Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
(I originally posted this a post in HOL but it applies to all my friends (and enemies :D) in AW

In less than 10 days the Jewish New Year is going to begin - Rosh HaShanah a two day holiday.
This is followed 10 days later by Yom Kippur (the holiest day of the year and a fast day.)

Jewish tradition has it that on Rosh HaShanah the world was created. There is also the belief that it is a time when the whole world stands before the throne of God in answer for the deeds of the past year.

The purpose of these holidays is for introspection and repentence. One of the basic laws of repentence in Judaism, the process of "Teshuvah" is divided into two main parts. Sins between man and man and sins between man and God.

The law further states that one cannot come and request forgiveness from God on Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur before that person requests forgiveness and repents for any bad deeds done to his fellow man.

Therefore, in all seriousness, as the days of Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur approach, I am sorry for any unkind words I may have said to anyone here, or for any remarks that may have been construed and hurt anyone here. If I have hurt anyone here, I truly ask for your forgiveness and hope never to do so again. I want you all to know you are a great bunch of people and proud to call you my friends.

At the festive Rosh HaShanah meals we dip our bread (Chalah) in Honey to remind us of the sweet New Year that awaits us, as we are sure that all our sins will be forgiven and our year will be one of great accomplishments.

And I am going to take this time to wish you all and your families and your loved ones as we wish each other in Synagogue

May You have a wonderful year, filled with the sweetness of honey, filled with the blessings of health, prosperity and peace. May you see your dreams in writing and in life all come true during this coming year. May you, your families and all the rest of the world be inscribed in the book of Life and may all the wishes of your heart be answered for the good..

And may at the end of Yom Kippur when night falls, and the rams horn is blown that one long time - mark a new period for all of us...of dreams fulfilled, of love given and of happiness and wonder in all that we do.

Shana Tova Tichatev Ve'Techatem LeAlter Chaim Tovim U'LeShalom
Have a Wonderful New Year May your names be written and inscribed in the book of life For a Year of Good Life and a year of peace.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Teddy, for such a wonderful post! as my religion would say, "Peace be with you."

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Lachiam! Or however it's spelled!
Baruk khazad! Khazad ai meniu!

Apologies to you too, Teddy -- I know I've certainly offended and done harm in the last year.

Please send a good word for me to the Big Guy, in case I'm wrong about this Jesus dude. Thanks.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
no one is wrong about their own God. They are just wrong about their views on other's Gods.

Mikey 1:1

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
dont matter if you believe or not believe Clary...
religious or agnostic....
all that matters is the end...is what good we try and leave behind...
the rest as they say is all interpertation...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
TeddyG said:
Therefore, in all seriousness, as the days of Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur approach, I am sorry for any unkind words I may have said to anyone here, or for any remarks that may have been construed and hurt anyone here. If I have hurt anyone here, I truly ask for your forgiveness and hope never to do so again.

Does this mean you're never going to call me a rat again?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
dont matter if you believe or not believe Clary...
religious or agnostic....
all that matters is the end...is what good we try and leave behind...
the rest as they say is all interpertation...
Bravo! Well said Teddy.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peace be with you, Teddy. Christians are branches from the tree of Judaism. We all worship the same God.

Hope your new year is everything you want it to be.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG,

That was beautiful!

Good time to clear out the hairballs.

May you find the forgiveness you are asking for and the peace in your heart that will come from it and your time in the holidays. :D

Robert Toy

Teddy, even all the cats forgive you and promise not to harass you…until next year. At least this one does...:)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A very nice post, Teddy.

I think it's a nice idea to make apologies and to extend best wishes to others.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
A very nice post, Teddy.

I think it's a nice idea to make apologies and to extend best wishes to others.
As long as it doesn't involve circumcisions, I'm okay with it.

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
Thank you for that Teddy. Would it be appropriate if I enjoyed a nice cup of cammomile with honey for the holiday - cammomile as a symbol of calm ... In fact, I am hosting a tea party the second day of the holiday and I will mention that to all.

Actually I have been thinking a lot about Rosh HaShanah lately.

I dont know how many of you are familiar with the Red Hat Society -- a society of women world wide who are over 50 and enjoy getting together for sisterhood and friendship. There are probably close to 100,000 chapters world wide. Mine is #60,860. Chapters run anywhere from 20 women up. Mine has over 65 ranging in age from 50 to 85. We enjoy all kinds of activities from dinners to book groups, to sightseeing trips, to cooking classes ... almost anything. It has been a wonderful thing for me to actually find female friends after the death of my husband. The person who starts the chapter is called the Queen Mother. I am the Queen Mother of a chapter called Angels in Red Hats. We are also community service oriented.

So what does this have to do with Rosh HaShanah? At the moment, everything. Once a year, we have Long Island Red Hat day. 4 - 500 women from all over the island get together in their red hats, purple clothes and spend the day at Jones Beach having a blast. We make new friends, take pictures of each other's hats, discuss upcoming events, trade ideas -- in short it is a wonderful day.

However it is "traditionally" the last Sunday in September. I say "traditionally" because we have only had two of them. This will be our third. The last Sunday in September this year is the second day of Rosh HaShanah and many women will not be there.

I am not Jewish, however many of the women in my group are. I feel it is unfair to have this day anyway and not move it back a week or so to include everyone. It strikes me as cruel on the part of the organizers. Yet, they are stubborn and feel that "tradition" should be observed.

Yes - it should - the tradition of Rosh HaShanah which goes back a lot farther than our two years at the beach. Many ladies are very hurt over this decision. I am one of them. Personally I am praying for rain.

If we cannot adjust our schedules to allow everyone to share a day of sisterhood and friendship together, how do we expect to reach peace on this fragile earth of ours? If I was in charge, it would have been changed in a minute - as a gesture of solidarity and respect for those whose religious rituals are more important than this group.

I do not think people fully understand the solemnity of the Jewish faith and its religious observances. My best friend is Jewish and I have sat at many a Seder table and participated with her family. As the daughter of a retired member of the UN diplomatic corps, I have celebrated many holidays with people of many faiths.

If this event fell on Easter, I would have gone to church, then put on my best hat and gone to the beach. However, the Jewish faith isnt like that. Does anyone remember the crap on The Apprentice because two Jewish members of one team chose religious services over a challenge? Why was one even scheduled for that day? How insensitive is it that we cannot wait a day or two before we return to regularly scheduled activities?

I wish you a happy holiday Teddy. And I sincerely pray for a world where people at least try to understand and accommodate each other. I will be at the beach because I have to, but I am still going to pray for rain and a postponement.

Persi

Reaction score
persiphone_hellecat said:
500 women from all over the island get together in their red hats, purple clothes and spend the day at Jones Beach having a blast. We make new friends, take pictures of each other's hats

Red-Hats.jpg

What a shame that all the Jewish woman will have to miss that.

;)

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Лешана Това Тикатеву

[SIZE=-1] I am sending you a virtual basket of fruit to have after kiddush. If you need a
woman to come light your candles just let me know.
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Shana Tova Umetukah[/SIZE]
Sam

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Man I feel bad hijacking this thread to post a hearty LOL at the Red Hat Society. I ridicule my mother about needing to join a bunch of old ladies pretending to be hot to trot in pimp colors.

Reaction score
My ladies are HOT ... I have a nurse who is a member of my group who could handle both of you Billy and Clary. I guarantee you she would have both of you requiring defibs ... We are NOT all ancient, Billy. And quite often, I go out in a red Yankee hat. And Clary, there is nothing wrong with your mom finding some friends who share similar interests. I mean, she has to stop taking care of YOU sometime, doesnt she? Maybe she can turn your basement into a nice room for her to have friends over. (winks)

Yes, it is a shame that so many will miss it because of the Jewish holidays. There is no difference between RHS and any mens org. Check my pic on profile - picture a red hat ...

Reaction score
I read more about the red hat society and was happy to learn that they know they look ridiculous and that is the whole point of wearing those outfits.

And I guess anything that can get wives out of the house every once in awhile is a good thing for men.

Although, madhatters might be single.

I forgot.

Anyway, god bless the Red Hat Ladies!

Reaction score
First of all, I didnt hijack the thread ... I am seriously upset that we cannot move our event to bypass the holidays... I consider that unfair to Jewish women.

Secondly, only SOME of them choose to look ridiculous. The rest of us enjoy dressing up and going out. Read the entire poem its based on. Then you will understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.