PDA

View Full Version : The word "Love" or "Luv"

brianm
09-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Because I am from Northern Ireland, I use the word love on a regular basis when addressing people I know or even to complete strangers.

At the grocer, to the cashier... "Thanks, love." At home, “Hello love, have a good day?”

It's a bit like people who say "dear" to everyone.

My question is two-fold:

1) Shouldn't the word be spelled love and not luv?
2) I read in a recent crit...“Hello luv, what’s Alice doing?” and the critic wrote this... Luv is a direct address and needs to be capitalized. Is this correct? Isn't it like "Hello dear, how is Alice doing?" You wouldn't cap the Dear would you?

newmod
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi brian I´m from London where it´s common also, I wouldn´t capitalise love/luv. As you say it´s like chuck, hen or whatever.

As for spelling if I wanted to convey a north of england accent maybe I´d spell it luv, but probably not. If someone knows the accent it makes no difference and if they don´t it makes no difference either probably!

soloset
09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
As an (American) reader, I've seen it both ways in commercial fiction -- "love" and "luv", but never capitalized. I think 'luv' is usually used to convey an accent, or that casual way y'all say it. ;) "Love" I've really only seen as an endearment between two people who are actually in love.

I'm not sure what the "official" word is on it, though.

rekirts
09-19-2006, 10:24 PM
When I hear British people say love/luv, I picture it as luv. But that doesn't mean it's right. :tongue

Lyra Jean
09-19-2006, 10:32 PM
When I read work that is set in England eh okay it's mostly Ireland. I read a lot of Meave Binchy. I just hear the accent in my head. We get a lot of English and Irish folks where I work as customers.

Luv just makes me think they've been to long on the internet and forgot how to spell properly.

brianm
09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I agree... spelling it luv sounds like slang, Internet, personalized license plates or bumper stickers. I live in Palm Springs and they have a bumper sticker here that reads "I LUV PS."

When I speak...it does sound like "luv," but I think it best to spell the word correctly.

sassandgroove
09-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh, I melt when men with British, Irish or Scottish accents call me "love"....

sassandgroove
09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
To those of you who repped me with 'love', :D

Soccer Mom
09-20-2006, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't capitalize it either. Down here in my southern little corner of the US, everyone is honey, sugar, sweetie. No caps.

Sandi LeFaucheur
09-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I believe you would cap it if it was a nickname specific to that person, but expressions like love, dear, honey, are used all the time. If you call your boss--and only your boss--Dogbreath, it would be capped. But if it was common practice to call everyone from the meter reader to the prime minister dogbreath, it wouldn't.

Ralyks
09-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Terms of endearment are not capitalized. The spelling "luv" is slang and makes sense in dialogue, especially if that is how it is pronounced. I would never use the spelling in narrative, however.

Puma
09-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Since I was the "Critter" in this case, I'll explain where I was coming from (and I do agree with what most of you have put on here). I viewed the term as a reference to a specific person, not as a generic, whoever happens to walk by. I've looked at two college handbooks and they are clear as mud on the issue. A similar issue that comes up a lot in SYW is the capitalization of Mother/Father and various derivatives. When the terms are used to refer to a specific Mother or Father, they are capitalized. I am viewing Luv in this instance in the same way. It would be nice if one of the grammar gurus popped in and took a look at this thread. Puma

poetinahat
09-22-2006, 04:34 AM
I,too, think "luv" is un-capped and conveys an accent -- especially, say, Liverpudlian (think Ringo Starr, esp. in Yellow Submarine).

Similar to "guv" or "guv'na" -- you wouldn't spell it "gov" or spell out "governor", would you? Or would you...

Just my thinking.

Phouka
09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm American and use 'luv' in a lot of written communications (yeah, a weird affectation, but I read too many British novels). The 'luv' spelling, for me, divorces it from actual 'love' and is less intiminate. So I stick with 'luv' when I mean that casual 'dear', 'honey','sweetie' address.

This justification brought to you by pulledoutofmy----.com