• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Looking at the brain... seeing the mind

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
A great staple of SF is the brain-machine interface. It's a technology with amazing potential – both good and bad. A few examples of such technology in SF leap to mind:
  • Neuromancer, by William Gibson: one of the granddaddies of the cyberpunk movement, this SF sub-genre redefined the brain-machine interface. Other stories of his that tread on this ground: Burning Chrome, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay.
  • Hardwired, by Walter Jon Williams: a similar take on brain-machine interfaces (and generally a cool read).
  • We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, by Philip K. Dick: The basis for the 1990 film Total Recall, this had to do with implanting memories and questioning the nature of what's real. The Minority Report had machines able to read the visions of certain "gifted" folk, while Paycheck had memory themes as well...
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, by Charlie Kaufman: another adventure in memory manipulation, perception and questioning reality...
  • Brainstorm, by Philip Frank Messina, Robert Stitzel and Bruce Joel Rubin (story): A fantastic flick about the recording of sensation directly from the brain and playing it back. It also shows the progression of technology from clunky prototype to streamlined final version. It gives a fair shake to the possibilities of the tech, both good and bad.
  • Strange Days, by James Cameron: On a similar note as Brainstorm, Strange Days looks at the use and abuse of recorded sensation.
Feel free to add to the list – the more sources we can reference to see what's been done, the better we can build on those to explore new ground...

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Feeling your pain...

There's an old saying: before criticizing, you should walk a mile in the other man's shoes. It's wise advice – then, when you actually do criticize the guy, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

But seriously...

Here's a little modern science that to help nudge the imagination for brain-machine interfaces. In this case, the headline, if a little technical, says it best:...
'Spectrum of empathy' found in the brain
17:00 18 September 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Rowan Hooper

Ever wondered how some people can “put themselves into another person's shoes” and some people cannot? Our ability to empathise with others seems to depend on the action of "mirror neurons" in the brain, according to a new study.

Mirror neurons, known to exist in humans and in macaque monkeys, activate when an action is observed, and also when it is performed. Now new research reveals that there are mirror neurons in humans that fire when sounds are heard. In other words, if you hear the noise of someone eating an apple, some of the same neurons fire as when you eat the apple yourself.

So-called auditory mirror neurons were known only in macaques. To determine if they exist in humans Valeria Gazzola, at the school of behavioural and cognitive neurosciences neuroimaging centre at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands, and colleagues, put 16 volunteers into functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanners and observed their brains as they were played different noises.

The volunteers heard noises such as a sheet of paper being torn, or of someone crunching potato chips. Then the same subjects were scanned again, this time whilst tearing a piece of paper, or eating potato chips.

Vicarious crunching

“We combined the data from listening and execution and looked to see if the activity in the brain overlaps,” says Gazzola’s colleague Christian Keysers, also at the University of Groningen. Sure enough, it did overlap. Motor neurons associated with mouth actions (crunching) and hand actions (ripping) were activated in both cases...
The article goes on and it's definitely worth a read. Also worth noticing are the "Related Articles" listed to the right (interesting, if not a little disturbing).

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Actions: as loud as words...?

Because I believe in recycling (I have small green altar and I occasionally light a candle and hope nothing catches on fire...), here is a post that's 86% previously viewed material. It seemed to fit here, though, so I'm centralizing posts for your edjamacational pleasure.

In further evidence of the march of machines not only into our brains but our thoughts, here's a little food for thought:
Brain's action center is all talk

Collaboration between USC, UCLA, UC Berkeley and Italian University finds strong mental link between actions and words

Neuroscience is tackling a problem that obsessed Hamlet: What is the difference in our minds between talk and action?

Less than you would expect, an international research group reports in the Sept. 19 issue of Current Biology.

The brain's premotor cortex shows the same activity pattern when subjects observe an action as when they hear words describing the same action, the study's authors said.

"If you hear the word 'grasp,' it's actually the premotor cortex that's active, not just a separate, abstract semantic area in the brain," said lead investigator Lisa Aziz-Zadeh, assistant professor of occupational sciences with a joint appointment in the Brain and Creativity Institute of the USC College of Letters, Arts and Sciences.

The premotor cortex has long been identified as a center of activity for actions. The notion that it could also process verbal descriptions of those actions has met some resistance.

"Neuroscience is coming around to this idea, but there hasn't been much data supporting it," Aziz-Zadeh said.

To change that, Aziz-Zadeh recruited 12 volunteers and used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to compare the same areas of the premotor cortex in the same subject as the person observed an action and heard language describing the action.

The premotor area involved during observation of a specific action, such as kicking, also lit up when the subject heard the corresponding word. This was the first study to make such a direct comparison, Aziz-Zadeh said.

Other studies found activity in the same areas during execution of an action, Aziz-Zadeh added, offering indirect evidence for the existence of "mirror neuron" systems that activate both when a person performs a task and when the person watches someone else perform the task.

"The study does demonstrate the intimate linkage between the way we talk about actions and the neural machinery that supports those actions. That's very intriguing," said USC University Professor Michael Arbib...
The article goes on and it's definitely worth a read.

For that machine-brain interface, this takes it away from the sensory realm and into the cognitive realm. I still think we'll see sensory interface first, but this brings machine-based mind reading a step closer...

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
:: cue Twilight Zone music ::

I think this goes under the "great minds think alike" category (pun intended ;) ). My fantasy WIP is exploring similiar ideas, though I'm using magic rather than science. My MC is an out of control touch empath and doesn't know it. She can "share" what other people are feeling through touch. I'm also exploring an idea where two people who can wield magic can "share minds" to learn from each other via magic. It's not telepathy, more of a way to feel how the other person moves or wields the power. The first article with the "mirror-neurons" is very much what I had in mind.

The second article brings up a good point about action language affecting listeners. As writers, it certainly lends support to using active language to provoke a response in readers.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
TheIT said:
...My fantasy WIP is exploring similiar ideas, though I'm using magic rather than science. My MC is an out of control touch empath and doesn't know it. She can "share" what other people are feeling through touch. I'm also exploring an idea where two people who can wield magic can "share minds" to learn from each other via magic. It's not telepathy, more of a way to feel how the other person moves or wields the power. The first article with the "mirror-neurons" is very much what I had in mind.
Happy to help!

I'm more of an SF-oriented guy, but I've always wondered what kind of function magic would use to determine "truth" (ie: after someone had taken a potion thereof). A lot of magic-neurology interaction going on there...
TheIT said:
The second article brings up a good point about action language affecting listeners. As writers, it certainly lends support to using active language to provoke a response in readers.
I hadn't thought of that. Very cool!

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Two more examples of tech-mind interface in SF...
  • Demolition Man, by Peter M. Lenkov (story), Robert Reneau (story), Daniel Waters (screenplay), Robert Reneau (screenplay) and Peter M. Lenkov(screenplay): A bit of B-movie fluff, it was still good for a laugh and some colorful characters. For our purposes, while prisoners were incarcerated in a type of semi-suspended animation, skills and behavioral traits were implanted. It had Sly Stallone impulsively knitting (while the inside-job badguys woke with all kinds of nefarious skills). In this respect, an interesting bit of SF snuck into an action movie...
  • The Matrix, by Larry and Andy Wachowski: This one takes the machine-brain interface to a whole new level, with the general population living a simulation virtually indistinguishable from real life. Not sure if it's original, but the execution of the idea was awesome. On a slightly lower level (though closer to practicality) is instant skill/knowledge downloading to a brain. Neo, the main character, is trained to fight at expert levels in a dozen different styles in about two minutes. Finding himself needing to pilot a helicopter, he learns with a quick call to home base. Man, that would make school so much quicker...

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
hm, I wrote something about this...

*g*I have one of my own, actually: several years back I did a series concerning brain-computer interfaces... PariahOnline got it, "Cherryn Rainbow" was the name. Basically people "plugged in", some for life, some for various stretches of time. I liked playing with the sociology of "hookups" vs "other people"... every so often I come up with something else in that "world".

...on the topic of Actual Big-Time Authors, there's The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton, and Total Recall I guess fits too... Accellerando also.

Not to mention the Borg from Star Trek.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
The mirror neuron story is a great one, and I'm jealous that OG beat me to it :D

There's fun stuff like... oh... there's some doctor somewhere who got to do single-neuron studies on humans. (You can if you already have their brain open for surgery, and you have to prod at some neurons to make sure you're not cutting through important stuff.)

He found that his patients had the same neurons activated when he poked their fingers with a pin, and when he let them watch him poke his own finger with a pin.

Wish I could remember who this was.

Anyway, one problem with scanning studies is that you can only ever get correlation. You can show that those two things make the same area light up; but you can't show that that has any functional effect. So there have also been some reaction-time studies on this, which can't show which bit of the brain is active, but can show if one thing affects the processing of another.

So one I know about prety well... uh... because I did it... was (with colleagues: Bergen, Feldman, Weinberg) looking at simple motor-action verbs.

We gave people a matching task (do these two mean the same thing). In the first study they got pictures of stick-men performing actions, followed by words like KICK. In the second, they got words like KICK followed by near-synonyms.

So, what we were interested in was the mismatch case, where the correct answer was "No". In both studies what we found was that the "no" came significantly more slowly when the mismatched actions involved the same body part.

--Which suggests shared activation, probably of motor areas.

EDIT: In case you want them, here are the papers:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bergen/papers/bergenetal.pdf
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bergen/papers/Narayanetal.pdf

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Two examples from television:

Blake's 7 had a character named Gan who was a convicted murderer. Part of his punishment was a chip implanted in his brain to prevent violent behavior. Whenever he attempted to attack someone, the chip caused painful migraines.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The character Spike, a vampire, was implanted with a chip in his head to prevent him from attacking humans. Whenever he tried attacking a human, the chip floored him with painful migraine headaches. From a writer's perspective, it was a plot device to allow Spike to work with the good guys without trying to eat them. OK, fine, I can handle that. But then the writers kept going. Turns out the chip only caused pain whenever he attacked a human. If he attacked anything non-human, no pain. They started using Spike's chip as a human detection device. If Spike could punch someone without screaming in agony, the other person was obviously not human.

So, my question (as an engineer) is how the %&*@ was Spike's chip able to tell? I could see the chip responding to Spike's aggression (like Gan's). I could even handle the chip reacting to Spike's belief (Spike believes the other person is human, he tries to hurt the other person which he knows is a wrong thing to do, therefore pain). But how could a piece of electronics stuck in Spike's brain detect non-humans?

I'm a fan of both shows, but the logical inconsistencies of Spike's chip taxed my willingness to disbelieve.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
yyyeah, IT.

In fact, it would probably have gone off if he'd seen any similarities to humans at all, given the mirror neuron research. The same way, say, playing a first-person shooter can make some people (including me) feel uneasy even though we know it's not real.

Also, if it was reacting to aggression, it might well overreact and get them if they even start getting angry. Or possibly even if they imagine hitting someone...

Argh, scary tech. There might be a story in that, I dunno. A prisoner implanted with such a chip, finding that anything that upsets 'em sets off the migraines...
I don't see much plot resolution though. What are they going to do, turn Buddhist?

Edit: That last was a reference to the current discussion on Diana's magick thread about lack of attachment.

Last edited:

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Cool points, folks...

Here's another example of technology decoding how the brain works.
Brain Area Foils Fear

The human brain must constantly screen incoming stimuli for relevance. Without such screening, the brain would quickly be overwhelmed by the sheer number of stimuli we experience every day. Some of the most profound stimuli--such as other people's faces--trigger an emotional response, but there are times when fear or even happiness must be kept at bay as the brain works to solve a problem. New research has shown how the brain goes about accomplishing this task.

The brain structure known as the amygdala plays a key role in generating and perpetuating emotions such as fear by sending signals into the hypothalamus, which controls the sympathetic nervous system. The amygdala's neighbors in the brain include the anterior cingulate cortex, which neuroscientists think controls various so-called executive processes, such as deciding where attention should be focused. The rostral region of this portion of the cortex (the area on the bottom toward the front) connects directly with the amygdala, and some had speculated that the former might play a role in monitoring emotional states, allowing them to flourish when appropriate but suppressing them when not.

Designing a test of this hypothesis, however, had proved challenging. Amit Etkin of Stanford University and his colleagues turned to a classic study of conflict in the brain--the Stroop task--in which the name of a color and the color of the letters in that name either match or not. They tweaked it to create an emotional conflict: pairing faces displaying particular emotional states with words written across them that either identified that state or not, such as “fear” displayed on a smiling face. While being scanned by functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), 19 subjects stared at 148 versions of these pairings, clicking a button to indicate whether that person was happy or afraid.

The researchers found that subjects were able to resolve conflicting images more quickly if they were preceded by other conflicting images, indicating that the brain was preparing itself for such conflict resolution. And the fMRI revealed that the emotional pictures did, in fact, activate the amygdala, but that when the face and word were discordant, the rostral anterior cingulate cortex (rACC) also lit up and inhibited the activation of this emotion-controlling structure. "For example, if someone is walking on an empty street at night and hears a loud banging sound in the near distance, the amygdala would immediately light up," explains Joy Hirsch of Columbia University, senior author of the paper presenting the result in the September 21 issue of Neuron. "Once the source is determined, the rACC determines if action is needed or not. For example, if it was a car door slamming, the rACC would shut down the amygdala."

It is possible, however, that those roles are reversed: the amygdala habitually dampening the rACC and then letting it loose when emotional activity is reduced. But the rACC always seems to activate when assessing these stimuli, and tests of skin conductance on 10 different subjects exposed to the same test showed that the sympathetic nervous system was indeed less active when the rACC was inhibiting. The finding suggests a two-stage response to perceived threats as well as what might be malfunctioning in patients suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. It may simply be that one of the executive portions of the brain is failing to calm its emotional colleague.
-David Biello
There's a list of related links at the bottom of the article and they're definitely worth browsing.

...Off the top of my head, I could see this angle in a story as plot device, especially if they learned to manipulate the rACC (file under: military applications).

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I think the TV show Firefly used the amygdala concept with the character River Tam. I think they said the scientists who experimented on her severed her amygdala so that she felt everything and could not tone down the emotion. In the show, she bounced between insanity and occasional lucidity. In later episodes and in the movie Serenity we find out they did a whole lot more than that to her.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Billy, you develop your dorsolateral prefrontal cortex right now!!!

Now that my dorsolateral prefrontal cortex is more developed, I feel like sharing a post from Physorg:
Control of selfish behavior turned on, off

Selfish, egotistical behavior really is a turn-off, Swiss and U.S. researchers said, triggered by activating a region of the brain.

Researchers studied how activating the area of the brain called the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex would trigger self-control, researchers from the University of Zurich and Harvard University said Friday in The (London) Telegraph. A weak magnetic field was used to disable this area during the experiment. Researchers said participants gave their permission before undergoing the experiment, the Telegraph said.

Study participants with the right DLPFC suppressed was less able to keep their self-control in check, the Telegraph said, but they still understood the concept of fairness.

Earlier studies had suggested self-control was dependent on the DLPFC, among the last areas of the brain to mature. The latest study, published Friday in "Science," noted this part of the brain is not fully developed in young people, the Telegraph said.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International
Next step: altruism in a pill... better living through chemistry... Life in Happy Land (take your meds or else...:guns: ).

The mind is losing its mystery.
Good or bad?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
ARGH.
Wrote a big long response to this. And then it went pouf.

The quick version is, speaking as a researcher in some of this stuff, we don't know sh*t yet.

We more about the visual system than anything else in the brain, and at least one respected vision scientist has said that that means we maybe know 1% of the story.

We have a few, really cool, tantalizing pieces of a huuuuge puzzle. And I think they speak for an "embodied" view of cognition, that is, thinking being grounded in the brain in its body interacting with the environment. But we might be thinking about it all wrong, as we have been doing for thousands of years.

And even if we figure out what every pathways is doing, we still won't know what's going on subjectively, or why it is that way. Why red looks red, for example. Why pain feels like *that* and hurts, and not like the taste of sugar.

As a writer, I think this is Good. It's new, it's exciting, there are advances, but there are many many unanswered questions.

As a reader I think it's good and bad. I cannot read "mind-transplant" stories of any sort, and I have trouble with chips being inserted into human brains, too; the neuroscience research suggests that the first is impossible, and people get the second wrong.

As a researcher, I think it's daunting. Argh.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Shweta said:
...The quick version is, speaking as a researcher in some of this stuff, we don't know sh*t yet...
Somehow, I knew you were gonna say that.

Honestly, while I agree we're still at the tip of the iceberg, I see research uncovering secrets at a phenomenal rate. Just scrolling back through the headlines in this thread, it's clear that a lot of cognitive/neurological black boxes are revealing themselves – and the rate seems to be accelerating.

There's still plenty of unknowns left (I'm sure there will be for another half century or so)... but the mind really is losing its mystery.

...Which leaves me wondering: is that good or bad? Go with me here. What if we learn exactly what percentage of manifest behavior is conscious vs. unconscious? What if we know the average probability range for genetic vs. environmental influence? What if somebody invented a pill that caused revulsion at violence? What if we knew neurobiology so well that there was no room left for magic...?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Arright, I'll stay with my pessimism and leave you to your optimism :D
The answer is probably somewhere in between our positions. I think it'll take more like a hundred years before we run up against the Really Hard Problems and then I don't know.

Ordinary_Guy said:
...Which leaves me wondering: is that good or bad?

As I think I was saying, I think it's both. Depends on which hat I'm wearing.

Go with me here. What if we learn exactly what percentage of manifest behavior is conscious vs. unconscious? What if we know the average probability range for genetic vs. environmental influence? What if somebody invented a pill that caused revulsion at violence? What if we knew neurobiology so well that there was no room left for magic...?

But we do know some of that, at least vaguely. The normal number thrown at intro students is 1% of cognitive processing is conscious. That's probably generous.

And at every level, genetics and environment interact. It's not about percentages, it's about types of interaction. There is no either/or; it's both.

Revulsion at violence is... well, most people can be trained to that, and so we might be able to infer from that what'd happen if we could dump it on everyone.
Though, I think the most interesting question there is a level down. Would it work unintentionally on emotional violence? Would we all end up passive and conflict-avoidant and utterly risk-avoidant?

And you know at least part of what my position is on no room left for magic.
But beyond my personal beliefs -- let us assume that al the weird experiences everywhere are just psychosis, and there is no magic.
Doesn't matter.
People will still talk and think in terms of it. People are inherently storytellers, and we understand a great deal metaphorically, and especially anthropomorphically.

It's like the way we know the earth revolves around the sun but we'll still talk and think about sunrise.

Look at computer programmers. Very rational people? Cutting edge of technology? They talk about gremlins and black magic. We think in magical terms, for good or ill, and it'll creep in no matter what is proven.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Brains on the move...

More brain-computer interface food for thought...
Electronic chip, interacting with the brain, modifies pathways for controlling movement

Mechanism may have potential in stroke and brain injury rehabilitation

Researchers at the University of Washington (UW) are working on an implantable electronic chip that may help establish new nerve connections in the part of the brain that controls movement. Their most recent study, to be published in the Nov. 2, 2006, edition of Nature, showed such a device can induce brain changes in monkeys lasting more than a week. Strengthening of weak connections through this mechanism may have potential in the rehabilitation of patients with brain injuries, stroke, or paralysis.

The authors of study, titled "Long-Term Motor Cortex Plasticity Induced by an Electronic Neural Implant," were Dr. Andrew Jackson, senior research fellow in physiology and biophysics, Dr. Jaideep Mavoori, who recently earned a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the UW, and Dr. Eberhard Fetz, professor of physiology and biophysics. For many years Fetz and his colleagues have studied how the brains of monkeys control their limb muscles.

When awake, the brain continuously governs the body's voluntary movements. This is largely done through the activity of nerve cells in the part of the brain called the motor cortex. These nerve cells, or neurons, send signals down to the spinal cord to control the contraction of certain muscles, like those in the arms and legs.

The possibility that these neural signals can be recorded directly and used to operate a computer or to control mechanical devices outside of the body has been driving the rapidly expanding field of brain-computer interfaces, often abbreviated BCI. The recent Nature study suggests that the brain's nerve signals can be harnessed to create changes within itself.

The researchers tested a miniature, self-contained device with a tiny computer chip. The devices were placed on top of the heads of monkeys who were free to carry out their usual behaviors, including sleep. Called a Neurochip, the brain-computer interface was developed by Mavoori for his doctoral thesis.

"The Neurochip records the activity of motor cortex cells," Fetz explained, "It can convert this activity into a stimulus that can be sent back to the brain, spinal cord, or muscle, and thereby set up an artificial connection that operates continuously during normal behavior. This recurrent brain-computer interface creates an artificial motor pathway that the brain may learn to use to compensate for impaired pathways."

Jackson found that, when the brain-computer interface continuously connects neighboring sites in the motor cortex, it produces long-lasting changes. Namely, the movements evoked from the recording site changed to resemble those evoked from the stimulation site.

The researchers said that a likely explanation for these changes is the strengthening of pathways within the cortex from the recording to the stimulation site. This strengthening may have been produced by the continuous synchronization of activity at the two sites, generated by the recurrent brain-computer interface.

Timing is critical for creating these connections, the researchers said. The conditioning effect occurs only if the delay between the recorded activity and the stimulation is brief enough. The changes are produced in a day of continuous conditioning with the recurrent brain-computer interface, but last for many days after the circuit is turned off.

"This unusually long-lasting plasticity may be related to the fact that the conditioning is associated with normal behavior," Fetz said.
Just something to get your motor [cortex] runnin'...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now we know why Zombies prefer grey matter above all other snacks. ;)

Seriously, my brain hurts. Excellent stuff, you guys.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Now a nice possible extension to the motor cortex thing for humans...

Broca's area is pretty much in a premotor area (premotor areas seem to be responsible for high-level motor co-ordination, and they're where some of the mirror neuron system is). And it's an extremely important bit of the brain for language. Broca's Aphasia is pretty nasty*

So what if a chip could replace that part of the brain? *can* a chip be designed to replace mirror neurons, as opposed to normal motor neurons? It sounds like this chip is doing is Hebbian Learning, which is pretty limited, but if it can do that it could be extended to other learning algorithms...

* Though there's recent evidence that Broca's Aphasia isn't associated with Broca's Area, but with areas around it. Still premotor, I think.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Shweta said:
...So what if a chip could replace that part of the brain? *can* a chip be designed to replace mirror neurons, as opposed to normal motor neurons? It sounds like this chip is doing is Hebbian Learning, which is pretty limited, but if it can do that it could be extended to other learning algorithms...
Probably could replace it – though I couldn't guess at a timetable. Movement seems like fairly easy cause/effect that can be replicated. Higher functions seem tied larger algorithms which probably can be replicated to a degree – but we run into hardware limitations.

...When we see these interface going in, I often wonder what kind of chips they're using. If it's anything like what they use for satellites, the chips are usually "hardened" against severe environmental effects (extreme heat, cold, radiation), not to mention power supplies and support structure, etc. After a couple of hundred million dollars are put into a project, before the satellite/probe/whatever even gets off the ground, its processors are several generations behind the cutting edge because the engineers need to work with a exact known quantity. I would imagine that biological environments aren't much friendlier. Maybe not the extreme heat/cold/radiation but still limited access once it's in place and potentially caustic environment (white blood cells can't be good for circuit boards).

I'd bet that as electronic engineering starts catering to the growing bio-interface field, we'll see faster progress on what's possible – what can be "replaced" or at least supplemented.

Thought on what will really open up bioelectronics: self-contained power systems that do away with batteries and use blood sugar to power the chip/device/apparatus. Once you've got something that's integrated with systems-in-place (ie: you), that'll open a new door on electronic integration. The hip style will bring us a little closer to the Borg (though hopefully leave us with more personality).

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread although a little over my head.

Perhaps Ordinary_Guy can help me out. In my book I have the Ringwood tree that supposedly stores information in an extended DNA and links to other trees via roots. The book is supposedly science fiction as opposed to magical fantasy stuff so I'm supposed to supply a plausible technical explanation. My problem is that I have humans interfacing with the Wood through touch and speaking into and hearing it much like speach. Can you cook me up an explanation that doesn't smack too much of fantasy?

Kentuk

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
What do people hear, Kentuk?

DNA is just a chemical that interacts with other chemicals to create effects. If the effects aren't visual or auditory, you're going to need enhanced humans somehow. Might be that the tree releases chemicals that make humans more sensitive to certain signals, but if it's SF then you want the human brains to be receiving some kind of input.

So that's the first important question. What kind of input does the tree provide?

What kind of information does it store, and what's the evolutionary reason? (Or was the tree engineered?)

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Engineered by the Ancients as a minor technology and then developed.
Right my problem is the interface. Elephants can hear through their feet right?
Don't know open to suggestion.
The business of having trees replace the internet allows for a very dispersed, unstructured society.
The idea of talking trees came from sitting in a ring of giant ancient Redwood and wondering what they had witnessed and heard.
The extended DNA bit seems a plausible way to store information but as you point out I lack a way of transmitting it to the human brain. Don't really want to go the paranormal route, want to make it seem like technology.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
right, so.

Storing information in DNA only works if there's a way to decode it. And you'd have to decide whether the whole tree changed its molecular structure, or if it had special nodes where the DNA had changed.

Could people have devices that grabbed cell samples and decoded them?

-- And then you'd have to decide how the information got encoded, of course. And what mutation would do.