Antithesis of Stupid Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lori Basiewicz

While the "Stupid Things We Tell Ourselves Thread" lets us give voice to the self-doubts which often plague us writers and lets us see we are not alone in our fears, let's take this thread to remember why we push through those fears to actually write and submit our work.

I might be able to fool enough people into letting me write for them so I can quite the day job.

It keeps the voices quiet.

If you tell people you're a writer, they think it's okay if you're a little odd.

I can take out my frustrations with the human race without worrying about getting arrested.
:head

robertquiller

Good idea.

I can ditch manual labor (leave that to the maid), and spend my days with ideas.

I don't have to deal with people I can see or hear.

maestrowork

Oh, I already quit my day job. Better go with it.

People eyes light up when I tell them I'm a writer.

Think about how nice it is to have dinner in New York with King, Grisham, Brown, Chabon, Irving, et el.

I got to kill a lot of people and get away with it. I got to kill the people I hate.

Paper is only $2.86 per rim at Staples today.

MacAl Stone

I'd be writing ANYWAY, because I can't seem to stop myself :) So I might as well sub it.

Hearing "no" hasn't killed me yet--I hear it all the time, in a variety of contexts--and things usually turn out okay anyway...

Betty W01

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think I have something to say that needs to be said, that only I can write.

That, and it beats waitressing...
3_2_110.gif

aka eraser

My writing's good enough - I'm smart enough - And doggone it - Editors like me!

with apologies to Stuart Smiley

I was going to start this thread Lori. You beat me to it. ;)

Negative thinking can become a habit. I believe all writers are at least a bit neurotic and rejections can certainly fuel it. Affirmation may be poo-poo'd as too simplistic among the jaded intelligentsia but I believe it helps slay the self-doubt demons.

Lori Basiewicz

I'm just noticing how many of us included something semi-violent in our responses.

I agree, Frank, it is okay to acknowledge the self-doubt and have a pity party once in a while, but we shouldn't let it consume our focus.

MacAl Stone

LOL--this is actually much more what I was shooting for (but still caught in the throes of deepest depression yesterday, it just didn't come out quite right)

But I figured if those doubts got posted here, SOMEbody would have a cure.

And I'm much better today.:jump

LiamJackson

too old to chase bad guys anymore...
spudnikcop.gif

too expensive to build monsters in my basement...
hae18.gif

Rock star is out...
Drums.gif

Heights make me dizzy, so no
Tomcat.gif

And, no dragons to slay
bud.gif

Guess I'll just have to write about all that stuff :grin

Yeshanu

I just wrote a whole page of this stuff today. I was reading a book called too lazy to work, too nervous to steal, and it advises writers to "Get an attitude."

So here's my attitude:

I am a good writer.
I am a prolific writer.
I deserve to be well paid for my words. They will help hundreds, or thousands, or maybe even millions of people lead a better life.
I love to play with words.
I have enough pride to believe in my words, and enough humility to accept correction from qualified critics and editors.
I've got the write attitude.

ChunkyC

a definite :thumbs to this thread

I want to see outer space. So far, writing about it has done the most to further that end.

I want to leave something behind for my daughter and her daughters.

Betty W01

Everything is held together with stories.
That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion.
~Barry Lopez

I want to write stories with compassion. There are enough writers already at work that write to tear others down.

arrowqueen

At least writing keeps us off the streets and stops us mugging old ladies.

:thumbs

aq

RichMar

Not exactly

I'm still able to snatch purses from the elderly and put in enough writing time to knock off a few inspirational poems for the Christian markets.

Hey, it's just a question of budgeting your time.

Princesstilly

Re: Not exactly

Writing is the closest thing we can have to immortality. I am doing this for my daughters--to show them the importance of following their dreams. If my novel ever gets published, that's a bonus but the immediate pay-off is the respect I feel for myself, knowing that I am following through on a promise I made to finish what I started.

Leanne Beattie

Pthom

Off the streets ...

I write so that I can avoid things I should otherwise be doing . . . like painting the south side of my studio. Who knows? Perhaps the unfinished appearance will become a fad--primer gothic. It's been almost four years.

LiamJackson

Re: Off the streets ...

It's been almost four years.

Some might call that a perpetual exercise in procrastination. I say you're the model of consistency and perseverance. Salute!

Yeshanu

Re: Off the streets ...

I write so that I can avoid things I should otherwise be doing . . . like painting the south side of my studio.

Pthom,

You must really be a painter. A "real" writer would paint the side of the studio so he could avoid writing... :b

spooknov

Re: exuses for horror writers...

I just enjoy scaring the snot out of people.

If I don't write a good horror, who's left to do it?

It's a great way to release pent up hostilities.

I can kill those annoying people in my life a thousand times, and never go to jail.

pianoman5

Writer's privilege

Writing lets you finish a paragraph or idea without anyone having the opportunity to interrupt you.

It's the perfect outlet for enthusiasms, gripes, and prejudices.

You can be as dirty as you like, and men in berets will say it's OK because it's 'art'.

Introspection in a writer is fine. Everyone else is told to 'snap out of it'.

We have the right to demand silence, even if we don't get it.

People have a curious respect for it as an occupation, as long as you don't tell them how little you earn.

We are living our dream, which others are scared to do.

I feel better already.

A journey of a thousand pages begins with a single word. No, wait, I'll just make a snack first.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You may have hit on something, Rob. This whole 'change' thing might not have anything at all to do with the servers or encouraging people to spend more time in the forums that support writing.

It's a mad plan to erase the embarrassing pasts of some of our mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.