• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Speculation: cause for "my" writer's block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario D.

Just some food for thought, on why some people might experience writer's block:

When I began writing my first novel, the words just flowed and flowed, without ever a break or pause in the process. As I wrote, I would often wonder why other people suffered from writer's block so much. The reason it was so easy was that, at the time, I had no idea where I wanted the story to go, no idea what was good or bad prose, and no preconceived notions on what was acceptible, good, bad, or outright barbarious.

I just wrote,... and let the story flow, often pausing to imagine upcoming scenes that I wanted, until finally the story was finished. Of course, I did this four times, and rewrote the same story over and over, as my skill increased, and as the plot was updated with new ideas.

Finally, I decided to rewrite the book from scratch, because it was publishing time. Until then, I was just writing for fun, when I was bored. This time, I thought the whole thing through, added a TON to the story, and developed this new thing called "expectations" of things that I wanted to happen in the story. The problem was that, in order to make these ideas work and happen the way I wanted, they would have to be "set up" with long, boring parts that were suddenly extremely difficult to write.

Since I had planned everything out, and wanted all these things to happen in the story, I needed fill in the holes of what was happening BETWEEN the interesting stuff. You can't ONLY have interesting scenes; something has to lead up to each thing... so, how do you fill in the holes without boring the reader to tears?

That's when writer's block first appeared, and I believe quite a few people might suffer from the same type of challenge. The challenge is: How do you take a completely boring scene, and make it interesting? How do you fill in the holes that separate each of the parts that you want to happen? Even more challenging; How do you fill in the holes, and make the filling interesting?

- Look at amateur film-makers... like High School kids, and college students. I know that a lot of them like to base entire movies around just one or two cool scene that they want to happen. They get an idea, then blend the entire story around it, making sure not to harm or lose the idea in any way.

And so, like those amateur movie-makers, a lot of writers have all these cool ideas that MUST happen in the story, and they find themselves getting stuck with dangerously boring scenes that wrap around those cool parts, or no ideas at all, because those expectations accidently took over the story. Technically, when a writer says, "I have no ideas," that doesn't mean they aren't able to think suddenly; it means they have no GOOD ideas, or USEFUL ideas. What this means is that everything is boring.

This is the part where everyone speculates on how to find a solution to this.

I'll start with my 2 cents, which I think is what got me through those parts:
1) Good, interesting characters who can make an interesting situation out of anything. If the characters aren't dangerously interesting, they aren't gonna do anyway to help carry the reader through the stretches of no plot.

Another idea I've for getting through this is:
2) Good, interesting characters. Again, if they can get the reader into the most ghastly of boring situations, you're all set. If I made characters of my next-door neighbors, I couldn't do that... but, if those same boring neighbors turned out to be two political opposites, both striving for world-domination, and discovered each other at that moment, you could have some instant-filler for all of your otherwise most boring situations throughout the rest of the book.

Take a scene like this, for example: you want your characters to meet at the DMV to get their car registration, and you want them to stand in line for half and hour while an unseen heist goes on the background. At the end of a long scene, in which you don't want to cover what's going on in the background for some thought-out reason, the bad-guys show themselves, and the plot continues. So, what are these characters going to talk about while they stand in line for half an hour?

Well, if you've got characters worthy of today's bored readers, you've got yourself a fun or interesting scene out of just standing in line at the DMV.

So, I think characters have a lot to do with writer's block, assuming that my definition of writer's block affects a significant percentage of people. I know that there are probably different kinds of writer's block, but this is what I'm used to. It lasted a LONG time (took a year to write the book), but the characters got me through it with their chemistry toward each other.

The only last thing I would say caused it for me was trying too hard to get each paragraph perfect. I'm the kind of writer who isn't happy with something until I've gone over it two or three times, so I could spend 10 minutes on a single set of sentences, trying to mix and shuffle them until something sounded right.

-- So, those are my ideas that might help you in your approach to getting rid of it... but I know there are more reasons, so feel free to post your suggestions. I know characters are super-important, but there's more to a story than just that, for example... :)

Holy cow. How did this get so long? I only intended to write a few paragraphs.

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I'd say you've covered quite a few reasons of writer's block, that's for sure. :D I remember I used to just let the words flow as well. Looking back on my older stories, I find myself cringing quite often, but I still envy the way I could just let myself go without worrying about any of it. AH, I miss those days, where I'd just sit at a computer and pump out a gazillion words a minute, without holding myself to any standards and just letting my imagination take me wherever I need to be.

If there were only some way I could combine letting my writing self run free while still not making a fool of myself, oh would that be the day.....

Last edited:

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
- Look at amateur film-makers... like High School kids, and college students. I know that a lot of them like to base entire movies around just one or two cool scene that they want to happen. They get an idea, then blend the entire story around it, making sure not to harm or lose the idea in any way.

Sounds like the second Jurrasic Park film. They wrote that one around some cool special effects. Of course, the movie didn't work all that well because of it.

However ...

I won't necessary regard this as writer's block, but maybe more of being stumped by problems in the story (years ago, I had a writer's block because of burn out. I was unable to write for two years. Could not even come up with an idea).

These are some things that have stumped me and made writing slow going:

Something isn't working right. Sometimes, when I start thinking about why it's not working, I can instantly come up with why (i.e., the scene doesn't have a goal; little is happening; etc.). Sometimes it's a lot harder and takes more time. In some cases, I've found that I needed to add a chapter to help it work better. In other chapter needs to be dropped.

Problems with story setup. This was one of the hardest things I had to learn to do--making sure that first 100-150 pages comes together to setup the rest of the story. It was very painful, and we ended up spending a lot time just trying to figure out how to do it.

Missing skills. This is something that really plagued me on my first project. I didn't have the plotting skills at that time to carry a novel, so I would run into problem areas and not only not know what was wrong, but have utterly no clue how to fix it.

How the story was developed: In the initial draft, we didn't do a lot of things that we should have done (the book was a real learning process for both of us; moreso than any of our other projects). For example, we should have focused on a lot on making sure we knew what the story was about; paid a lot of attention to how the story was set up; focused on one primary character (we had four primary characters); and took no shortcuts (ignored things that were hard to do). All of these causes problems that were very painful and took a lot of time and thought to get through.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
block

There shouldn't be any long, boring parts in a novel. If there are, you have bigger problem than writer's block.

Dario D.

Excuse me, but no novel is perfect from the moment of conception. Most, if not all, novels had numerous situations and events that needed to be thought out and developed before they were interesting enough to write down and call final.

The "long, boring parts" are just in your head. You have to develop them until you like them, and what you like is what goes down on paper. What we're saying is that sometimes writer's block is the process of re-imagining a given scene. It can take a long time, and be difficult to make 5-star-interesting, given certain scenarios.

Last edited:

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
OH god. I smell a fight brewing.

pling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jobsearch-online.blogspot.com
I was going to wait until I wrapped up my intro thread, but I'm afraid this thread is too delicious not to jump in. If you think you're stuck, look up the words "Writing the landscape of your mind".

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
There shouldn't be any long, boring parts in a novel. If there are, you have bigger problem than writer's block.
Come now. Every moment can't be action packed.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Speeding down the dimly lit highway, seventeen-year-old Cindy Winslow hummed along to the old Beatles song playing on the radio. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of her father, Randy, smiling,g broadly. “I see you,” he announced, chuckling.

Suddenly, Randy let out a blood curdling scream. An instant later, everything faded to black.

If this not interesting, and attention grabbing enough for you, then you are blind.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Dario D. said:
Excuse me, but no novel is perfect from the moment of conception. Most, if not all, novels had numerous situations and events that needed to be thought out and developed before they were interesting enough to write down and call final.

The "long, boring parts" are just in your head. You have to develop them until you like them, and what you like is what goes down on paper. What we're saying is that sometimes writer's block is the process of re-imagining a given scene. It can take a long time, and be difficult to make 5-star-interesting, given certain scenarios.

If it works that way for you, fine. It doesn't for me, or for darned near any other actual selling novelist I know. I've sold quite a few novels, and I've never had a long boring part in a novel, or in my head.

Writrer's block doesn't even exist, except in very rare, clinical cases. The first case of writer's block happened to Samuel Coleridge in roughly 1806, and that was a clinical case. He was literally incapable of writing. What is now laughingly called "writer's block" didn't come along in any numbers at all until the late 1800s when several literary magazines wrote articles about Coleridge, and suddenly many writers claimed to suffer from "writer's block."

Before the late 1800s, and really before teh internet, the writer was thought to be in charge of the writing. The writer was the master, the writing the slave.

"Writer's block," which is really no more than teh foolish idea of making writing teh master and teh writer teh slave, didn't become truly common until the advent of the internet. It was suddenly legitimized, and writers were allowed to claim a nonsensical condition that really doesn't even exist unless the writer wants it to exist. There are only two causes for the hilariously funny and completely mythical condition called "writer's block." 1. Not having a clue what you're doing. 2. Being too lazy to sit down and punch the keys day in and day out.

Re-imaging, my left hind foot. It's laziness, pure and simple. You re-image when you edit, rewrite, and revise, and it takes no more hard work, no more time, than any other writing, and it's never, ever done by calling on "writer's block" as an excuse. It's done by sitting your ass in a chair and actually writing.

Real writer's block is a clinical condition. Everything else is laziness that masquerades as a condition.

If you want to write, you sit your ass down and write. If you don't want to write, you start yelling "writer's block," and look for reasons why you have it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Action

writerdog said:
Come now. Every moment can't be action packed.

Depends what you mean by action. New writers often make the mistake of thinking "action" consists of blowing things up, shooting people, or punching people. Nonsense. Action is whenever something interesting is happen, even if it's character development. If it keeps the reader reading, then it's action, and every last sentence in a novel had better do this.

There's only one unbreakable commandment in writing: "Thall Shalt Not Bore the Reader."

Good writing does not have fill, does not have padding, does not have boring parts. If it does, you're going to be in for an unbelievably brutal editing experience when an agent or editor takes on your novel, if one ever does.

The moment agents or editors get bored, they usually stop reading. So do most readers.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I get the point. That's why I am also working on fanfiction.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Drama--keep it on the page.

You don't have to have the old Batman TV series 'clues' ZOWIE! SMASH! BOFF! everytime action goes on, (though I adored Vincent Prince as Egghead and Eartha Kitt was the BEST Catwoman, though Julie Newmar filled out the suit better but I digress :} )

Okay, hokey show, but you've a problem--a baddie doing his thing, B&R find clues and or have a dustup, more searching for clues and some family issues on the non-costumed part of the duo with Alfred, etc, then the finale.

What's dramatic in finding clues? I liked the snazzy bat'puter, I would love to have a batpole but don't have a library to slide down from and though the batmobile always went the same route in and out, I would love to have a car like that! (Yeah, it's a gas-guzzler and has no emission control but it does have lots of nifty buttons.)

So interesting things still happen in the 'quiet' scenes.

Benwilde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.purevolume.com
You got writers block? Get your heart broken.

If you don't believe in what you're writing then it won't work. Keep yourself guessing about what can happen, writing the story should be as enjoyable as reading it. The reason people write is to escape the nine to five, so don't make it a chore, don't make excuses to not write.

If that isn't productive then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.