4 8 15 16 23 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recognize the "bad numbers?" If so, you must be a "LOST" fan. As usual with these things, I came late to the party. We just finished watching the complete Second Season on DVD of television's most deliciously psychotic show. I am absolutely in awe of the writing of that show. If you haven't been watching, you can either rent or purchase the first two seasons. The series resumes in a few weeks with new episodes on television. It is a clinic on writing post modern science fiction/fantasy, not to mention how to hook viewers (or readers) with first-rate cliff-hangers.

I thought we ought to have a little "LOST" thread here in the SF/F Forum. There's lots of stuff to talk about the show, especially the brilliance of the writing.

So, any other "LOST" fans out there?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I just got Season 2 as a present. I watched most of it on Tivo until they stopped airing it in favor of DVD sales.

Love the show, just hoping I can find the time to see them all before Season 3 starts.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'm hopelessly addicted to Lost. I even have the season premiere marked on my calendar and have informed all the committees, organizations and teams that I am part of that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES am I to be interupted during these very crucial hours.

I love the writing, I love the idea, and most of all, I love the eye candy. It's time to upload my Hunky Guys of Flight 815 wallpaper again.

By the way, does anyone remember a short lived series called Earth 2? It's available on DVD now, and has Clancy Brown and Tim Curry in it -- the premise is actually very similar to Lost, only they've crashed on another planet instead of an island.

DVGuru

Plays too many video games
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Lost fan also. It's one of the few network shows I watch. You should read Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. It's a huge influence for Lost.

Variant Frequencies

Podcaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.variantfrequencies.com
I LOVED Lost in the first season, but they just about lost me in the second. Too many questions, not enough answers. Too many pointless events. Hurley, my favorite character, found love and then lost it before it even got going. Locke was wonderful in season 1, weak in season 2.
Too much Ana Lucia, not enough Sayid.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I love LOST. I love the men of LOST. I don't try to understand most of it; I just enjoy the ride.

I agree about Locke, though - first season, he was the soul of the island. In season 2, he felt adrift. And they need to give Sayid more to do.

Karen

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I love Lost too. I hear they're going to make season 3 more action and less island mythology -- more like Indiana Jones. I personally can't wait. :D

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched most of the 1st season, but gave up on it not far into the 2nd. I really get the feeling that writers are making it up as they go along, never answering any questions, bending the characters to match the will of their scenarios.

When they added a whole 'nother set of characters (those in the tail) before ever dealing with any of the issues with the 1st set, I just said "huh?" and quit watching.

But then I've got limited time for TV these days and there's very few shows that I put into my regular rotation.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the writing on Lost. Nobody I know in r/l agrees with me, but I LOVE it! Lost is one of the few shows I'd watch even without the eye-candy (what a nice assortment of flavors, though!) -- it's the only show I watch that doesn't have "Law & Order" in the title somewhere.

Yes, I'm jonzin' big-time! :)

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Get LOST

Love the show. Actually was semi-regular on The Fuselage for a while, then the season ended, it seemed all that was left were the arguments over whether Locke was right to punch Charlie after the baby-napping incident. If you get a chance, check it out – it's J.J. Abrams site... which, for me, ranks it as more official than the official site (maybe it'll perk up after season starts).
PattiTheWicked said:
...By the way, does anyone remember a short lived series called Earth 2? It's available on DVD now, and has Clancy Brown and Tim Curry in it -- the premise is actually very similar to Lost, only they've crashed on another planet instead of an island.
Loved that one, too. Actually got a chance to tool around up by the area they shot in (NM). Beautiful area... and not that far from a place that sold a mean green chile cheese burger.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Helplessly addicted. Halfway through Season Two now. Waiting to finish and get Season Three :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I don't understand the number sequence. But then I got bored with Lost about 6 episodes into the first season.

Beware of SPOILERS( for Seasons 1 and 2) which follow:

Well, if you watched everything, I still don't think you would understand the numbers. You must not have got to the part where we learned that Hurley won the lottery playing those numbers that he got from another patient in a mental hospital (the fellow just kept repeating them), and that terrible things began to happen to people around him after that. And you certainly didn't get to the part where they were written on the mysterious hatch that Locke found on the island. And you certainly didn't get to the guy inside the hatch entering those numbers into a computer every 108 minutes to avoid destroying the world.

End of SPOILERS

Glad to see so many "LOST" fans here. I just can't wait for the new season...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I just checked out the site that Ordinary Guy linked for us. It's freaking amazing...you can talk to the creators, writers, and stars of the show in their forum. Wow. Terry O'Quinn had just posted some answers to a fan. That is so darn cool. Thanks so much O.G.! You rock!

Still, we'll have fun in our little "LOST" thread here too...

DVGuru

Plays too many video games
Registered
Reaction score
The numbers were explained (to a certain extent) in the Lost Experience game that has been going on since the close of season two. If you're a fan of Lost and haven't been following the game then check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPCCcXarkc

The video is important to the story and may be necessary to fully understand the third season. Also check out this site for lots of details about the island, characters, and mythology of Lost:

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I adored the show during its first season, but admit I lost interest in season two. I missed a few eps, and only half-watched a few others. There just weren't enough things happening, and some eps seemed a little heavy on the back story.

I did enjoy the addition of the Tailies, though. Ana Lucia was a breath of a fresh air, and I've been a huge fan of Mr. Eko (I cannot spell his real name) ever since Oz.

I hope this season amps things up a bit more. A show needs to make me turn around from my computer and WATCH it, not just listen to it over my shoulder. Lost didn't do that last year.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Lost is a great show but season 2 did get into the backstory a bit much. I know we need to understand how each person came to be there but spread it out some more.

What keeps me watching is the questions they leave un-answered. Wat is up with the fake hatch on the "Others" side of the island? Why do they want Walt? What the heck is the machine and why was it built? What is up with the observation hatch? Why doesn't the tube that they send in their reports to go anywhere? Who the heck are the 'Others" and where did they come from? Who is the French woman? And are the creatures on the island really there or are they the figments of someones imagination brought to life? We all know Walt can do it.

What I am going to hate is that this season will be real short so they better answer some of the questions.

I think they are all dead and the island is some sort of purgatory. How you behave on the island determines where you will go when you die there.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never watched LOST, changed the channel about half an hour into the first episode of Earth 2 when it originally aired and never went back.

Give me the new Battlestar Galactica any day. :)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Tangent Inspired by Season 2 on DVD

Something about Rose's faith healer/healing locii got me thinking I had heard this kind of thing before.

It was a few years ago in a sushi bar in Puerto Rico. Two guys - one a doctor, martial artist, and somewhat of a natural healer, the other a physicist. They proceded to talk with a coworker and I about a power nexus that arises from different positions on the globe.

As an engineer with spiritual beliefs, I could understand the doctor more. The physicist just baffled me, speaking of harnessing power that would allow one to walk through a wall, or launch oneself into orbit. It was alternately scary, and hypnotizing, but the next day we went to a hot spring they recommended for absorbing some of this energy.

I always wanted to use it for a story, but I guess someone beat me to it. Without watching the rest of the Season 2, I have a suspiscion about some of what is going on on the island, the magnetic fields, and "healing zones."

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matt,

In esoteric circles, there is much talk of 'lay lines' and mysterious 'power centers.' Stonehenge in the UK is supposed to be one such place. I don't think that 'LOST' is the first place, nor should it be the last place, to use this idea.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm familiar with ley lines from mostly fictional sources, and I think those guys actually described them without using the word.

Felt lots of weird things in different places, but felt absolutely nothing at Stonehenge. Might have been the throngs of people, the 4 hours of slow traffic to get there, or the low fences that suggested you kept a reasonable distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.