestions and sent them the partial. I got the rejection back today. It was a very nice, rejection though. I'd love to work with this agent. She said, "While I do think the new narrating strategy enlivens these pages, I'm sorry to say that ultimately I didn't feel the writing here to be quite mature/polished enough at this time." She also said, "I encourage you to continue to write and hone your craft. I do see the seed of a great project here and wish all the best in realizing your goals for it." That's pretty cool that an agent sees potential in me and my project.

I plan on querying her for my next project, for sure, if I don't get an agent.

Is it good manners to reply with thanks to someone who gives you a personal rejection, or is it just seen as an annoyance?

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I'm sorry Meggie. I just sent you a PM to see whether you had heard from this agent yet, because I just received a rejection from her today as well. :( *Virtual hug*

And I have no idea about responding with the thank-you thing. It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it would be appreciated by the agent. Well... good luck with future queries. The fact that she requested a rewrite clearly means she saw potential.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely tell her "thank-you." Agents do appreciate and remember thank-you notes (NOT notes asking "Why'd you reject meeee?!!!" but simple "Thanks for your time/feedback.")

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I'm not an agent (of course.:)) but I *always* love unexpected thank yous but mail or e-mail. I can't imagine how that would be a bad move. I've written a few myself.:)

Maprilynne

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone likes to be appreciated. Just keep it 100% positive, even if you disagreed with any of the feedback.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a thank you. Hopefully, in the future, if I query with another project, she'll remember me in a positive light.

Status
Not open for further replies.