PDA

View Full Version : Widow rented rotary phone for 42 years

GPatten
09-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Widow rented rotary phone for 42 years

Ester Strogen, 82 of Canton Ohio said, she's not a big fan of her new push-button phone.

I'd like to have my rotary back, I like that better.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_on_fe_st/renting_rotary

----------------------------------------------------

God love her, there aught to be more people in this world like her. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/pattengr/OldSeaCaptain.jpg

Christine N.
09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Don't laugh. We bought our house from an elderly lady who lived alone and was moving to a home. She also rented her phone... a big black rotary thing. And the house had no air conditioning and no cable.

I don't know how she stood living here - not the TV thing, but no a/c??? Not even a ceiling fan, we put those in. This house gets HOT in the afternoons in the summer.

eldragon
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Last winter, when we were visiting my mother-n-law in Belgrade, Yugoslavia - I had to use her rotary phone to call British Airways to try to locate our lost luggage.

Rotary phones are very bad when the recorded voice says "For customer service - press 1."

kristie911
09-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I had an old rotary phone that belonged to my grandparents and sold it last year in a yard sale for a dollar. The lady that bought it had to be 90 years old, she was so excited to find it!

robeiae
09-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't know how she stood living here - not the TV thing, but no a/c??? Not even a ceiling fan, we put those in. This house gets HOT in the afternoons in the summer.
Lemonade?

stormie
09-18-2006, 05:14 PM
My MIL still has an old rotary phone in her downstairs hallway. (To her credit, she does have push button phones, too.) When my kids were much younger and my older son tried to make a call on that old phone, he kept pushing on the numbers on the rotary dial and got frustrated that it didn't work.

robeiae
09-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Actually, I have an old (very old) candlestick phone (rotary, of course) that still works! I also have a full sized butter churn...

eldragon
09-18-2006, 05:22 PM
My daughter (8 at the time) loved her grandmother's rotary phone so much that we took it home with us. It's in our kitchen now, and works fine.

The ring is funny - a buzz more than a ring.

Shadow_Ferret
09-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Don't laugh. We bought our house from an elderly lady who lived alone and was moving to a home. She also rented her phone... a big black rotary thing. And the house had no air conditioning and no cable.

People didn't used to be wimps. :tongue I didn't live in a house that had AC until I was in my 30s.

As for the rotary phone thing, well, those were the perfect machine. Indestructable. Reliable. Lasted forever. Unlike the modern phones which are virtually disposable, one use and they break.

persiphone_hellecat
09-18-2006, 11:18 PM
I would love to have an old rotary Princess phone.

Stew21
09-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I also have a full sized butter churn...

good exercise.

Jaycinth
09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
I think the idea is that she rented the silly phone for 42 years. The phone company was supposed to give people the option of buying their old phone set for $25.00 back in 1976 or maybe earlier. I remember my uncle told my mom, then she sat down and figured how much rental was going to be, then BAM we had those new princess phones.

Every year a story comes up with some poor older person saying they never realized they could buy thier phones. The phone company should have been responsible enough to enclose a monthly or even yearly notice telling the people they could buy their phones. After 1980 they should have just stopped billing customers who had been renting since 1965.
(****mutter mutter *foul words* Mutter****)

Shadow_Ferret
09-18-2006, 11:25 PM
She probably never reads her bill breakdown and well, she doesn't have an answering machine to get those phone calls to tell her she could buy it.

MidnightMuse
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Well, call me Shirley - I had no idea anyone ever did rent a phone :Shrug:

Jaycinth
09-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Oh, GREAT, make me feel old why don't you?

JoeEkaitis
09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Just before deregulation and divestiture, the Bell System ran an ad to remind us of the benefits of renting our phones. Anyone remember it?

While the Anvil Chorus played in the background, all sorts of terrible things happened to phones: a handset cord is stretched until it breaks; a phone is on fire; another is at the bottom of an aquarium. After about 25 seconds of this, an off-camera announcer assured us:

"No matter what happens to your Bell System phone, we'll fix it for free, and we'll fix it forever."

Who knew forever came about 6 months later?

MidnightMuse
09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey, I'm no spring cluckling! Just an ignorant one :D

Shadow_Ferret
09-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Well, call me Shirley - I had no idea anyone ever did rent a phone :Shrug:

Oh, yeah, when I was a kid you weren't allowed to OWN a phone. You had to rent them. At least that's how I remember it.

cree
09-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Ah, memories of party lines! Hilarious. I still remember the "different" ringtones of the neighbors, and how my dad used to make my mom "inform" whoever was on the line that he needed to use the phone (because apparently he couldn't do it himself). And Mom's voice saying "Mildred, pardon me Mildred? Can I cut in? Can you give us ten minutes on the line?"
What a debacle. Can you imagine today's teenagers having to put up with that?

Unique
09-18-2006, 11:59 PM
and how my dad used to make my mom "inform" whoever was on the line that he needed to use the phone (because apparently he couldn't do it himself).

This is the part I can't imagine.

JoeEkaitis
09-19-2006, 12:13 AM
I would love to have an old rotary Princess phone.They've brought back the look but not the feel.

Can't have everything, I suppose.

http://www.crosleyradio.com/ivault/cr59pi_XL.jpg
[/URL][URL="http://www.crosleyradio.com/prods/cr59.html"]Crosley Princess Phone (http://www.crosleyradio.com)

johnnysannie
09-19-2006, 01:20 AM
If you want the authentic thing, try a flea market. My home is all electric and I have cordless phones which don't work if the power is out. So I bought several of the old Bell phones and use them too. They are durable and work great - if you don't mind being tethered!

In ye olden days when all phone company customers rented their phones, you could choose the basic black rotary desk or wall model for the basic rental price. For more, you could get a Princess or TrimLine style or a colored phone.

Shadow_Ferret
09-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I remember when the parents of a friend of mine got the princess phone, sometime in the 60s. We all thought that was the coolest thing. What a neat phone! That is just so hip, man. Groovy. You cats are with it.

awatkins
09-19-2006, 02:07 AM
In ye olden days when all phone company customers rented their phones, you could choose the basic black rotary desk or wall model for the basic rental price. For more, you could get a Princess or TrimLine style or a colored phone.

Oh, yes. I had a yellow wall phone with a reaaaaaaaal long cord (that cost extra). And a party line. When my grandmother died, I had to interrupt a couple of chatty elderly ladies who didn't take kindly to being butted in on. When I started crying, they got all sympathetic, but before they relinquished the line, I had to answer all their questions. Then I could use the phone. Ah, good times.

Gah!

Christine N.
09-19-2006, 02:17 AM
People didn't used to be wimps. :tongue I didn't live in a house that had AC until I was in my 30s.

As for the rotary phone thing, well, those were the perfect machine. Indestructable. Reliable. Lasted forever. Unlike the modern phones which are virtually disposable, one use and they break.

I swear I was always like this. Even when I was a kid I couldn't take sleeping in the heat. We only had a window unit downstairs, and me and my sisters would camp on the living room floor almost all summer.

Now it affects me even more... I wilt in the heat.

GPatten
09-19-2006, 02:26 AM
The rotary phone is good to have in a power outage such as hurricanes, unless the phone lines are down. I have one for just that reason, but I donít have any solution to the loss of air conditioning for three, or four weeks during the hot, humid Florida summer. Itís a killer.

jdkiggins
09-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Recently I had to move my uncle into a nursing home and clean out his apartment. I forwarded all his mail so I could take care of his final bills. Thank goodness I grabbed the old rotary phone! He still WAS renting it. They told me I had to return it and sent me a bubble envelope to do so. Good grief, all the money wasted all those years. He'll be 81 next Wednesday.

My mom still has two rotary phones in her house, but she bought them back during the change.

Glad I bought her a cordless years ago.

writerterri
09-19-2006, 03:12 AM
We bought my grandma a cordless, she couldn't ever work it and she was hard of hearing. I laugh just remembering our conversations...Nana! It's me...no! I'm here! You answered it! Don't hang up! Nana! Click.

I could hear her cussing in the back ground about the damn phone. Then when we'd go over to her house you could hear the urgent beeping noise from the hall way cause she couldn't shut off the phone when she was done. "Nana! You didn't hang up the phone."

"Oh, is that what that noise is?"

I'd give my left pinkie to have her back for a day. She was funny.

kikazaru
09-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Widow rented rotary phone for 42 years

Ester Strogen, 82 of Canton Ohio said, she's not a big fan of her new push-button phone.

I must have been in the middle of a hot flash when I read the widow's name. I read Estrogen at first...

We had a party line as well when I was a kid and phone numbers also included saying the letters the number fell on -ours was KI8-4072.

Christine N.
09-19-2006, 03:30 AM
We always buy Grandmom the phone with the really BIG buttons.

And I read Estrogen too.. is Ester Strogen a real name? Sounds kinda made up, now that you say it.

batgirl
09-19-2006, 03:33 AM
Ester Strogen?
Do her friends call her 'Es' for short?
Is this real? The story is quoted elsewhere, but I can't find anything independent about this woman. And the name sounds ... like a joke.
-Barbara

K1P1
09-19-2006, 07:38 AM
I still have one rotary dial phone, although we're not using it at the moment. But, you know, there are push button phones that work when the power is off. They're easy to find. I even have a two line phone that works when the power is off. Just look for one that isn't cordless and doesn't have an answering machine/digital recorder. They require a separate electric power plug-in, because they draw more power than the telephone line provides. But there are plenty of regular phones that still work while the power is off.

Nangleator
09-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Widow ... Ester Strogen...
Who was her late husband? Tester Ostorone?

johnnysannie
09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh, yes. I had a yellow wall phone with a reaaaaaaaal long cord (that cost extra). And a party line. When my grandmother died, I had to interrupt a couple of chatty elderly ladies who didn't take kindly to being butted in on. When I started crying, they got all sympathetic, but before they relinquished the line, I had to answer all their questions. Then I could use the phone. Ah, good times.

Gah!

Oh, those extra long cords! Since you could only have a phone where there was an existing jack (and if you wanted more than one, you had to pay the phone company to install it), the family wall phone was in the kitchen by the back door when I was a teenager. That long cord saved my life because it allowed me to drag the phone outside to talk to friends. I nearly froze in the winter but it was worth it to me to have a little privacy!

I was on a party line when I first moved out on my own and hated it. I could never use the phone when I wanted without someone wanting the phone or listening in. I don't miss party lines at all!!!

robeiae
09-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Our family phone was kinda hard to get to...

http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/images/e102.jpg

eldragon
09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I remember when the parents of a friend of mine got the princess phone, sometime in the 60s. We all thought that was the coolest thing. What a neat phone! That is just so hip, man. Groovy. You cats are with it.

They must have been rich.

My dad only owned a Chevrolet Dealership - we couldn't afford a princess phone. Those were for doctor's kids.