PDA

View Full Version : Musical guilty pleasures

Bubastes
09-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Tagging on to the "worst song lyrics" thread:

Are there any bands or songs you like but are embarrassed to admit it(except here)?

*placing bag over my head*

I listened to Night Ranger last night. And Styx. Eek.

Side note: does anyone think that Evanescence sounds like a cross between Linkin Park and Celine Dion?

aadams73
09-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh gawd, this is awfully embarrassing, but I really like Justin Timberlake's new album. It's really fresh and different to all the bubblegum pop and hip-hop right now. Plus, when did he get hot??

I really hate myself for this :)

TrainofThought
09-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Side note: does anyone think that Evanescence sounds like a cross between Linkin Park and Celine Dion? NO WAY. I love Evanescence and think she has a great voice. Just like I always think Christine Aguilera is one of the best young female singers.

I have to admit I kinda like Kelly Clarkston’s songs, but I don't own any CDs.

Nakhlasmoke
09-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I looked at my current play list. The most embarrasing thing on it - probably songs sung by Japanese VAs that are anime tie-ins.

But I don't care.

Bubastes
09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
NO WAY. I love Evanescence and think she has a great voice. Just like I always think Christine Aguilera is one of the best young female singers.

I have to admit I kinda like Kelly Clarkston’s songs, but I don't own any CDs.

I have to agree with you on this! I like the Evanescence singer, Christina, and Kelly too -- all three of them have wonderful full, gutsy voices. IMO, I think the Evanescence singer should just go solo (maybe that's my beef with the band)....

DamaNegra
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I admit I adore t.A.T.u. and I've been listening to their songs nonstop for 4 days. I also admit I love Shakira's new song, Hips Don't Lie and I spent all afternoon yesterday looking for it.:e2paperba

Shadow_Ferret
09-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Excuse me, but Styx's The Grand Illusion is a very good album.

Nakhlasmoke
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Ooh, tatu. I forgot about them. I don't have the album anymore but they were cool in the cheesiest possible way. And I say this as a Smiths fan.

Bmwhtly
09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Side note: does anyone think that Evanescence sounds like a cross between Linkin Park and Celine Dion?
No, no I don't.
Linkin Park I can see (If I squint), but Celine Dion?
Closer to The singer from Moloko (if you can remember that far back)

Nakhlasmoke
09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Closer to The singer from Moloko (if you can remember that far back)

Argh, yes! I have huge love for Moloko.personally, I don't think the voices are at all similar, but now you've made me want to stomp around my house to the happy refrain of "Dirty monkey! Cheeky monkey! He was a dirty monkey!"

Bmwhtly
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Argh, yes! I have huge love for Moloko.personally, I don't think the voices are at all similar, but now you've made me want to stomp around my house to the happy refrain of "Dirty monkey! Cheeky monkey! He was a dirty monkey!"The only Moloko song that I remember (or possibly ever heard) is "the Time is Now", and the voices sound similar in so far as they are both high and kind of breathy.
Anyway, it's a damn site closer to moloko than to celine dion!

Soccer Mom
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
ABBA. I simply love ABBA. *ducks in embarassment*

Shadow_Ferret
09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, its about time someone older posted. I'm not even sure who some of those bands are. I always thought tatu was the little guy who said, "da plane, da plane boss!"

aadams73
09-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, its about time someone older posted.

There's nothing wrong with older music, it's the new stuff that bites the bag.

sassandgroove
09-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh gawd, this is awfully embarrassing, but I really like Justin Timberlake's new album. It's really fresh and different to all the bubblegum pop and hip-hop right now. Plus, when did he get hot??

I really hate myself for this :) Me too.

Shadow_Ferret
09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
There's nothing wrong with older music, it's the new stuff that bites the bag.

I realize that. I was commenting that it seems the posters so far are younger and I wasn't going to post my guilty pleasures until some older posters did so I didn't stand out like a grizzled old thumb.

PeeDee
09-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Well, we already know about my obsession with Cascada, which I had for days on end. Since I'm generally into rock music, metal, that was a little strange.

I, er, am very fond of Kelly Clarkson's second CD, Breakaway, and I like Evanescence and Flyleaf.

Beyond that, the closest I come to having an embarassing band to listen to is, I'm a very big Twisted Sister fan. That's all I got, 'm afraid.

(there you go, Shadow Ferret. Does that count as "old grizzled poster sharing his embarassing secrets, and now he is no longer a man?")

sassandgroove
09-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm not embarrassed by the older stuff I like. I just don't want to like Justin, but dammit! When did he grow up?
ETA: Peedee I like Kelly Clarkson's second CD, Breakaway, too. Dammit!

Lyra Jean
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Um, I like the BeeGees. Do I need counseling?

Soccer Mom
09-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I love the BeeGees. *sighs* I had an Andy Gibb's poster on my wall many moons ago.

PattiTheWicked
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
I know the lyrics to every song on the Beastie Boys' "License to Ill" cd. Is it sad to see a 37-year-old woman rapping along in the car to "Paul Revere"?

Carrie in PA
09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
I love the Monkees. And the BeeGees. The bulk of my music collection is one hit wonders from the 80s.

Current music? I listen to country. There, I said it.

Bubastes
09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
I know the lyrics to every song on the Beastie Boys' "License to Ill" cd. Is it sad to see a 37-year-old woman rapping along in the car to "Paul Revere"?

LOL! Well, it's probably just as sad as seeing a 36-year-old woman air drumming to "(You Can Still) Rock in America."

Shadow_Ferret
09-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I guess it depends on what era BeeGees. The 60s BeeGees are acceptable. Disco BeeGees are not. (Although I do have an odd fondness for "Staying Alive" and in fact, that whole "Disco Fever" soundtrack.)

There! I said it. I like some old disco. But I won't dance to it, dammit!

And I have a Best of Bread lying around on vinyl somewhere.

And America's Greatest Hits on vinyl, too.

And I think Cat Stevens was a genius. Just bought the just released DVD Majicat.

And of more modern stuff, I do happen to like Linkin Park.

There. Now I will go cleanse myself by listening to some Rob Zombie at full volume.

sassandgroove
09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I am not embarrassed about my faves....I love Def Leppard and Sammy Hagar. I love 80' rock. I carried my torch through highschool (i graduated 94) I didn't like Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

Ferret, I visited your space, and I think you have great taste in music. :)

TrainofThought
09-14-2006, 08:35 PM
ABBA. I simply love ABBA. *ducks in embarassment*
I like ABBA, but I'm not embarrassed about that. I will admit the 80s music is somewhat embarrassing, Cyndi Lauper, Bananarama, the Bangles, The Police, REM (earlier music), INXS, U2 (earlier music).

*starts laughing* KC and the Sunshine Band, David Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, Van Morrison (I think he is 70s).

oswann
09-14-2006, 08:42 PM
My Sharona! I play it at about 130dB once every five years or so. It's in my car at the moment, in fact I arrived at the car park of a big relatively snooty company this morning to give a talk with The Knack pumping. The woman giving me my badge at the gate gave a wry little smile, I half expected her to chime in with the chorus.

Os.

blacbird
09-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Early 60s acapella doowop.

caw.

MidnightMuse
09-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Okay, okay, I admit it - I listen to current music.

AND,

I'm one of The Who's biggest fans. And if you look around, you'd find some AC/DC and Aerosmith in and among my Linkin Park, Rob Zombie and NIN CDs.

Joe Unidos
09-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Currently, I find myself searching for and playing The Outfield's "Your Love" on my iTunes all the fvcking time. I am ashamed.

Carrie in PA
09-14-2006, 09:30 PM
We bought Sirius satellite radio specifically for Hair Nation. Is that bad? :ROFL:

On a related note, (get it? Note? *ducks incoming tomatoes*) Cinderella's Nobody's Fool is currently playing (blaring?) from my speakers. Next up? Kiss's Heaven's on Fire, followed by Joan Jett's Do Ya Wanna Touch Me There.

If only I could still fit into the jeans I was wearing when these songs were new...

sassandgroove
09-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Ohhh, I LOVE CINDERELLA!!!

sassandgroove
09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Cinderalla, Ratt, Poison, Bon Jovi, Skid Row (w. S. Bach), Motley Crue (c. 1988), Aerosmith, INXS, U2. and as I mentioned b/f, the best is Def Leppard and Sammy Hager(Van Halen). Man, those were the days.

Bubastes
09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
I saw Def Leppard in concert a few years ago. Still awesome. Yes, those were the days! I loved it all, the hair bands, the cheesy rock bands, the new wave stuff, one-hit wonders, everything.

sassandgroove
09-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I couldn't get to Atlanta to see Def Leppard in July, then when they finally schedule a date here in B'ham, I'm gonna be out of town! :( Next year, Maybe.

ghost
09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
heh, I listened to Two Live Crew when I was a kid, but I think that was mostly for the shock value. *snort*

Carrie in PA
09-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Cinderalla, Ratt, Poison, Bon Jovi, Skid Row (w. S. Bach), Motley Crue (c. 1988), Aerosmith, INXS, U2. and as I mentioned b/f, the best is Def Leppard and Sammy Hager(Van Halen). Man, those were the days.

:D Yes!!! Love love love them all!!!!!!

underthecity
09-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Nobody laugh at this 35 year old guy, but. . .

I like the Pussycat Doll's Buttons. One reason I like it is that it's so vastly different than the other standard pop fare.

And to top it off, I like the mix with Snoop Dog's rap lyrics even better.

But this isn't so unusual for me. In the 80s, I liked the current pop hits, but I LOVED the 12 inch remixes of those songs. I actually built a nice collection and still listen to them today.

allen

sassandgroove
09-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Ohhh, I liked the Pussycat Doll's, "Dontcha." or what ever it is called. So Sassy!

And Carrie....:Thumbs:

KimJo
09-15-2006, 01:20 AM
80s hair bands were awesome :) Embarrassing-looking, at times, but awesome.

My 11-year-old was watching one of the music video channels this morning and I said that the lead singer of the group that was on sounded like Axl Rose from Guns 'n' Roses. She said, "Who from what?" Now I feel old...

allion
09-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Ooh, the Bee Gees!! I had the poster (you know, the one where the three are clad in white and Barry has the hairy chest in the middle). I still sing Nights on Broadway in falsetto if prompted.

I also love Culture Club and Flock of Seagulls.

I will deny I said any of this.

Karen

maestrowork
09-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Hall & Oates in college. I know, they're cheesy, but so catchy! "Oh here she comes, watch out boys she'll chew you up... oh here she comes. She's a maneater..."

poetinahat
09-15-2006, 03:52 AM
"Mercy sakes alive, we got us a convoy."

aadams73
09-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I like the Pussycat Doll's Buttons. One reason I like it is that it's so vastly different than the other standard pop fare.

Oh man, me too :( (kill me, please)

Old guilty pleasures...hmm...Abba, Bucks Fizz(anyone remember them?) Boney M.

80's: Wham, Duran Duran, Poison, Def Leppard.

Beyond that: Ya know, there's a lot I love(in fact most of what I listen to is pre 1980s but I'm not guilty about it) I especially love Derek and the Dominos "Layla and other assorted love songs", love Neil Young, mostly love Hendrix.

Oh wait, I've got it, a definite guilty pleasure: Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka.

(crawling back under my rock with my JT poster now)

Aubrey
09-15-2006, 03:37 PM
I'll listen to radio Disney when I'm upstairs cleaning out the rabbit cage or taking a shower. Now if that isn't bad music nothing is. Most of those people can't even hit a note. Still, I'll find myself singing along to Because You Live by Jesse McCartney and We're All in This Together, which is from some b-grade TV movie called High School Musical. Of course mostly I sing with that one to down the actual singers out because they're really bad.

Soeaking of bad singing, I love anime music. It seems in Japan that if you're a VA, even if you haven't a lick of singing talent, they'll get you to sing something. They'll also have you singing if you aren't a VA and don't know how to stay on key. Not that I'm saying every Japanese singer is bad, because plenty aren't. But sadly plenty are. And I listen anyway!

aadams73
09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
I love musicals. I sang along with Kiss Me Kate yesterday while I did the ironing. Can anyone top that? :D

Stew21
09-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Currently, I find myself searching for and playing The Outfield's "Your Love" on my iTunes all the fvcking time. I am ashamed.

OMG, I'm not alone. I'm the only person I know that likes The Outfield...still. (i saw them in concert in 87 with Starship! State Fair. Bad date.):Shrug:

I do like so much music though, i listen to everything.
I even dance in my living room with my kids to Bobby Darin and Frank Sinatra and Dean MArtin songs...ugh...I'm too young for that! :)

poetinahat
09-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I even dance in my living room with my kids to Bobby Darin and Frank Sinatra and Dean MArtin songs...ugh...I'm too young for that! :)
You are NEVER too young to be that cool. Hallelujah.

I have eight Yello albums. "Oh Yeah" must be on about four of them. They sure know their meal ticket.

aadams73
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Me too, Trish. My pets do the RC Victor dog while I dance around and sing. And I make up silly lyrics too. Well, okay, they're usually obscene.

Freckles
09-16-2006, 02:53 AM
David Cassidy...is that horribly bad?? *runs fast*

allion
09-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Thompson Twins. Saw them twice in concert. Grew a tail like Alannah had.
Wham. Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

And I have Donny Osmond's first album somewhere around here. My friend used to cry when he sang "Puppy Love." We were 6 at the time.

I have to stop this.

Karen

Serenity
09-16-2006, 05:15 AM
I love musicals. I sang along with Kiss Me Kate yesterday while I did the ironing. Can anyone top that? :D

Sunday in the Park With George- Mandy Patinkin broadway cast. :D

I also have Sweeny Todd with Angela Landsbury.

AceTachyon
09-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Sunday in the Park With George- Mandy Patinkin broadway cast. :D

I also have Sweeny Todd with Angela Landsbury.
Every so often, I'll play the Les Miz symphonic recording and sing every line of the first disc.

And act out the parts.

AceTachyon
09-16-2006, 08:00 AM
As for music: Debbie Gibson, anything 80s, Weird Al, and the Kingston Trio.

Nakhlasmoke
09-16-2006, 09:23 AM
I was just listening to Weird Al yesterday... Oh dear

allion
09-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Every so often, I'll play the Les Miz symphonic recording and sing every line of the first disc.

And act out the parts.

Is there a support group for this? "One day more!!!"

Karen

Serenity
09-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Is there a support group for this? "One day more!!!"

Karen

I've seen Les Mis... three times. I have the Broadway cast recording, the English cast recording and the complete symphonic version... with lyrics.

underthecity
09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
As for music: Debbie Gibson, anything 80s, Weird Al . . .

I'm still a Weird Al fan. In the '80s, I had all his albums.

Yes, albums.

I thought he started losing his touch in the '90s, but Poodlehat made it into my CD cabinet.

allen

Aubrey
09-17-2006, 04:03 AM
The broadway albums mentioned at least have songs that can be sung in a general audience. Me, I find myself blasting out (and often singing along to) the Avenue Q soundtrack, which has an advisery for a reason. It's so fun though! I find it hard to make myself not burst out singing it in public.

PeeDee
09-17-2006, 04:12 AM
I, and my family, are all very big and very nerdy Weird Al fans. WE've been to a number of concerts (enough of them back-to-back that we were on a first name basis with the band for a while.)

David Cassidy...is that horribly bad?? *runs fast*

Yes it is. Sorry. You'll have to go.

:D