Festival to Celebrate the World's Worst Writer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd want this honor...

Festival to celebrate world's worst writer

From United Press International
September 19, 2006 8:28 AM EDT

BELFAST, Northern Ireland, Sep 18, 2006 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Dramatic novelist Amanda McKittrick Ros is to be recognized at the "Celebrate Literary Belfast" festival in Ireland as the world's worst writer.

The Telegraph reports that at the upcoming festival later this m
onth, the late writer's works will be honored based on the traditions set forth by the Inklings, an Oxford group that once included J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

As members of the Inklings, Lewis and Tolkien would get together with friends to attempt to read aloud Ros's over-dramatic literary works. The one who could keep from laughing the longest was the winner.

"She alliterated obsessively," Frank Ormsby, who edited an anthology of Ros's work, entitled "Thine in Storm and Cabin," said. "Even if one has forgotten her work for a few years, you only have to read a few paragraphs and you find the smile broadening on your face. You begin to realize why her work had such an appeal."

The paper said on Sept. 26, "The World's Worst Novelist" gathering will occur at the Belfast festival and will expose a new generation to Ros's legendary writings.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I'm pretty sure I don't want it :D

Fantasy and Science fiction fans have our own version of this: Jim Theis' Eye of Argon. It is generally known as "the worst science fiction story ever written", and is actually hilarious.

It's a tradition at some conventions to sit around reading this story, seeing how long you can go without giggling. There are times when it takes several people t get through one word.

Thing is, Theis was still alive when the Eye of Argon became popular (notorious?), and he was really hurt by people poking fun at it. Which is a pity, because it's clearly juvenile writing, and I doubt anyone was judging him by it; also, because it's really funny.

But I can see why he was hurt.

...And I hope never to outdo him in this regard :D

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
You guys can have it if y'really want. I don't :D

Though it sounds like you'll have some stiff competition from Ros.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Ah ha. The Golden Raspberry Awards. Sorry.

Just a sample from last year:

WORST PICTURE
DEUCE BIGALOW: EUROPEAN GIGOLO (Sony/Columbia)
DIRTY LOVE (First Look Pictures) *WINNER
THE DUKES OF HAZZARD (Warner Bros./Village Roadshow)
HOUSE OF WAX (Warner Bros.)
SON OF THE MASK (New Line Cinema)

WORST ACTOR
Tom Cruise / WAR of the WORLDS
Will Ferrell / BEWITCHED and KICKING & SCREAMING
Jamie Kennedy / SON OF THE MASK
The Rock / DOOM
Rob Schneider / DEUCE BIGALOW: EUROPEAN GIGOLO *WINNER

WORST ACTRESS
Jessica Alba / FANTASTIC FOUR and INTO THE BLUE
Hilary Duff / CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN 2 and THE PERFECT MAN
Jennifer Lopez / MONSTER IN LAW
Jenny McCarthy / DIRTY LOVE *WINNER
Tara Reid / ALONE IN THE DARK

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Shweta!! That link was priceless:

The engrossed titan ignored the queries of the inquisitive female, pulling her towards him and crushing her sagging nipples to his yearning chest. Without struggle she gave in, winding her soft arms around the harshly bronzedhide of Grignr corded shoulder blades, as his calloused hands caressed her firm protruding busts.

and this:

"Your sirenity, resplendent in noble grandeur, we have brought this yokel before you (the soldier gestured toward Grignr) for the redress or your all knowing wisdon in judgement regarding his fate."

That has made my day. Yay! Something to read at work today! Except when they find me giggling in my office, they might call security. :D

Last edited:

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to do my takehome anthro test, and YOU SPRING THIS ON ME? What is wrong with you?! Now I have to read it, and laugh, and wake up my poor roommate who thinks I;m crazy because I am dressed like a pirate.

and also?
worst.
line.
ever.

"Without struggle she gave in, winding her soft arms around the harshly bronzedhide of Grignr corded shoulder blades, as his calloused hands caressed her firm protruding busts."

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Why has nobody yet mentioned the one, the only--

ATLANTA NIGHTS?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

ATLANTA NIGHTS?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't mean to post twice there, but it's a book well worth mentioning a few times, so perhaps that makes up for my computer glitch! Sorry, folks.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Shweta said:
I'm pretty sure I don't want it :D

Fantasy and Science fiction fans have our own version of this: Jim Theis' Eye of Argon. It is generally known as "the worst science fiction story ever written", and is actually hilarious.

It's a tradition at some conventions to sit around reading this story, seeing how long you can go without giggling. There are times when it takes several people t get through one word.

Thing is, Theis was still alive when the Eye of Argon became popular (notorious?), and he was really hurt by people poking fun at it. Which is a pity, because it's clearly juvenile writing, and I doubt anyone was judging him by it; also, because it's really funny.

But I can see why he was hurt.

...And I hope never to outdo him in this regard :D

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.
"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

Thats where I got before bursting out into chortles and having to pick myself up off the floor.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
What, none of you got to the multi-fauceted scarlet emerald?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Old Hack said:

ATLANTA NIGHTS?

But Atlanta Nights is deliberately so. And I'm still not convinced it's worse than the Eye of Argon, though some of its reviews call it a poke in the Eye of Argon, and such :)

By the way, you can delete your double post. It's one of the options in the bottom right hand corner of the post.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Soccer Mom said:
Tooooo funny. An erotica how-not-to!

The smell of his armpits was on her shoulders - a flower depositing pollen on a hummingbird's forehead.

WTF? That made me snort coffee!

Oh. Good. Gods.

I... I can't even begin to... to...

That's just... Oh. Dear.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I don't think I've had enough coffee yet to even begin to comprehend this thread. I've heard of the Bad Sex Awards but those other links just take the cake.

~DragonHeart~

Status
Not open for further replies.