Writing credentials

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I am an unpublished fiction writer. However, for my day job, I'm the Lifestyles Editor at a small newspaper, so I've had many, many articles published in the newspaper. When querying an agent who does not want sample chapters, will this be a good credential? Or will it not count at all, since it's not the same type of writing? I've won awards for my newspaper writing, specifically for my feature stories, and I've won two awards for my novella. Which of those will carry more weight?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
credentials

Southern_girl29 said:
I am an unpublished fiction writer. However, for my day job, I'm the Lifestyles Editor at a small newspaper, so I've had many, many articles published in the newspaper. When querying an agent who does not want sample chapters, will this be a good credential? Or will it not count at all, since it's not the same type of writing? I've won awards for my newspaper writing, specifically for my feature stories, and I've won two awards for my novella. Which of those will carry more weight?

Your credentials may not be as good as some, but they're a heck of a lot better than a great many have.

Anything that tells an agent or editor that you can write well, that you understand how to use grammar, punctuation, and language is a good thing.

And some of our best and most famous writers have emerged from the field of journalism. In many ways, journalism school taught me more about good writing than did English lit.

Positives always carry weight. Use your journalism credits, and your novella awards.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Southern_girl29 said:
I am an unpublished fiction writer. However, for my day job, I'm the Lifestyles Editor at a small newspaper, so I've had many, many articles published in the newspaper. When querying an agent who does not want sample chapters, will this be a good credential? Or will it not count at all, since it's not the same type of writing?
I agree with James--anything that will show an agent or editor that you can write professionally (not to mention, meet deadlines) is a good thing to mention.
I've won awards for my newspaper writing, specifically for my feature stories, and I've won two awards for my novella. Which of those will carry more weight?
You can say you're an "award-winning journalist," with or without elaboration. As for the novella awards--are they national-level awards that an agent or editor would be likely to recognize? If not, or if they're something like the Writer's Digest awards, they probably won't carry any weight. I wouldn't mention them.

- Victoria

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
If not, or if they're something like the Writer's Digest awards, they probably won't carry any weight. I wouldn't mention them.

- Victoria

Is this right? I've talk to a few writers who got their start with the Writer's Digest awards. I don't know how much weight they carry, but I think these are certainly worth mentioning. I know I'd react well to a WD contest winner.