Almost a hundred bucks on comics today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I got a bunch of this Civil War stuff that Marvel has going now. I mainly got it because a coworker hates it and is always knocking it. I think it could be interesting so I decided to check it out. I also got some Silver Surfer stuff but was unable to get all that I wanted, like the Gaiman Eternals which I didn't get because I want to start at number one. I am interested in the Wildstorm imprint and also the Americas Best Comics that Moore put together...but I didn't get anything as yet.

Anyway...what's everyone reading these days on the superhero front?

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I read most of the Marvel main comics. Civil War so far is good for me. I like it. It'll be cool to see how it plays out.

I also read most of the main DC's. Lost going on here, but so far 52 isn't doing it for me. Neither is Superman, but I'll stay with him a little longer. A lot of people complain he is hard to write.

The only other comic I read outside the two biggies is Fables. I really like this comic and have most of the run.

But, if I were to pick one comic in the last few months that was really good, it would be DD. Bendis was doing it for a while and it was great. A team team took over and didn't miss a beat. Great story run.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
When you say DD you mean Daredevil? If so then I am going to get some. Daredevil has long been a favorite of mine. I looked for him at the shop but didn't see a title for him. Does he have a current book? His entire run is coming out on DVD-Rom pretty soon.

If you don't mean Daredevil...sorry, haha. I have just returned to comics and can't think of another DD.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
DareDevil

Sorry, yeah I do mean DareDevil. It's been great. I'd get the run for the last year or so. The art is a little different, but I loved the writing.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Yeah, you've GOTTA read Daredevil and pick up the rest of this year's issues. My god, what a stellar run. Also, I'm happily enjoying the Planet Hulk saga, although I'm worried it's starting to sag a bit.

Still waiting for a Superman comic that's good. He *is* hard to write.

I read Civil War, but I don't generally buy it. They're doing some interesting stuff with it, and I like that they're doing it really hugely, but I think they'll see much better sales when they start collecting it into graphic novels, to make it easier for people to follow and buy. I'm pretty up on the comic scene and I have trouble keeping track of it all.

I have been very dilligently buying Gaiman's Eternals issues from day one. I think I'm on issue four now, and I have no idea how he's going to wrap all this up in the next two or three issues. It is only six issues, right? Because the story mostly just keeps expanding.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Also, I'm happily enjoying the Planet Hulk saga, although I'm worried it's starting to sag a bit.

Yeah, it started off great, and it was different, but they have to bring him back soon. The planet can only do so much before the story gets stale.

PeeDee said:
I read Civil War, but I don't generally buy it. They're doing some interesting stuff with it

I agree. Good concept, good spinoff threads, but the main thing is a bit all over the place.

PeeDee said:
I'm pretty up on the comic scene and I have trouble keeping track of it all.

That's the way I feel. Too many titles and writers not synching up. Especially in the ex-books. I get really confused here. One minute characters are dead or horseman, next minute their back at full power because a writer needs them for a plot. Polaris for example. How did she get normal again?

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
More comics tomorrow. I will get more Civil War and some DD.

It's funny about Bendis...me and a few co-workers have been joking around ever since we read on wikipedia that he wrote a scene where Jessica Drew requests and recieves anal sex from Luke Cage. Marvel told him he couldn't do that with Drew...so he created Jessica Jones.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
K-Mark said:
That's the way I feel. Too many titles and writers not synching up. Especially in the ex-books. I get really confused here. One minute characters are dead or horseman, next minute their back at full power because a writer needs them for a plot. Polaris for example. How did she get normal again?

Drastically not synching up. I really do think that the comic world needs to be not only aligned (not just Marvel; DC is a disaster too) and also trimmed. Honestly, I don't need eight different Superman comics. I need one, maybe two, barely three, which tell me very good stories. I don't need eight versions of "Superman fights unimaginably abstract monster, it is a tough fight."

Superman works best when it's like early Spider-Man, or the Lois & Clark television show. Superman is not always the focus of the story and indeed shouldn't be. Ultimate Spider Man is at its most interesting when, in addition to the spider-man plot, we have the mess that Pete Parker's gotten himself into. That's when it works.

I really wish that when they kill characters, they would just leave them dead. Too many deaths & rebirths gives the comics all the emotional depth of a soap opera, because you're saying "Yeah, Robin's dead, but he'll be back in a year, or two."

Civil War was one of the best concepts comics have had since possibly Doomsday or Knightfall. I am a great deal less certain about the whole One Year Later thing that DC's doing.

What does everyone think of the "52" series in DC? 'Cause it's a cool concept, but the story isn't doing anything for me. (Not even when they brought Lobo in; honestly, you'd think anything with Lobo in it would make me happy)

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting 52, so far I'm a little bored. All it seems is like they are trying to drum up interest in their B-list characters. It's a good idea to do that, but not all at once.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
K-Mark said:
I've been getting 52, so far I'm a little bored. All it seems is like they are trying to drum up interest in their B-list characters. It's a good idea to do that, but not all at once.

I like the concept of 52, but I think they're dragging it out, which I realize is sort of a problem for a series of fifty-two comics in a year....and I realize that the series is essentially fluff to bridge the gap between OYL and the last Crisis on Infinite Earths series.....but still. Mostly, I read it and wind up re-writing it in my head.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Mostly, I read it and wind up re-writing it in my head.

I seem to do that with a lot of comics. Probably means you like to right, huh?

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
I got an issue of the new Moon Knight book and it was pretty cool I must say. The art was fantastic and the action was cool. I hope Marvel's version of Batman catches on for a while because I intend to keep reading this one.

I got the most recent Daredevil and it was great as Daredevil almost always is. I want to get the new THB that just came out as well. I'm trying to decide on what books I want in my subscription box and so far Moon Knight and DD are in.

I got some Wolverine stuff and it was pretty decent but I hate these artists who draw...and receive praise for...Wolverine like a caveman. It drives me nuts and looks rediculous. Wolverine needs a new artist. I also got the first two issues of the Claws story with Wolverine and Black Cat. I thought it was a bit of a let down and could have been far better.

I also got issue two through five of Eternals and it seems pretty cool. A different sort of Eternals story.

Now the Civil War stuff. Well, everyone seemed to be in an uproar over Civil War four but it didn't bother me too much. I need to get this Illuminati stuff and find out how deep some of these guys are involved here. Tony Stark is becoming a pretty interesting character...a complete *******. But it's in character for a guy like him I think. Spiderman bugs me. The guy has been a goofy kid for forty years already...let him grow a tiny bit.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Inkdaub said:
I got an issue of the new Moon Knight book and it was pretty cool I must say. The art was fantastic and the action was cool. I hope Marvel's version of Batman catches on for a while because I intend to keep reading this one.

I was really surprised when they brought Moon Knight back again. Despite the sheer coolness of how that guy looks, I don't think his comic runs have ever done especially well. This time 'round, the artwork is gorgeous and the action is cool like you say, but the story didn't stay with me very long.

What I like about the Civil War story is that it's essentially just about three people (Iron Man, Captain America, Pete Parker) but you can happily go on reading it without realizing that at all.

I wish Uncanny X-Men would get good again. They should bring back Chris Claremont and just let him go loose on it.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Inkdaub said:
I hate these artists who draw...and receive praise for...Wolverine like a caveman. It drives me nuts and looks rediculous. Wolverine needs a new artist.

The art bugs me too. I like a more realistic art when I read comics.

I'm going to give Moonknight a try. He always was a good character.

X-men is just too all over the place for me, but I'm still reading it...for now.

Cap's been pretty good with the return of Bucky.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
K-Mark said:
Cap's been pretty good with the return of Bucky.

I was grumbling about that, because I hate the "RETURN of CHARACTER, back from the GRAVE!" storylines that seem to plague all comics everywhere...

...but the writer on Captain America (Brubaker, is it?) did a marvelous job, and I'm still happily enjoying Captain America. Overall, this has been a good year for comics.

Specifically, it seems to have been a good year for Marvel, and a "eh." year for DC, who's done nothing very much.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a novel being re-adapted as a comic book?

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Have I heard of it? Yeah, I guess, but this is the cop-out answer. The Classic Illustrateds where they take classics like Moby Dick and make a comic out of them. I actually have one in a box somewhere.

As for a real comic based on a book. I can't think of any, but I'm sure it can be done (and probably was somewhere). They do it with movies.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Well....they did a comic book adaptation of "A Scanner Darkly," which is technically a book, although it's also a movie. I don't know if that really counts.

Ah! There's a comic adaptation of The Hobbit which is practically a work of art.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen novels adapted to comic format a few times. I had a comic version of the bible when I was a kid. There is a graphic novelization of the 911 Report out right now. They make comics out of anything and everything.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think I had the same comic bible... :)

Steve King is doing a Dark Tower graphic novel.

It's cool to do a graphic novel these days, which is just silly. Fortunately, I think it's probably still uncool to do monthly issue-based comics, so I'll happily keep following those... :)

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
That comic bible was awesome. I wish I still had it.

We also have the novelists signing on to do comics more and more. My favorite author, Jonathan Lethem, is going to be doing Omega the Unknown. Meltzer does Justice League. I talked to Eric Bogosian at work and he told me he was working on a comic as well.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm generally okay with writers from other fields signing on to do comics. I mean, if we didn't have that, we wouldn't have Joss Whedon doing his stunning work in Astonishing X-Men and the world would be a poorer place because of it.

I just hope it doesn't become the thing to do. I still like the idea of writers coming up through comics first and foremost, you know? Too many novelists migrating over and we damage the chance of getting any more Neil Gaimans, Alan Moores, Will Eisners.

On the OTHER hand, if comics get polished and cool because of mainstream authors approaching them, then watch as a comics underground appears with some really talented (I hope) writers doing stuff that is decidedly not mainstream.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm okay with it. I saw recently that Tad Williams is writing a comic but I forgot which one.

More comics today. I got pretty much everything I was looking for except a graphic novel called 1001 Nights of Snowfall that is part of the Fables title. It was sold out even though it came out today. Same story with an Elfquest TPB that I wanted. I told the guy to put them both in my box so we'll see. I got more of the usual suspects like Uncanny X, X Civil War, Wolverine, Wolverine Origins and Wolverine Civil War. I also got Wetworks, The Authority and Wildcats which are all part of the Worldstorm reboot of the Wildstorm universe. I've heard good things so I'm excited about those. I also got Brubaker's Criminal which I've been excited about for a short while. I also got some Teen Titans and Secret Six. Then, since the Fables and the Elfquest weren't there and I had to spend more money I got a Daredevil THB that puts together the end of the Bendis run. All in all a good day at the shop. Next week the new Daredevil and Moon Knight come out.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Today was a good day at the shop. 1001 Nights of Snowfall was waiting for me in my box. There was also a tpb called Sleeper by Ed Brubaker. This was odd because I am interested in anything like this done by Brubaker but I didn't request it so I'm unsure why they put it in my box. Anyway I couldn't afford Sleeper AND Snowfall AND the monthlies so I put Sleeper back in my box for next time. Comics are too expensive. I also got this new comic called the Nightly News which looks to be interesting.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I too spend an incredible amount of money of comics. I actually have the X-Men logo tattooed on me. It's true. PM me, I'll send you a picture. I really like the Civil War stuff going on in the Marvel universe at the moment, it's always cool when they use big events to stir it up. They only thing that's sucks is the different writers of the various books featuring the same characters don't collaborate enough. All of Spiderman's books seem to feature the same timeline. Once he revealed his identity, it was revealed in all the books. This is not so with X-men. I love Astonishing X-Men, but doesn't seem as if Whedon's team isn't even in the same universe as the X-men in Civil War? Not to mention the one's currently in the core X-books. When the hell did Wolverine: Origins happen? Before the Civil War Wolvie books? After? Am I the only one that gets kept up nights by this stuff? The only DC books I read are the Batman books and the Green Lantern books (including Ion). I have yet to read the new Eternal's book, but apparently I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.