PDA

View Full Version : Contest ideas

ixchel
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm planning on offering a contest for the release of my upcoming ebook, EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA. I have some idea of what I'll offer but was wondering if anyone has offered a contest. How did you run it? I'd love any suggestions.

BardSkye
09-17-2006, 12:15 AM
a contest for the release of my upcoming ebook

I'm a little confused by that phrase. Are you offering a contest for persons to be included in the book, for publishers to compete to release the book, or for those purchasing the book?

I've just completed the inaugural awards for a writing contest, in which the prizes were gift certificates from the store hosting the event, special t-shirts and publication in a trade anthology. The contest was run through two independent bookstores, city and regional libraries and some schools. (See "Alberta/Saskatchewan Young Writers' Contest" in the Announcements thread.)

ixchel
09-17-2006, 01:16 AM
No, I'm going to offer a contest to celebrate the release of my novel. The gift certificates will tie in with the theme of my Young Adult book and be geared toward that audience. This is very popular with live journal writers and that market.

BardSkye
09-17-2006, 06:17 AM
E-books are something I know nothing about, I'm afraid. If they're offered at libraries you might approach them. Perhaps stores or sites that offer items similar to your theme might want to take advantage of your plans? It would offer both of you some cross-publicity that way. If you have a local cable station, they're often looking for local items to report on.

Congratulations on the upcoming release!

veinglory
09-17-2006, 06:21 AM
It depends on how the book will be released? I take it this is an ebook. Then you probably want to look into sites where a lot of ebook readers hang out like a good forum or blog for that genre. IMHO it pays not to make it too hard for people to enter or uptake isn't that good.