Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Part of my psyche class is a dip into physiology. Now, I'm used to teaching myself, so whizzing through the textbook (while retaining the info)is no problem for me. However, there are a few occasions where I read a paragraph or two, go "Ughn?" and go cross eyed for a while.

This particular crosseyed moment was brought on by a very simple question that I can't get (textbooks tend to be vague when it knows the info's going to be on the test):

What exactly are axons, somas, and dendrites, what's their connection, and what do they do? Which one of these three sends info, and which on receives?

I've combed through the entire chapter and back and I can't sort it out. Bleh...

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
What exactly are axons, somas, and dendrites, what's their connection, and what do they do? Which one of these three sends info, and which on receives?

I've combed through the entire chapter and back and I can't sort it out. Bleh...

axons: Neuron process that carries impulses away from the nerve cell body.
dendrites: Branching neuron process that serves as a receptive or input region; transmits the nerve impulse to the cell body.
soma: the cell body also called the perikaryon.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
SO, I'm assuming that the dendrites receive, the axons are just "runners" or "highways", and I suppose that would leave the soma as the "sender"? (I have a feeling I may have dendrites and soma backwards....)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The soma is the cell body - a nerve cell body. Think of it like a bus terminal. Buses (impulses) come in and go out.

Think of it this way (aren't there any pictures in your book?)

------O--------
D.......S........A
Bus comes in on D - picks up info at S - leaves on A.

Did that help?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Um...I'll try to make this kind of analogous...but I'll probably fail miserably.

Think of it in baseball terms...

The soma is the pitcher's body.

The axon is his pitching arm.

The myelin sheath / myelination is the pitcher's long shirt sleeve.

The synaptic cleft is the distance between the pitcher's mound (or arm, in this example) and the catcher's mit / home plate.

The dendrite is the catcher's mit.

(the baseball is, of course, the impulse.)

Um...does any of that make any sense? Don't take the analogy too far (or literally) because it'll fall apart very quickly. ;)

Edited to add: I just saw that Unique posted an example while I was typing mine. Hers is good. Use whatever is most helpful to you. I wasn't trying to step on toes. Just didn't see she'd already posted. :)

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Dendrites are like little fingers sticking out from the neurons that grab the cell and send the message to it. The axon is the main body of the neuron, like the highway.

And I've no idea what a soma is.

But I can explain to you how muscles move, the structure of the cells and most of the proteins, ions and molecules inside muscle cells.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Just don't ask me about the Sodium-Potassium Pump, axon collaterals, teleodendria, phospholipids, or concentration gradients.

We might have to switch to American football then, and I'm not too good at explaining football.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
DamaNegra said:
Dendrites are like little fingers sticking out from the neurons that grab the cell and send the message to it.

Dendrites receive the messages, not send them. Positionally, they're like the really messy "hair" on the cell's "head."

The axon is the main body of the neuron, like the highway.

You're half right. The soma is the main body of the neuron. It contains the nucleus. The axon is the long arm sticking out (the highway) from the soma. It sends the message.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DrSpork said:
Just don't ask me about the Sodium-Potassium Pump, axon collaterals, teleodendria, phospholipids, or concentration gradients.

We might have to switch to American football then, and I'm not too good at explaining football.

Oh, come on. What's a little Na/K when compared to the Kreb's Cycle? ;)

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The Citric Acid / Kreb's Cycle is easy.

Just mix up a bunch of NADH, NAD+, and FADH, add a dash of H2O, and...voila!

Everything ends up being a crapload ATP.

Or...something like that. It's been a looong while since I was a biology major.

;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do what I did.

Thump youself on the chest while chanting, 'soma, soma, soma' (Yes, you'll feel ridiculous.)

Axons - Away

That leaves dedrites. The devil is in the Details.
Be thankful that's all they're asking for - ;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! No, but maybe my professor had. :ROFL:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Unique said:
Do what I did.

Thump youself on the chest while chanting, 'soma, soma, soma' (Yes, you'll feel ridiculous.)

Exactly. Run around your room, asking yourself, "Soma gonna fail this test or what?!"

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.