Mystery Writers in the Tennessee/Kentucky area

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Southeastern Mystery Writers of America is having a conference September 15 & 16 in the Nashville area.

This is the link to their website:
http://www.killernashville.com/Content2006/aboutkn2006.htm

There are quite a few interesting discussions to be presented. Click on the Conference Panels, Author Receptions, & Book Signings for additional information.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that looks cool . . . why the heck is it all the way over there?! Has NO one heard of Seattle? *sigh*

Are you going?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man. I'd love to go, but I can't. No one to take my kiddos to their soccer games and such.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
The Southeastern Mystery Writers of America is having a conference September 15 & 16 in the Nashville area.

This is the link to their website:
http://www.killernashville.com/Content2006/aboutkn2006.htm

There are quite a few interesting discussions to be presented. Click on the Conference Panels, Author Receptions, & Book Signings for additional information.

Is this a regular event? It looks like we'll be moving to Nashville sometime in the relatively near future. That is, sometime between next june, and by june of 2009 at the very latest.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Is this a regular event? It looks like we'll be moving to Nashville sometime in the relatively near future. That is, sometime between next june, and by june of 2009 at the very latest.
I think this is their first event; at least of this magnitude. This is the first time I've heard of it. I take it that it will be a continuing event.

And for those interested, the Southern Festival of Books will be held in Memphis this year (the event alternates now between Nashville and Memphis . . . well, unless we can get them to stop that and keep it in Nashville where it's always been).

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Rats. If I'd had even a month of notice I could have finagled it, but two days isn't quite enough.

Looks like it'll be lots of fun, though.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
I think this is their first event; at least of this magnitude. This is the first time I've heard of it. I take it that it will be a continuing event.

And for those interested, the Southern Festival of Books will be held in Memphis this year (the event alternates now between Nashville and Memphis . . . well, unless we can get them to stop that and keep it in Nashville where it's always been).

I think I'm going to like living in Tennessee.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
I think I'm going to like living in Tennessee.
We also have a great public library as well as a spiffy new symphony hall -- which should be one of the finest in the country.

Just don't give any of the young ladies on Dickerson Road a lift.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Lift

alleycat said:
W
Just don't give any of the young ladies on Dickerson Road a lift.

Okay, I gotta ask. Not that my wife would let me give any young ladies a lift.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Okay, I gotta ask. Not that my wife would let me give any young ladies a lift.
A certain section of Dickerson Road, as well as Murfreesboro Road, is used by hookers. The police regularly run sting operations there. It's not as bad now as it once was however.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to attend this, but I've already got plans for Saturday. If I didn't, I would probably be checking it out.

Tennessee is a GREAT place to live. The University of the South at Sewanee has a great writer's conference. I've never actually been able to attend (haven't been able to afford it), but I do a story about it every year. Hopefully, one of these days, I'll be able to swing it.

Also, a community college close to where I live has a small festival of books every few years. It's pretty good, too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Gals

alleycat said:
A certain section of Dickerson Road, as well as Murfreesboro Road, is used by hookers. The police regularly run sting operations there. It's not as bad now as it once was however.

Ah, I see. Good thing to know.

I'm just hoping to see Reba somewhere in Nashville. My wife says I'm free to runaway with Reba, just as soon as she knocks on my door saying she wants me.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
I'm just hoping to see Reba somewhere in Nashville. My wife says I'm free to runaway with Reba, just as soon as she knocks on my door saying she wants me.
I'm not sure she lives her anymore. She used to have quite a spread a little north of here (I would have gladly lived in her horse barn). Still, I'm sure she's in town from time to time.

My greatest claim to fame was living next door to Tim McGraw's manager for a while (I once had all the band's instruments stacked up in my living room when the UPS guy needed to drop them off). That, and knowing Keith Urban before he hit the big time.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
I'm not sure she lives her anymore. She used to have quite a spread a little north of here (I would have gladly lived in her horse barn). Still, I'm sure she's in town from time to time.

My greatest claim to fame was living next door to Tim McGraw's manager for a while (I once had all the band's instruments stacked up in my living room when the UPS guy needed to drop them off). That, and knowing Keith Urban before he hit the big time.

Yes, I do know Reba still does some recording in Nashville, and is in the city fairly often, but for now, at least, isn't living there.

In all honesty, there are also some restaurants I've heard about in Nashville that I'm dying to eat my way through.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
alleycat said:

My greatest claim to fame was seeing Don Rickles at a Howard Johnson's on the New Jersey turnpike. He was sitting on the hood of a limo eating a hot dog.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
In all honesty, there are also some restaurants I've heard about in Nashville that I'm dying to eat my way through.
If I recall correctly, Reba likes to eat at Valentino's on West End for lunch.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nashville

alleycat said:
If I recall correctly, Reba likes to eat at Valentino's on West End for lunch.

Good to know. We're going to take a trip to Nashville in a couple of months. I'll put Valentino's on our must visit list.