PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Race Fans?

Soccer Mom
09-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I can't be the only AR fan here. I am addicted to this show and have been since season one. Now a new race is off and running!

Whoot!

So--who do you like/hate? What do you think of a team being eliminated at a non-check point?

writerterri
09-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes! I love that show. I watched but was putting kids to bed at the same time.

The lady that climbed the wall with her prosthetic leg has my vote.

I missed what they were eating that was so gross. Remember?

alleycat
09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I hate that show.

Each to their own, I say.

cuteshoes
09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
I LOVE this show.

Not surprised the alpha males won. So predictable.

I need another episode before I can form favorites. I get confused during the first episode because they usually don't all get airtime if their in the middle of hte pack.

writerterri
09-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Sorry, I hate that show.

Each to their own, I say.

Grinch!? Is that you?!!

:tongue

alleycat
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Grinch!? Is that you?!!

:tongue
I was born with a heart two sizes too small.

( . . . but everything else is big! :-)

writerterri
09-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I was born with a heart two sizes too small.

( . . . but everything else is big! :-)

How big?

FatTire
09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I used to love this show, now I just like it. They seem to cast the same type of people. The gay couple, the older couple, the token "jewish/muslim/mormon" group. But I still watch.

I have no favorite right now. The fish eyes were gross. I love where they go though.

smiley10000
09-20-2006, 11:41 PM
When I had a TV (and lived in Toronto), this was my favourite show! I loved watching all the interesting places they travel to. I was hooked in the second season.

The teams are usually rather cliche though...

Keep me updated on the excitement...
:) 10000

Sarita
09-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I love this show. I hate reality TV, but this show is so cool. Everyone is like "why do you like that show?" and my answer is always "Because it's a race that is SO amazing..." Last season was the best. I loved the hippies.

The only thing I'm sure of so far is that I don't like the single mom duo. Come on. How can you trash talk a girl with one leg? Really? How can you?

writerterri
09-21-2006, 12:45 AM
I used to love this show, now I just like it. They seem to cast the same type of people. The gay couple, the older couple, the token "jewish/muslim/mormon" group. But I still watch.

I have no favorite right now. The fish eyes were gross. I love where they go though.

They should cast all pms'ing females. It would be really good for about 2 weeks. The producer could feed them all wine and twinkies and we watch what happens.

Soccer Mom
09-21-2006, 02:26 AM
so far no one has really pushed my buttons, except the single moms trash-talking was getting old. Good grief. She got on the plane before you did. The same plane you had tickets to. Get over it.

I love the location they visit. I love seeing who can work together and who will implode. It's the only reality show I would ever dream of doing. That wall looked tough. Yes, they cast to type, but sometimes the stereotypes surprise me. Then again: Lake and Michelle. *sighs* Why must there always be a stupid southern team. I promise you that intelligent people do live south of the mason-dixon line. Really.

allion
09-21-2006, 03:13 AM
I love AR. A show that lets you see the world and you don't have to pay for it.

That said, you can tell we will have the customary whiner/cryer couple. The bubbly beauty queens don't seem too dumb yet, but I think they did ask if the Muslim pair worshipped Buddha. I like the coal miner couple - they seem real, and she made it up the wall. Good for her.

I did think it a bit cheap to have an elimination that wasn't the end of a race stage - kind of like, "Fooled ya! See, we can toy with you at will!"

I guess it's on Sunday night now? I love Phil and his eyebrow.

Karen

Soccer Mom
09-21-2006, 04:59 AM
I'm afraid the single mom's are shaping into the whiner team. I like the blond triathaletes (sp?), but his cheerleading would make me crazy. "You can do it, baby. COme one!" Sheesh. I'm climbing. Shut up already! :D

Soccer Mom
09-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Okay, week 2 and I definitely don't like the dating couple that keep yelling at each other. Kim and Rob? Everything caused a melt down. I liked the Kentucky couple. There is no pretending. They just are who they are and I love 'em for it.

allion
09-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Every race they manage to find a pretty girl who is brittle and cannot handle dirt, mud, or people from other countries. She will be paired with a volatile boyfriend/husband who screams at her when things go the least bit wrong.

I present this year's entry - Kimberley.

Mongolia looks rather barren. The people there seem cheerful despite this.

How could two beauty queens misplace a hat? It's an accessory, after all.

I was expecting the cheerleaders to end up in Russia - where were they driving??

All in all, a fun episode. Rampaging yak creatures, people dragged by horses, car troubles of all kinds, and the related screaming.

Karen

Soccer Mom
09-26-2006, 05:56 AM
And next week we have "line cutters" and a nasty catfight that looks between the queens and the beauty queens. Good fun!

The runaway Yak was my favorite part :D

Becky Writes
09-26-2006, 06:24 AM
I am a huge Amazing Race fan. I keep begging DH for us to audition for it. I'd love to be on there, except for the fact that I have a fear of flying. Guess, I'll have to get over that.

I like the nice normal couple from Kentucky or WV --where ever, I can't remember. I find myself pulling for them. I don't like the beauty queens. I find the cheerleaders and the gay couple annoying as hell. I guess the cheer girls are gone now, though. The one-legged women and her boyfriend are quickly getting on my nerves.

I guess that's my opinion so far..

PeeDee
09-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Folks! For your own Amazing Race, follow the simple instructions below, then have fun!

1) Kidnap four neighborhood children quietly, in the nighttime hours. Keep them in your basement, let them rest, give them some water.

2) Take them to the middle of the nearest desert or heavily wooded area. Got a swamp! Perfect!

3) Give them one (1) bottle of water, and a baseball bat, and then retreat to the safety of your SUV. TIP: Leave them all tied up, to give you time to get away!

4) Lovin' those high-powered binoculars! Watch them tykes fight their way back to civilization!

Soccer Mom
09-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Do they have to be neighbor hood kids or can you just use your own?

PeeDee
09-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Your own kids will work fine, so long as you don't get all "motherly" when they get clubbed during one of the early fights. It's a great play date!

Eric Summers
09-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I watch it from time to time. I really liked the "Family Edition" though I was totally bummed when the family that had the two small kids got knocked out.

This season looks like it is going well, I like the coal miner family and of course the girl with the prosthetic leg. The models irk me.

Soccer Mom
09-26-2006, 07:41 PM
If my boys aren't fighting, they're asleep. I'm immune to watching them club one another. Now I just need to think of some twisted roadblocks to occupy them. Hmmmm....bungee jumping? Hang gliding? Cow tipping the really angry bull next farm over?

Eric Summers
09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Every race they manage to find a pretty girl who is brittle and cannot handle dirt, mud, or people from other countries. She will be paired with a volatile boyfriend/husband who screams at her when things go the least bit wrong.

Did you watch Treasure Hunters? They had one of those girls on there who was screaming at her own parents cause she was tired. I hated her, literally.

Soccer Mom
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I watch it from time to time. I really liked the "Family Edition" though I was totally bummed when the family that had the two small kids got knocked out.

This season looks like it is going well, I like the coal miner family and of course the girl with the prosthetic leg. The models irk me.

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy it after the family with little kids were eliminated. The models aren't so bad. At least they are better behaved than the frat brats last year. What obnoxious horn dogs they were!

September skies
09-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I love AR - and have since season one. I so loved the hippies from last year and wanted them to win. The only season I did not care for was the "family of four" season, just not the same. But I watched anyway. Once the little kids were out of the way, it got better -- but I still prefer it this way -- only two on a team.

Soccer Mom
09-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I just can't bond with four people. You don't get to see the personalities like you do with the two person teams. I don't mind the girl witht he prosthetic leg, but the boyfriend is annoying. He treats her like a five year old and I think she's starting to get fed up.

Sarita
09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't mind the girl witht he prosthetic leg, but the boyfriend is annoying. He treats her like a five year old and I think she's starting to get fed up. Yeah, he's starting to drive me crazy. The couple from Kentucky are so cute in their unworldliness (is that a word?) I kinda like Duke and Lauren, the father and daughter team.

Soccer Mom
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Father and daughter are growing on me. I think he's learning to thin of her as "my daughter" again and not as "my lesbian daugter."

FatTire
09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I hate them all. I find myself cheering more for the teams I want eliminated than the teams I want to win.

Soccer Mom
09-27-2006, 12:07 AM
You need a hot cuppa tea and a nice bath, FT. And maybe a few happy pills?

allion
09-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Did you watch Treasure Hunters? They had one of those girls on there who was screaming at her own parents cause she was tired. I hated her, literally.

While I think that TH was a badly done rehash of AR, I did have the pleasure (?) of seeing the shrew have her screaming mimi fit. I wanted to smack her.

At least AR has a real host. What was with the robo-host of TH? A cell phone kicks me out of the competition? Wha??

Karen

Soccer Mom
09-27-2006, 03:22 AM
I tried TH, but I couldn't get into it. It just made me long for AR.

Provrb1810meggy
09-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Yes, the couple from Kentucky are very unworldly. Did you hear the part where they said they never saw an Asian before?

Becky Writes
09-27-2006, 04:53 AM
Yes, the couple from Kentucky are very unworldly. Did you hear the part where they said they never saw an Asian before?

Yes. And I can believe it.

My husband is from a town in Ohio where, until recently, there were no minorites at all. His high school (1500-2000 students) was totally white. He had never really been around anyone except whities until he joined the army.

Culture shock.

I like them -- the Kentucky couple. They seem so refreshing. That's who I'm pulling for.

Soccer Mom
09-27-2006, 06:04 AM
I hope they (the Kentucky couple) stay in the race for a while. They have a great attitude and are truly excited to see these places and meet people they would never otherwise meet.

TheGaffer
09-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Hated the family edition. Boring, to begin with -- first leg of the race they go from New York to....Pennsylvania! UGH. And that strident team, the Weavers, were totally insufferable.

This group? The Kentucky couple are sweet, particularly the wife. You can totally tell she's a Mom -- only a Mom like her would shout encouragement to the other teams the way she does. How can you not love that? Plus, what she said about the gay couple. "We never met gay people before...and I kinda like 'em." She's cute as all heck.

The models/heroin addicts are boring; I like the beauty queens, the father-daughter team isn't bad, although tvgasm.com loves making fun of him for his crying jag at the beginning about his daughter being a lesbian. The single moms are pretty obnoxious and should be dumped soon. The gay couple are a bit much, as if theyr'e trying to seem stereotypical. I like the woman with the prosthetic, but her mate is an a**, to be honest.

So I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. Usually I reflexively root for the old people, but no old people this time (which of course spares us drawn-own scenes of Fran and Barry walking past the clue box about 15 times each episode), and the hippies were so darned cool last year; I guess I like the Asian guys and the Kentucky pair right now. I liked the Indians, but they were gone too quickly. Clearly, Rob & Kimberly are the passive/aggressive, shouldn't-be-together-anymore couple who can't communicate well.

FatTire
09-27-2006, 05:50 PM
That is just it. They are all playing roles on a game show. I don't feel as though any of them are real. I'd really like to see them break up their casting next season and try something new.

May I suggest a team of AW Message Board Posters that have never actually met. But one thinks the other is a hottie.

Soccer Mom
09-27-2006, 05:55 PM
You think Teddy G can convince one of the women to run the race with him?

Soccer Mom
10-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Sorry to see the Father/daughter go home.

And I just LOVE the Kentucky couple. Love them.

The single moms have redeemed themselves somewhat in my eyes. I like them better since they've stopped snarking about others.

allion
10-04-2006, 03:33 AM
Ah, but in true Bertram Van Munster style, the father-daughter team have come to a new understanding of each other after enduring their part of the race.

It's touching, really. People learn things about themselves (and their teammates) when they do AR.

Unless the team includes the whiny crying person, in which case they will not achieve any awareness at all.

The previews promise me lots of screaming and whining next week. YAY!

Karen

Soccer Mom
10-04-2006, 05:39 AM
Yay! It's meltdown time. Wheeee! We haven't had a good assault since Jonathan and it looked like Kim started shoving Rob. Good times.

allion
10-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Jonathan was a true psycho. The whole episode at the Brandenburg Gate is burned into my memory. Then they show up on Fear Factor, still screaming invectives at each other. (They lost).

I am ashamed to say that yes, I have watched Fear Factor. I usually avoid the "Let's eat gross animal parts now!" segment.

Karen

Soccer Mom
10-05-2006, 07:24 AM
LOL--I do the same thing through the magic of TIVO. Jonathan wins for biggest psycho and most likely to actually murder their partner. I though Colin was a serious wacko until they dredged up Jonathan. I think Kim and Rob are minor league compared to Jonathan and Victoria, but we will see how badly they turn on one another. Is she really ordering him out of the boat on the commercial?

allion
10-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Is she really ordering him out of the boat on the commercial?

I hope so. The sadist in me hopes so. :D

Karen

threedogpeople
10-06-2006, 04:30 AM
I'm torn about the show.

I don't like all the time spent trying to get the viewers to love/hate the teams and the repetitive (boring) airport scenes.

I wish they would spend more time focused on the places that they are visiting (scenery, culture, etc.).

Soccer Mom
10-06-2006, 07:12 AM
I do love seeing the exotic locations and the little bits of customs. That's what made the family one so boring. I've been most of those places. But I'll probably never see Vietnam or Russia etc...

TheGaffer
10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
agreed on the exotic locations. they do zip past 'em at times. but seeing people interact with each other is indeed a lot of fun.

Sarita
11-05-2007, 05:37 AM
It's BAAAAACK and on right now. I'm DVR'ing to skip commercials. I can't wait.

Serena Casey
11-05-2007, 06:57 AM
The only season we've watched was 6, when Freddy and Kendra won, but we started watching again tonight. I'm rooting for the family teams, like the grandson-grandfather, father-daughter; they seem more supportive of one another.

CACTUSWENDY
11-05-2007, 07:08 AM
I am right there. Interesting teams. Not sure who I will root for yet. I know one thing. They sure wear me out, and that is just watching them. Can not understand how they keep up the energry levels required for it.

Serena Casey
11-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Just got done reading the team profiles on CBS' site. Their proofreader must be on vacation.

Sarita
11-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Their proofreader must be on vacation.
Actually...

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSN0421365120071105

Oh, and I think I'm rooting for the Father/Daughter team. Although there were a couple teams I liked. We'll see.