Okay to touch base with agent after mailing MS?

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
Got referred to an agent who agreed to read first three chapters of my novel. I sent the three chapters + synopsis and cover sheet and everything. This was two weeks ago. Is it unprofessional to drop a line just to make sure he got it? Also, I did not send an SASE, figuring the agent could just contact me by e-mail if he wants the additional chapters. Is this okay/normal? Thanks.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You're not signed with the agent, are you? Until she accepts, don't "Touch bases." If she's accepted you as a client, touch bases as often as you once--in a profesional manner that respects the agents time.

Meantime, two weeks isn't any time at all in the world of query and rejection.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What Bartholomew said.
Leave it at least 3 months unless the agent gave you a firm timeline.
In the meantime keep sending out your query to other agents.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
When I was querying - most of my stuff was asked for via email - and when I sent it I would ask them to let me know if it was received - which all of the agents did nicely.
Only the offer of representation came by phone call.
I suggest that you wait for another 2 weeks and then email identifying yourself and project (maybe paste your original query in the body of the email so they know who you are) and ask if your partial was received.
Make sure you put the agents name and project name in the subject line and say re: requested material
that always got a response for me.
I must admit I got better response from my email queries than I ever did with snail mail and in fact the agent who signed me asked for everything as an attachment - even the full...
hope that helps
pat

Bartholomew is right...2 weeks is nothing in this biz... but if they are really interested it can be much faster...triceratops said he was signed in 12 days and it only took three weeks for me...

BUT bugging them i.e. touching bases is the KISS OF DEATH!!!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I was going to ask a similar question but might as well jump in here. I had an agent request for three chapters almost two months ago and was told a reply would come within 6-8 weeks. That's up by the third week of September. Should I just wait a bit longer or prepare my follow-up query now?

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
seun said:
I was going to ask a similar question but might as well jump in here. I had an agent request for three chapters almost two months ago and was told a reply would come within 6-8 weeks. That's up by the third week of September. Should I just wait a bit longer or prepare my follow-up query now?

I add a month onto their stated response time.