Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordworm

Impotent Omnipotent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gxo.com
I came across this press release today, and it has me a bit confused...
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/9/prweb439112.htm

Angela Hunt, Mompreneur, author and artist, has just opened a new small genre press in Los Angeles, specializing in science fiction and fantasy that promotes a better world and a better tomorrow in conjunction with Lulu (www.lulu.com), the world’s fastest-growing provider of print-on-demand books.

Hunt Press is a small press devoted to publishing stories that give hope to readers in a field dominated by dystopic science fiction and too much high fantasy that reads like retreads of Lord of the Rings. Noting the success of websites such as HappyNews.com and Cute Overload, Mrs. Hunt feels that the time is more than ripe for a genre infusion of work that says humanity has a chance in this or any world.

I'm not familiar with the term "mompreneur" (or "momtrepreneur", depending on whether you read the text of the press release or its "about" info and website). I'm also a bit fuzzy on the concept of using a POD vendor like Lulu to become a "small genre press".

Does this business model compute? I'm not sure whether to look at it as another twist on vanity publishing or a legitimate attempt to harness POD technology for a specific literary genre, and I couldn't see too much info on the website (www.huntpress.com) to clarify what it's about.

huw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.velluminous.com
Wordworm said:
I'm not familiar with the term "mompreneur" (or "momtrepreneur", depending on whether you read the text of the press release or its "about" info and website).
Mom-Entrepreneur, I imagine.

Wordworm said:
Does this business model compute? I'm not sure whether to look at it as another twist on vanity publishing or a legitimate attempt to harness POD technology for a specific literary genre, and I couldn't see too much info on the website (www.huntpress.com) to clarify what it's about.

A legitimate attempt can be misguided, and that's my feeling here. Lulu's print pricing must be crippling when used this way.

It's also worth noting that the publisher on Amazon is listed as Lulu, suggesting that Hunt Press is a publishing service provider rather than an actual publisher.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I never realized I'm a daddypreneur, which is just what I needed, another label to make me sound more important than I really am.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
It's a cutesy-poo word that a lot of the WAHMs have adopted.

Personally, I don't see a need to identify myself as a mom when I'm conducting business, unless I'm looking for work that involves mom things, like child care, cooking, or being a taxi service.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Wordworm said:
Hunt Press is a small press devoted to publishing stories that give hope to readers in a field dominated by dystopic science fiction and too much high fantasy that reads like retreads of Lord of the Rings.
Err... what field is dominated by dystopic science fiction? Certainly not book publishing at the moment.

I quite like dystopic science fiction, but my local Borders store doesn't have a huge influx of it. In fact, there seems to be more humourous sci-fi coming out now than dystopic. (Note: This is not a scientific survey. Just my vague impression)

Noting the success of websites such as HappyNews.com and Cute Overload, Mrs. Hunt feels that the time is more than ripe for a genre infusion of work that says humanity has a chance in this or any world.
Noting the popularity of suppliers who give away this product for free, Mrs Hunt feels that the time is ripe to compete with them by selling a similar product...

I wish her well, though ...

Mac

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I think it just means she's using Lulu as her printer, whereas she would choose the books, sell them, and pay the authors. I think it probably violates some kind of terms Lulu has, however, to say she is working in "conjunction" with them. This is a very cost prohibitive way to set yourself up as a "publisher" (and, since she doesn't own the ISBN, she's not really the publisher, she's the preparer).

Status
Not open for further replies.