Sylvia Plath

Arisa81

I've been reading about her life as well as some of her poems the last few days. Quite an interesting person she was.

I haven't read any of her books yet, but I have a whole list that I want to check out. I think her short life interests me more than her actual writings, but they are intertwined as I have been finding out.

Has anyone here read any of her works? What do you think of them?

evelinaburney

Plath's letters...

I have a book of Plath's letters called _Letters Home_ which offers really interesting insight into her state of mind, and her life as a writer. Some good writing tips in there as well. Check it out!

Arisa81

Re: Plath's letters...

I am planning to read Letters Home as well as The Journals of Sylvia Plath :)

I will check out Ariel too, I don't think I have come across that one yet.

Has anyone read The Bell Jar?

veingloree

The bell Jar was useful as a way of understanding that I wasn't the only person to get depressed. But as a book I found it's main virtue was brevity.

Arisa81

Her depression also fascinates me, as I have suffered from it too. And her also being a writer with depression adds to the interest. That seems to be a common trait in artsy people, I've noticed.

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com

I like "Daddy", but frankly, Sylvia Plath is the poster girl for the crazy, whacked-out poet.

Look, I've seen the academic studies (e.g., Andreasen)- the scientific research is pretty clear that creative writers and poets really DO have more mental problems than the general population. And this pattern is underscored if you go to enough poetry workshops and conferences - the makers of antidepressants and mood stabilizers could cleanup bigtime by setting up a table next to the one where all the books and literary journals are sold.

But poets such as Plath and Virginia Woolf and Robert Lowell and Anne Sexton (incidentally Sexton, Lowell and Plath and all "alumni" of the same mental hospital - McLean, near Boston) have given "permission" for some poets to wear their mental problems on their shirt like a registration badge at a trade show. They're like, "Sure, I'm about as stable as a house of cards on a camel, but I'm also a poet, so get over it!"

Last edited:

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com
(incidentally Sexton, Lowell and Plath and all "alumni" of the same mental hospital - McLean, near Boston)

Last year I was at a poetry conference where the 2004 winner of the Pulitzer prize in poetry, Franz Wright read some of his works, including poems he had written while he was a patient at McLean! Nevermind an MFA - of you really want to give your writing career a boost, convince a shrink you're nuts and tell him the only place that can help you is McLean!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading about her life as well as some of her poems the last few days. Quite an interesting person she was.

I haven't read any of her books yet, but I have a whole list that I want to check out. I think her short life interests me more than her actual writings, but they are intertwined as I have been finding out.

Letters Home
Bell Jar
Journals
unabridged Journals
(and I've about five more works about Plath)
She was phenomenal to me. I actually tried to emulate her, wanting to be her when I was younger. Needless to say I was a very depressed and f*cked up child. :)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Although I have not suffered from depression, and my childhood was picture perfect, I grew up on Sylvia Plath (well, "Ariel" & "The Bell Jar" anyway - her journals were published *much* later.) I remember her death in 1963. In 1969, Assia Wevill, the woman for whom Plath's husband, Ted Hughes, left her, also killed herself. Suicide was as fashionable then as now, and of course, the literary tabloids went wild.

The whole idea of "confessional poetry" was new to me at the time - Sexton & Lowell were not my cup of tea. I was really more of a Stephen Spender fan...odd, he knew Ted Hughes, so there's always this sort of connection between poets, maybe all poets of any given era.

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com
She was phenomenal to me. I actually tried to emulate her, wanting to be her when I was younger. Needless to say I was a very depressed and f*cked up child. :)

Did you try burning a pile of some other writer's manuscripts in your backyard? Plath gathered up a pile a manuscripts Ted Hughes had been working on and burned them.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Bell Jar is one of my favorite books. I read in it college and have re-read it many times. I think her poetry is interesting.

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Did you try burning a pile of some other writer's manuscripts in your backyard? Plath gathered up a pile a manuscripts Ted Hughes had been working on and burned them.

One of the drawbacks of marriage to a philandering poet is that the urge to burn up his manuscripts (or other choice parts) must be absolutely overwhelming at times.

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com
One of the drawbacks of marriage to a philandering poet is that the urge to burn up his manuscripts (or other choice parts) must be absolutely overwhelming at times.

I don't doubt it. And he's not off the hook with the burning thing, either - he claims to have destroyed the last volume of Plath's journal, allegedly out of respect for their children.

And as you note, he really was quite the philanderer, cheating on Wevill, as well. I don't know what the other womens' personality traits were or whether any of them also committed suicide.

I'm a happily and faithfully married (22 years last month!) man, and my wife is definitely on the normal, stable end of the personality spectrum. But the women I sometimes find myself attracted to are often on the bohemian, weird, slightly psycho end of the spectrum. I don't know why. I recently wrote a ( fictional! ) poem about having an affair with goth poet who had a fixation on death.

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I don't know why. I recently wrote a ( fictional! ) poem about having an affair with goth poet who had a fixation on death.

That's the poet part of you! The writer is all of us has the ability - sometimes the obligation - to get up and get out and do stuff we would never do or think or feel, but which the writer must experience, if only through the medium. Our writer minds stretch out in ways we don't always understand.

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
My mother subjected me to "The Bell Jar" and "Ariel" back in the early 70's when Plath was having one of her periodic bursts of popularity. Self-absorbed, navel-gazing dreck. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :tongue

Naw, I think you might have it right - "confessional poetry" never did do it for me, but Plath's life was very interesting. I really liked reading about her more than reading her poetry.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

too bad she didn't immolate that bastard while she was at it.

This thread is most deserving of the Poetry forum, where it will now reside in splendor.

yeah the last thing we need is culture in office party.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
yeah the last thing we need is culture in office party.
Oh but there is culture, only it's one of lunacy and debauchery and YouTube videos and the wanton display of hirsute avatars. Come to think of it, Sylvia Plath would fit right in. I'll ask Rob if he wants to move this thread back to Office Party.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
She was actually my Senior Project when I was in Advanced Placement English in high school. I was able to do something really nifty because she was such a well-known poet in the UK. Our local library happened to have (astounding, considering I went to school in a podunk town in Colorado) all of her BBC tapes of her poetry readings. I went through all of her poetry and cut out stanzas to tell her life story and then did a new tape of all of the BBC tapes so that she recited my poem. :D I was pretty proud of that effort and got an A+ for the class. I saved the poem. Wish I would have saved the tape.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've read everything Plath wrote that is available to the masses. I love her fiction and her poetry. Wasn't all that into her journals, but read them just to gain insight.

My all-time favorite is Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams. Great short story. I loved the premise...I felt like a voyeur reading it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh but there is culture, only it's one of lunacy and debauchery and YouTube videos and the wanton display of hirsute avatars. Come to think of it, Sylvia Plath would fit right in. I'll ask Rob if he wants to move this thread back to Office Party.

You're funny, silver king. Now say something poetic.

ddgryphon

King of Sloth Town
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, I honestly find both Plath and Sexton brilliant and am a huge fan of both. So, maybe I'm out of touch. I find them very accessible and, though not always, quite affecting more than affected.

I had the odd circumstance as part of a graduate class to go through Plath's actual journals and found Hughes edited versions somewhat odd or at odds. Plath was a little neurotic, but her early journals mark her as a creative caring girl with a ton of hope. Her early works were also masterful in their attention to form and detail.

Later, after the madness and treatments set in, she was as much a wreck from treatment as she was from illness. Her poetry reflected this shadow that she lived under and it fell apart in ways I find hard to describe. But even in that there are flashes of brilliance and truth.

I've seen confessional poets berated here before and I think it is probably typical of the next generation of poets, like rebellious teenagers, to reject the previous generations work in favor of their own idiosyncrasies. Make no mistake, their work was brilliant, if marked with insanity. I've never subscribed to the belief that "artists" need to be nuts to be good. I've also never felt that "artists" were special in that only they can do what they do. They are people who follow talent that, in America at least, is rarely favored with being well paid or even respected.

So, while they may represent the "damaged artist" I think their work is much more than that. Sexton's Transformations and 45 Mercy Street are particular favorites. Plath's early work I find better than her later work, but it is all quality. Don't cheat yourself by dismissing all of this work by labeling it. You'll find a great variety within the narrow definition their work is given.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be

I have the complete poems in digital format - want it?