Presidio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about Presidio (San Francisco Army base) when it was still running as a base? It's now a national park, I believe.
My father was in Army training before Viet Nam and I could swear it was San Francisco, my research shows Presidio as the base in SF at that time.
Any minor details of this place of which I should be aware to make it authentic?
And if someone knows enough about it, is this where schooling would have been done for radio operators, etc?

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I worked as a NPS Ranger at the Presidio of San Farncisco and would be happy to answer questions.

You can email or PM me.

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
This might be an interesting/odd story for you. I'm working at Al Asad AB in Iraq. We have several unit living areas (mancamps) on the base occupied by Marines and Soldiers from all over the world. Whenever one unit goes back home and is replaced by another unit the new unit renames the mancamp, usually after their home area or mascot or something. The new units get very, very uptight over using the new/correct name of their area.

There are only two areas that have not been renamed in the 3 years that the base has been occupied. One of them is an Army mancamp called Presidio. It's the camp that the base commanders always live in.

I doubt that this is helpful to you in any way, but I find it interesting.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Presidio is a Spanish word for "walled garrison"/fort, so there were many Presidios around California [Presidio of San Francisco, Presidio of Monterey, etc.]

The US Army inherited the name from the Spaniards.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
There still is an Army base called the Presidio, in Monterey. It was opened in 1941 and the Defense Language Institute is located there.
If this is the place you had in mind, I can email my daughter for you. She was trained there.

http://www.monterey.army.mil/index.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.