Research: Written reaction to a memoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzy

I'm trying to find any articles (or books) written by people who have seen themselves portrayed in a family member's work (memoir, short stories, etc) for an article I'm writing.

I was reading Sheila Munro's "Lives of Mothers and Daughters" but it's sadly lacking in seeing herself portrayed in her mother's writing.

Any suggestions?

Help!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ooh, darn, I wish I could remember more than sketchy details on this, but about 6 months ago, there was a piece by a woman who was humiliated when she found an essay published by her ex-boyfriend that basically talked about how immature and clingy she was, and their dumb pet names for each other. She couldn't believe she was seeing her personal life laid out like that, and even though I don't think he named her, it wasn't hard for people who knew her to figure out. It was in a major publication, too.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Thomas Wolfe - Look Homeward Angel. The author was banned from the Asheville, NC public library for seven years "BECAUSE HE WROTE SUCH TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT HIS MOTHER." Also, he wrote about politics, prostitution and liquor in his home town.

When my mom became interested in him the the mid 1960s, she had older people who were still shocked that she wanted to have anything to do with that book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.