News Flash! Moderator takes 2-week vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, fans, your moderator will be on vacation for two weeks beginning Thursday, Sept 14.

He thinks he needs it. He may be wrong. But he's taking his laptop and will make some feeble attempt to check in on you crazies once or twice (or not). He might get some writing done, especially if it's raining.

But rain or shine, he WILL look down into the Grand Canyon (something he has never done yet) and he WILL drive along the Extraterrestial Highway and stop in at Rachel, Nevada. He will accept orders for silly overpriced trinkets or other souveniers, likely manufactured in China. But what the hey, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. (If not, it should be.)

He will not make an attempt to see Area 51. He is of the understanding that the Google Earth image of it is clearer than what you can see through a 50X spotting scope on the only public road where you can glimpse the place. Besides, once you have seen an airfield, you have pretty much seen them all.

I expect folks like ChunkyC, Medevialist, Macalister, Birol, rtlryarms, etc, will stop in here and fan the flames of interesting discussions in my absense. Will I miss you all? Honestly, no. Not very much. Not for just two weeks. What I will miss is the realtime chats in the AW chatroom. Maybe Chaostitan or Shweta can host a rousing forum chat and post the log in here.

I got my camera batteries charged, my laptop batteries charged, and five yellow pads. I'm all set. See you all in October.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, vertigo - don't stand too close to the edge at the canyon we'd like you to return. Happy holidays! and happy writing:Sun:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're gonna freakin' LOVE the Grand Canyon ! Happy trails, till October :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I volunteer to be junior deputy moderator in your absence.

Can I have your ray gun?

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
You will love the Grand Canyon! You will also find it difficult to breathe due to the thinner air. The view is worth it.

If you see this guy:
242684836_3f3a3f9779_m.jpg

tell him I said hi. He liked popcorn.

Karen

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun on your vacation, Pthom! We'll try to keep the place tidy while you're gone.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peter! Don't listen to Karen about the thinner air, you's a Oar-Ree-Gone Mountain Man, you knows all about that stuff. ;)

Have a blast!

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
::wheeze:: ::kaff kaff::

Yup I shore does.

and that's Ory-gun to you

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I thought ducks never wore pants to begin with.

You're weird.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Don't you think it's weird how Donald Duck has three nephews, and he's always going on trips with them, and none of them ever wear any pants?

Disney is perverted.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Pthom, do you mind if we redecorate a bit while you're away? Maybe a couple of Jacob's ladders in the corners for the SF fans, or a few flaming torches on the walls for the fantasy fans? :D

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Have at it. I want pictures though. 600 dpi TIFF, and/or quicktime movies.

;)

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
For a proper SF lair, we'll need some open reel computer tape drives on the wall with reels that spin back and forth but don't actually have any tapes in them. Also a lab table or two with distillery glassware and lots of beakers filled with colored liquids that steam even if they're not over the bunsen burners.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Ask Roger Carlson. I seem to recall him having a photo of a "household computer" that would be in the better houses in the year 2001. ;)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
You'll love the Grand Canyon, Peter. I saw it...yikes, five years ago! Has it been that long?

At its widest point, the canyon just doesn't look real. I felt as if I could throw a rock and it would bounce off a magnificent painting. It's breathtaking.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Travel guide

Cool. Very cool. Have an excellent, safe trip.
Pthom said:
...But rain or shine, he WILL look down into the Grand Canyon (something he has never done yet)...
I assume you'll be on the south ridge (that's where most of the tourists go), but if you're coming from up north, maybe not. Either side, it's awesome (as in the original, jaw-dropping, depends-requiring sense of the word).

If you get the chance, head a little further south and east and visit meteor crater. It's a cool little geographic landmark with a museum at its edge.
Pthom said:
...and he WILL drive along the Extraterrestial Highway and stop in at Rachel, Nevada. He will accept orders for silly overpriced trinkets or other souveniers, likely manufactured in China. But what the hey, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. (If not, it should be.)
The place is so small it doesn't even rate a McDonalds... but the little A'le'Inn is a charming little spot for believers and skeptics alike.
Pthom said:
...He will not make an attempt to see Area 51. He is of the understanding that the Google Earth image of it is clearer than what you can see through a 50X spotting scope on the only public road where you can glimpse the place. Besides, once you have seen an airfield, you have pretty much seen them all.
That's pretty much true (at least since the late 90s), but if you're going to be near Rachel, it's worth driving the long dirt road toward the edge of Nellis just so you can take a picture (or have your picture taken) next to the sign that says "No Photographs." :tongue

...Don't worry. If you've run out of film, I guarantee the guys in the distant truck'll have pictures of you too...:D
Pthom said:
I got my camera batteries charged, my laptop batteries charged, and five yellow pads. I'm all set. See you all in October.
Buckle yer seatbelt, amigo, and watch for those sudden drop-offs.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Have fun, Peter! We'll miss you. Or at least... I will. Everyone else will throw a party :D

The grand canyon is wunnerful. Have much fun, and I hope it rains enough that you get a little writing done.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
For a proper SF lair, we'll need some open reel computer tape drives on the wall ...
I'd like one of the Frankenstein lab accessories: The two rods in a V shape with the electric arcs sizzling upwards.

Oh, and the thingy from Airplane 2 about which Shatner said, "The lights go back and forth, but it doesn't seem to do anything!" I titter like a little girl every time I see that thing in a movie or TV show.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
I volunteer to be junior deputy moderator in your absence.

Can I have your ray gun?

No.

Pthom, do you mind if we redecorate a bit while you're away? Maybe a couple of Jacob's ladders in the corners for the SF fans, or a few flaming torches on the walls for the fantasy fans? :D

Have fun. Just, please, please, please, no matter what she tells you, don't let MacAllister play with the electricity. Not unless you want to have to actually write and read by those torches.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Nangleator said:
I'd like one of the Frankenstein lab accessories: The two rods in a V shape with the electric arcs sizzling upwards.

Those are called Jacob's ladders. My brother the electrical engineer made one. They're pretty cool, but don't stand too close.

Of course, we're also going to have to do something with weather control to permanently site an electrical storm over us for the electrical experiments.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to restock the pantry with aluminum foil. I have a feeling when I get back, we'll need to make LOTS of hats.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
We might need a good supply of Bactine and band-aids, too. We'll be sure to wash the scorch marks off the walls and sweep up the ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.