I got an answer to my first ever agent query.

Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebooth.com
Three days ago I sent my first every query to an agent after 20 odd years casual writing for my own pleasure.

Yesterday I joined AbsoluteWrite with a view to honing my skills for future publication.

Today I recieved an email from the agent requesting a synopsis and two sample chapters.

Are things supposed to move this fast?

I have a LOT of editing to do over the next couple of days.

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.

Don't know if things are supposed to move fast or not. I've read posts from writers who've struggled and accumulated lots of rejections/been ignored by agents, and writers like you and MichelleLee who received prompt responses.

In general, agents publish their response times, and it can be anything from weeks to a couple of months.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Mustang said:
Three days ago I sent my first every query to an agent after 20 odd years casual writing for my own pleasure.

Yesterday I joined AbsoluteWrite with a view to honing my skills for future publication. Great place to be! Welcome!

Today I recieved an email from the agent requesting a synopsis and two sample chapters. Congratulations!

Are things supposed to move this fast? Sometimes it happens.

I have a LOT of editing to do over the next couple of days.

Again, congrats!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great to me. My experience was fast response, but I'm in a different position (I have one non-fiction book published, the contract in hand for a second, and was looking for an agent to negotiate for me). I think it's a matter of luck, on top of researching the agent ahead of time to look for a good fit.

Now - get on with the editing and see if you can take advantage of your good luck!

Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebooth.com
Thanks folks.

On their site they said their response time was 2-4 weeks. So I thought I had time to edit.

I'll be a very busy little duck the next few days at least!

The first chapter is over in sci fi/fantasy "Share Your Work". From responses, I do have a lot of editing to do.

I sure won't be throwing away this opportunity :)

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic response. Good luck with the editing:)

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
:welcome: to AW, Mustang.

That sounds so wonderful. Good luck with the editing and submission. Do let us know how it goes. :)

Sury

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
I should be honest one of my full requests was from Jaky Sach at Bookends LLC who had the partial for over a month because she was on vacation. As soon as I got the other requests I sent her an email informing her and she said pretty much to add her to the list when I go to the post office. So not all my responses have been that fast. Good luck!!!