Writer, Illustrator, and...a 3rd party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
I'm completely new to the world of comics and graphic novels. I recently agreed to write a short 8 page comic for some associates of mine, based on a fantasy world they built (and house online as an illustrated fiction site).

It's being illustrated now, and the plan is to try to sell it to something called "Heavy Metal," which I assume publishes short comics in a periodic volume.

My assumption is that comic sales, even for very short works, are handled by the writer and illustrator as an entity. But in this case, there's the 3rd party...being the company that created the fantasy world in which this is set. The owners of the company neither wrote nor illustrated the piece, but obviously they have some stake in it.

So, forgive my naivety, but how should this kind of thing be handled?

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
It depends.

There is no hard and fast rule here. At least that I have found.

Whatever you do, get it all down in writing. Now there are some people who will tell you that you need to do this just to cover your tush and make sure you get paid your share, but mostly from the way this sounds, it will allow everythinig to be set out and all parties involved know what is going to happen and be expected of them.

I have written as co-creator for someone else. It was basically their idea, but I said that if I was coming in, I was gonna do more than write stories, I would expand the "universe" and bring in new characters so I wanted a co-creator credit and, when things sold, some money beyond just writer. They handled ALL the submission and print problems and all I did was write some extra pitch info.

I'm working with a couple of artists where I've been brought in to write (and have given me co-creator status) and they are in charge of getting it out there, and while I offer my help, it's their party.

The flip side is that I have "contracted" two artists on two projects that I am writing and in that situation I'm the one doing the dog-work as far as getting the books out to the right people.

So like I say, it depends. I have found the collaborative approach makes things a lot looser and more friendly in comic-books. Now granted, I could just have been VERY lucky and found myself some really great people to work with, but having collaborated on several books with lots of different creatives, I think I'm getting an idea for who the good guys (and gals) are and who I really don't wanna work with.

Now, a) did that help; and b) did that make any sense at all?

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks wordmonkey...yes on both counts. Made sense, and helped.

Fortunately, I too have found some really great people to work with, and am more worried about protocol than securing my interests. But it sounds like the publishers are fine accepting the submission from whichever co-creator sends it...I guess that was my main worry. For the sub-worries, it sounds like my compatriots and I are on the right track.

Thanks again!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Decide now what their cut is. Just publicity or a share of the payment? Also decide what you get and the artists gets and put it in writing and sign it.

Also, do some research and be aware of what you are doing. The "something" called Heavy Metal is a hugely influential comic magazine that has world wide newsagent distribution. Walk into pretty much any book store and you will be able to buy it. Getting accepted would be a very big deal indeed so losing it because you hadn't worked out the rights and shares ahead of time would be a big shame.

Problems happen and even a very rough written agreement makes a big difference. I, personally, know one writer who got toally cut out of a deal with a major comic publisher because his good friend the artist handled thr submission and stabbed him in the back. It happens.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I thought you were joking when you referred to Heavy Metal as "something." Good lord. It's like calling Marvel a little indie publisher.

I used to have a bunch of Heavy Metal issues around here, somewhere. If nothing else, they introduced me to some great bands....not to mention, the really cheesy Heavy Metal movies they made.

Status
Not open for further replies.