Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't for a story but for a favor I'm doing, critiquing high school seniors' college application essays.

My own kids were lucky to have a writer in the house to tweak their work into its best shape ("Are you sure about that verb tense?" "Hm, do you really mean impermeable here?") and it seemed like a good thing to say yes when students at another website asked. I didn't offer, so it's flattering to be asked out of the blue.

However, for the second time in two weeks, I've discovered blatant plagiarism. I call the authors on it, of course, but I'd like to be on solid footing before issuing any more dire condemnation.

What happens when college students plagiarize?

If you are a current or very recent college or university student (ETA: or a faculty member or administrator), did your college have a policy on plagiarism? (The college or university as a whole, not individual professors or departments.) If so, what would happen to the student who plagiarized all or substantial portions of a paper? What if he or she plagiarized and got caught more than once? Last, and only if you're comfortable saying so publicly, what college or university did or do you attend?

Also, if anyone happens to know, does the college application process involve any attempts to identify plagiarism when and if it occurs? Considering that I'm two for three on essays I've critiqued, I hope so.

Maryn, whose kids' work was at least original

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I'm speaking from the POV of someone teaching college, and who has served on admissions boards, and yes, if we see something that looks wrong, we have a variety of anti-plagiarism tools to verify and we do.

It's a very very bad move. You're not going to get a second chance if you do that. A sucky personal essay? You might qualify on other counts enough to ignore it; a plagiarized statement? You haven't a chance, ever.

And admissions committees are mostly formed of staff from the dean of students, and experienced faculty. It's not like they're naive about this stuff.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duh, I didn't even include faculty in my message. Say you did find obvious plagiarism in an application essay. You don't accept the kid. Do you notify any other schools of your discovery, or leave each to detect it for themselves?

Maryn, who needed less than 30 seconds to find it

Deleted member 42

Maryn said:
Duh, I didn't even include faculty in my message. Say you did find obvious plagiarism in an application essay. You don't accept the kid. Do you notify any other schools of your discovery, or leave each to detect it for themselves?

Maryn, who needed less than 30 seconds to find it

I suspect that sister schools will share results, but it would depend on the school and the people. I am not sure of this, but I suspect that FERPA laws which protect student information, would mean that state and federally funded schools can't do anything other than contact the student, because it would violate student privacy rights.

Since a lot of sister schools pool admissions data for ranking I suspect some kind of sharing is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.