PDA

View Full Version : Short Writing Challenge #1

Xathax
09-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Put this in the wrong section before. Maybe people would get some use out of it here.

Back at the old forum I used to spend too much time at, there were weekly challenges posted by various members that I really enjoyed. I thought I might import a few of them here, and see if the sentiment is shared. (lol, I just reflexively hit ctrl-s to save. Guess I've been writing too much lately... if that's possible).

So, here are the rules for Challenge #1:
Rule 1: 100 to 500 words. No more, no less.
Rule 2: Use at least two of these lines in your story.
1. I shall not go, your company is better than his.
2. The beasts were there, their noses into the wind.
3. There' s not going to be a birthday orgy. This is it. Right now.
4. There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard.
5. What will they do to me? Kill me with digital bullets, put digital poison in my wine?.
6. The woman's self delusions floored me.

I'll post my original response in a bit after some others try their hand at it.

Enjoy!

persiphone_hellecat
09-16-2006, 03:43 AM
OK - I'm game. It was harder than I thought. I was stuck at 154 words for a LONG time. Finally made it. Here goes. If you like it, rep it please - DClary is beating me by 4 points == so he says. Persi

Can you believe this b!tch? The woman's self delusions floored me. We work together. On her birthday, I get a card and a little something. Like a stapler from the supply closet. It's the thought that counts. Today’s my birthday. On my desk’s a card and a bottle of Brut. Great. I can smell like grandpa. At lunch, my buds take me to celebrate. We stay late, get a little loaded. When we get back, the place’s empty. We’ll sign out, and head back for more of the hare that bit us. I turn the corner and stop dead in my tracks. There’s this b!tch -- completely naked, rolling on my desk covered in some substance I assume is oil. Is she kidding? Behind me, my buds chuckle nervously. There' s not going to be a birthday orgy. This is it. Right now. I grab my Brut and bust a move.

Xathax
09-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Question 1) Rep points?

Question 2) I don't get the story. She's rolling his desk in oil?

He works with this chick and gets stuff from her on her birthday and he goes out to drink with his buds and they go back to work and there's a naked chick rolling his desk? I read it three times and still don't know what's happeneng... Maybe it's me.

aadams73
09-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Question 2) I don't get the story. She's rolling his desk in oil?
I read it three times and still don't know what's happeneng... Maybe it's me.

Yes, its just you. You clearly don't have a dirty mind. :) She's rolling on the desk *in* oil. Oil, lubrication, get it?

aadams73
09-17-2006, 01:23 AM
"I'm hotter than a pizza oven," she said, flirting with her own image in the bathroom mirror.
The woman's self delusions floored me. I stood there watching as she smeared too-red lipstick over wrinkled lips. The waxy substance bled quickly into the lines and out past the point where her lips ended. She blew a kiss at herself and turned around to face me.
"I look fantastic, right?"
"If you say so," I said, eyeing the rat's nest perched on her head.
"You're just jealous because he's going home with me tonight."
Going home with him? Was she really that deluded? "Um..." I did a quick once-over in the mirror. Hair, check, face, check. Everything appeared to be right where I'd left it. "I don't think he's my type."
"Oooo he's so darn handsome tonight. I just know he wants me."
I shoved past her to get out into the fresh air of the open room outside. The beasts were there, their noses into the wind as Dad fired up the charcoal.
"Mom, I said, turning to the woman behind me. "Trust me, dad is all yours."

Xathax
09-17-2006, 10:28 AM
There’s this b!tch -- completely naked, rolling my desk covered in some substance I assume is oil.

Ah, it's supposed to be "rolling on my desk covered in some substance." I kept reading it as rolling my desk, as in rolling it down a hill. The whole thing makes sense when you add that "on."

I was just trying to piece that in with the rest. Amazing what a difference one word makes. I must have been pretty dense when I was reading it before to not put that in there. My apologies.

These sentences weren't mine, I just copy-pasted it verbatim from the other board I used to write on.

And what are rep points?

persiphone_hellecat
09-17-2006, 10:56 AM
thank you. Rep points are given for posts we enjoy reading ... its the middle symbol under your name

persiphone_hellecat
09-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I just gave you a rep point for starting the game

DamaNegra
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
"There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard." Tracy lifted up the kitchen knife and stabbed at the sandwich. The china gave in under the knife and cracked. Alison winced at the sickening noise. She grabbed the knife and tried to pry it from Tracy's fingers.

"Don't," Alison said. "He's a member of the Alpha Bit. You don't want to mess with them." Tracy laughed, throwing her head back.

"What will they do to me? Kill me with digital bullets, put digital poison in my wine?" she asked. "They've got no real power outside of the internet, they cannot harm me."

"Oh yes they can," Alison said, lowering her voice.

"They can't mess up my life any more," Tracy said. "And if you stand in my way, that means you're on HIS side!" Tracy kicked Alison in the stomach. Alison bended over, sputtering blood, and landed with her knees on the ground. Tracy kicked her again, on the face. The bone of Alison's nose made a loud crack as it broke in two.

"Now, let's kill that bastard."

persiphone_hellecat
09-18-2006, 08:58 AM
OK ... here goes ... all 6 sentences in one story ... 150 words. I felt challenged to try and use all of them. Here goes...

I play Everkwest online as ‘Princess Akila', madly in love with ‘Tarek’ aka Ted from Chicago. Recently, this chick Dianne, aka Surana started making moves on Tarek. The woman's self delusions floored me. Tonight, she tries sending me away with the evil Otranto. I’m clinging to Tarek and typing “I shall not go, your company is better than his!” but Surana’s pushing my buttons. It’s my birthday and Tarek and I planned this hot love scene. Well, there' s not going to be a birthday orgy. This is it. Right now. Forgeddaboudit. There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard. Her friends, the beasts were there, their noses into the wind, or more likely up her butt. What will they do to me? Kill me with digital bullets, put digital poison in my wine? Dumb b!tch, it’s just a game. Duh!

Soccer Mom
09-22-2006, 12:10 AM
The beasts were there, their noses in the wind. I crept across the damp grass, wincing at the occasional sharp stone. I saw him, the large, black shaggy monster who had come down to the village last night. Each night it was the same: the smells, the howling, the missing villagers. By daylight the were-men retreated to mountains. But today there would be no safe place for the shaggy, black one.

There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard.

I crept closer and he turned to face me. I froze.

It's eyes were closed, but that nose was still in the air. It's yellow eyes opened and I knew I had been found.

I sprang to my feet and pointed my rifle. It's eyes widened in recognition. "Sarah?" it said.

I was too slow to react and that was my downfall. It had me before I knew it. How could I know the were-man leader was missing husband?

I transformed for the first time as the sun sank down below the mountains. Now I run with the pack, my nose in the air, close to my shaggy beast.

Rolling Thunder
09-22-2006, 01:02 AM
“I shall not go, your company is better than his,” Billy JoeBob said.
“But you must go,” I cried. “The beasts were there, their noses into the wind. The farm critters here are frightened by you and Mister Ed. Why would you leave them alone with him?”
“Why should Billy go?” Becky Lou retorted. “It’s not like he’s gonna go all ‘deliverance like’ on your precious little animals.”
The woman's self delusions floored me.
“That’s easy for you to say!” I said
”Enough! There's not going to be a birthday orgy. This is it. Right now.” Billy said. “Now, both of you get into them thar sheep costumes.”
I smiled at the look on Becky Lou’s face. Smug little *****. She didn’t know Billy as well as she thought, but she was about to. In the biblical sense. Well, sort of.
As we changed into our costumes I heard her mutter, “There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard.”
The cameras were being set up as we walked out into the barnyard. Billy JoeBob sat in his directors chair, clad only in a silk robe.
“I’m getting outta here,” Becky Lou whispered. “What will they do to me? Kill me with digital bullets, put digital poison in my wine?.”
Billy stood up and flung his robe over his chair, revealing his beer belly and the other disgusting parts of his nether region. He strode out onto the platform, splashing body lotion on himself but he didn’t smile; he was a professional.
“Forget about digital bullets and poison,” I said to Becky Lou. “I’ll do this scene with Billy. You take the next one.”
Becky’s face brightened in relief. She smiled at me and laughed.
“You are the best friend a girl could ask for!” she gushed.
“No problem,” I replied.
Too bad she didn’t know much about Mister Ed. Unknown to her, I had seen the shooting schedule. Billy JoeBob loved that horse. Literally.
Soon, she would too.

Larry
09-22-2006, 04:36 AM
“Did you see the big sign by the highway that read, There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard, in six foot green letters with a guy in a green jumpsuit spraying some poor bug? A funny slogan for a pest control company, don’t you think?” She asks.
“Yes, I saw the ad, it does get your attention,” he replied.
“Well hell, after seeing that, apparently their best work, I don’t think I’m going to work for them,” she said.
“Really, they say they pay very well.”
“No, I won’t go there, I don’t care how much they pay. Listen up, I shall not go; your company is better then his. I truly do believe that and I can hardly wait to start working for you, what time do you want me here?” She asks.
“I’ll call, leave your number at the desk on your way out, thank you.”

persiphone_hellecat
09-22-2006, 09:24 AM
I’m at the zoo with my kids and Alan Goldman from next door. It’s my daughter’s birthday. My kids hate Alan, but his mother never fails to shove him in the car when we’re going out. The woman's self delusions floored me. It's hot and the zoo smell is starting to ripen. The beasts were there, their noses into the wind. The monkeys are …doing what monkeys do. Hey! My kids are watching! There' s not going to be a birthday orgy. This is it. Right now. Next thing I know, Alan throws up on my Juicy Coutures. There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard. Just as I’m about to smack him back to the Ming Dynasty, I see Security on their walkie-talkies, coming for me. What will they do? Kill me with digital bullets, put digital poison in my wine?

Xathax
09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Naven looked down again, away from the gray surface of the wind-scuffed bay and the city that sat beyond. An absent hand pushed away her long black hair.

The beasts were there, their noses into the wind

She paused...

I wonder if it was I who sinned, if this leaving was by me caused...

Naven looked up again, resting her arm on the reaching limb of the stump on which she sat. Dead brown grass brushed against her leg, her sweater tugging in the wind.

Or maybe else will I find, that the beasts of greed and hunger - never quenched

Tear at the mind, the heart, the soul, of me, of mine, this slattern wench

I have become...

Her pen stopped as she looked out over the home that was a part, no, the sum, of all that had happened in Nevan's life. Her whole world, everything she was, everything she had was here, how could she leave?

Now I grieve, not for comfort, for my future seems rife

With empty wealth as the private wife, on the arm of a rich and famous man...

Her eyes drifted to the scudding clouds where, somewhere above flew her aged betrothed and his van. Those frail yet mighty men whose eyes turned her stomach and made her skin crawl.

Instead I grieve for my all - for the monsters come, my scent in the air

For a girl, poor and fair, has caught the eye, another young prey...

She would be leaving everything behind in hopes that a desperate young woman who caught his eye would not be cast out when that cold, hungry man had had his way.

But perhaps she will not go this day...

As she stood, Naven hugged her journal against her, buffeted by the wind, hair streaming across her face. The journal held close, she looked out at her city.

A smile, worried but resolute, crossed her face.

"I shall not go," she whispered. "Your company is better than his."

Soccer Mom
09-25-2006, 09:29 PM
How about five new sentences to play with, purty please?

persiphone_hellecat
09-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Good idea... New thread - Challenge Two in case anyone wants to still add to this one ... less confusing.

Xathax
09-26-2006, 07:01 AM
I have a pre-made challenge 2, I'll post it now

persiphone_hellecat
09-27-2006, 07:05 AM
More of the adventures of Clary. D Clary.

The door opened and in walked a tall,Asian drink of water. She glanced around the room and stepped inside. The door closed behind her, causing her to jump and freeze in her tracks.

“Looking for something Mai Ling?” She heard the sound of the trigger of a Smith and Wesson pulling back.

She hissed her reply. “Clary. It’s you.”

He held the gun in a two-handed grip, taking full advantage of the rear view. “Yes, it is me. And the name’s Clary. D Clary. America's finest agent. t is my room, Mai Ling, of course it's me. Who sent you? You don’t have to answer that. It was Vera Wang of the International Fashion Designers Federation. If dif. Damn them! I’ve always despised her since she designed clothes for the American skaters in the Olympics. The woman's self delusions floored me. I swear she left some sequins loose so Nancy Kerrigan would slip and lose. Vera Wang cost us the gold in Lillehammer in ’94. Damn those Russians! Well she can forget it! I only buy American!”

Mai Ling laughed sardonically. “It is you who will slip and lose, D Clary.”

“That may very well be, my little won-ton, but that doesn’t explain why you are in my room. Although it is somewhat of a pleasant birthday surprise. Still, unless you brought friends,there' s not going to be a birthday orgy. This is it. Right now. You and me. Mano a Mammo.” He adjusted his American flag bowtie and grinned at his own humor.

Clary suddenly realized they were not alone. The beasts were there, their noses into the wind. He watched as a tarantula slowly climbed up the arm of his Calvin Klein tuxedo. He looked at it and smiled at Mai Ling.

“There is no mountain high enough and no river wide enough, I'm gonna kill the bastard.” He flicked the tarantula off his suit and stepped on it, crushing it flat. “Time for you to go, Mai Ling. Unfortunately you have a date with Detective Tilly down at headquarters. I feel sorry for you, Mai Ling, I really do. Tilly will be hard on you. He’ll break you, and it won’t be pretty. Have you ever been belly-slapped my little lotus? Trust me, you will confess.”

Mai Ling threw herself into Clary’s arms. “I shall not go, your company is better than his.”

Clary thought for a moment before he took off his jacket, hanging it on the handle of the door so the lapel pin was covered. Back at headquarters, his monitor went dead and agents went into rescue mode. Clary glanced at his Bulova watch. The way he had it figured, he had about 45 minutes before they found him. More than enough time for a little Chinese takeout. He pushed her back onto the bed.

“But Mr. Clary! Your agents will find you in a compromising position!”

“What will they do to me? Kill me with digital bullets, put digital poison in my wine?” Using his Smith and Wesson, he shot out the light and the room fell into darkness.