The word "Love" or "Luv"

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Because I am from Northern Ireland, I use the word love on a regular basis when addressing people I know or even to complete strangers.

At the grocer, to the cashier... "Thanks, love." At home, “Hello love, have a good day?”

It's a bit like people who say "dear" to everyone.

My question is two-fold:

1) Shouldn't the word be spelled love and not luv?
2) I read in a recent crit...“Hello luv, what’s Alice doing?” and the critic wrote this... Luv is a direct address and needs to be capitalized. Is this correct? Isn't it like "Hello dear, how is Alice doing?" You wouldn't cap the Dear would you?

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi brian I´m from London where it´s common also, I wouldn´t capitalise love/luv. As you say it´s like chuck, hen or whatever.

As for spelling if I wanted to convey a north of england accent maybe I´d spell it luv, but probably not. If someone knows the accent it makes no difference and if they don´t it makes no difference either probably!

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
As an (American) reader, I've seen it both ways in commercial fiction -- "love" and "luv", but never capitalized. I think 'luv' is usually used to convey an accent, or that casual way y'all say it. ;) "Love" I've really only seen as an endearment between two people who are actually in love.

I'm not sure what the "official" word is on it, though.

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
When I hear British people say love/luv, I picture it as luv. But that doesn't mean it's right. :tongue

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
When I read work that is set in England eh okay it's mostly Ireland. I read a lot of Meave Binchy. I just hear the accent in my head. We get a lot of English and Irish folks where I work as customers.

Luv just makes me think they've been to long on the internet and forgot how to spell properly.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I agree... spelling it luv sounds like slang, Internet, personalized license plates or bumper stickers. I live in Palm Springs and they have a bumper sticker here that reads "I LUV PS."

When I speak...it does sound like "luv," but I think it best to spell the word correctly.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't capitalize it either. Down here in my southern little corner of the US, everyone is honey, sugar, sweetie. No caps.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I believe you would cap it if it was a nickname specific to that person, but expressions like love, dear, honey, are used all the time. If you call your boss--and only your boss--Dogbreath, it would be capped. But if it was common practice to call everyone from the meter reader to the prime minister dogbreath, it wouldn't.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Terms of endearment are not capitalized. The spelling "luv" is slang and makes sense in dialogue, especially if that is how it is pronounced. I would never use the spelling in narrative, however.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The "Critter" Speaks

Since I was the "Critter" in this case, I'll explain where I was coming from (and I do agree with what most of you have put on here). I viewed the term as a reference to a specific person, not as a generic, whoever happens to walk by. I've looked at two college handbooks and they are clear as mud on the issue. A similar issue that comes up a lot in SYW is the capitalization of Mother/Father and various derivatives. When the terms are used to refer to a specific Mother or Father, they are capitalized. I am viewing Luv in this instance in the same way. It would be nice if one of the grammar gurus popped in and took a look at this thread. Puma

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I,too, think "luv" is un-capped and conveys an accent -- especially, say, Liverpudlian (think Ringo Starr, esp. in Yellow Submarine).

Similar to "guv" or "guv'na" -- you wouldn't spell it "gov" or spell out "governor", would you? Or would you...

Just my thinking.

Phouka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.phouka.com
I'm American and use 'luv' in a lot of written communications (yeah, a weird affectation, but I read too many British novels). The 'luv' spelling, for me, divorces it from actual 'love' and is less intiminate. So I stick with 'luv' when I mean that casual 'dear', 'honey','sweetie' address.

This justification brought to you by pulledoutofmy----.com

Status
Not open for further replies.