exploring something new for Nano

Kharisma

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to try Nano this year (just started writing in August) and was going to try writing something that I haven't really tried before; a romance about a young witch. Any ideas where I can find resources to research? I tried google but I am not the best at the interenet and I ended out with like a million pages to choose from.

Any help would be useful.
thanks
Sherry

PS: I know there is a big nano thread in writing novels, but any romance writers joining?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Kharisma said:
Hello,
I am going to try Nano this year (just started writing in August) and was going to try writing something that I haven't really tried before; a romance about a young witch. Any ideas where I can find resources to research? I tried google but I am not the best at the interenet and I ended out with like a million pages to choose from.

Any help would be useful.
thanks
Sherry

PS: I know there is a big nano thread in writing novels, but any romance writers joining?

Well, you're having trouble because you need to narrow your search focus -- even for us. What exactly is it that you want to research? Are you looking for references on paganism and stuff like that as related to witches? Are you looking to find other novels that feature witches so you can read them to see how other people have handled them? (Nora Roberts' Three Sisters trilogy springs immediately to mind. I LOVED those books.)

You need to narrow your search parameters. :)

Susan G.

Kharisma

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Susan. To be honest I think I have to put my thinking cap on a bit tighter since I am not sure how I want the story to go. I have the concept but I need to focus a bit more to figure out what I need to research. I think I just need to get an accurrate feel for the Wiccan community.

Thanks again

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Maprilynne said:
Uh, Nano?:Shrug: :Huh: :e2shrug: :Wha:

Help me out here.:)

Maprilynne

NaNoWriMo= National Novel Writing Month. Every year, there's this sort of competition to write a novel during the month of November. No prize, just the knowledge that you've written a novel. I believe the word count has to be 50k. It's fun and I tried it in 2004. (Only got as far as 10k though due to life)

Here's the link: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Susan Gable said:
(Nora Roberts' Three Sisters trilogy springs immediately to mind. I LOVED those books.)

Susan G.

Oh! I Love, Love, LOVE that trilogy!!!!! My children got ahold of my first trilogy and tore the back covers off of one or two of them, and they tore up the pages in the back (thankfully just the ones with the "previews" on them) and I was heartbroken because I'm the type that keeps my novels to read over and over. Luckily, a couple of months ago, I was in our local library, and I glanced over at the little rack that has donated books, mostly paperbacks on them and I found the entire trilogy there, in EXCELLENT condition! I had to buy them, for $1.00 per book. I also found several of her other trilogies there over the next couple of days. I found the "Born In" trilogy, the "Irish" trilogy, and her "In the Garden" trilogy.

I love her books, but the first novel I ever read by her was Dance Upon the Air from the Three Sisters Island trilogy, and I really was spellbound!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Just please, please, I beg you, remember that "witch" does NOT automatically equal "Wiccan". They are not synonyms!!

Not all witches are heavily Goddess-centered, we don't all celebrate all of the Wiccan holidays, Wicca as a religion is only 50 years old! We do NOT all believe in the Wiccan Rede, so please don't call it an "ancient witch's law"!!

Sorry...I just get a little het up over this one...

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
DecemberQuinn said:
Just please, please, I beg you, remember that "witch" does NOT automatically equal "Wiccan". They are not synonyms!!

Not all witches are heavily Goddess-centered, we don't all celebrate all of the Wiccan holidays, Wicca as a religion is only 50 years old! We do NOT all believe in the Wiccan Rede, so please don't call it an "ancient witch's law"!!

Sorry...I just get a little het up over this one...

This is true. Wicca is the religion created by Gerald Gardener around the 1950's. He pulled elements from many different things (old earth religions, some even say elements of the masons were incorporated) to create Wicca. Not all witches are Wiccan, and not all Wiccans are witches. You can be Wiccan without being a "witch".

DecemberQuinn is right, it's a common mistake that people make, and it is quite frustrating to those who are witches, as well as those who are Wiccan (and confusing to those who don't know!). Do plenty of research to discover if you want her to be a witch or a Wiccan, and then you might even wish to look into the different "paths" that are out there. While there is the religion of Wicca, Paganism follows many different paths, so you might want to spent the next month doing TONS of research.

I wish you the best of luck!!