Focusing the Blog

mjlpsu

unidentifiable food tester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boozefoodtravel.com
Just wondering what everyone thinks of a focus in a blog. Must a blog have a clear focus or can it have a wide scope?
Really, I've been wondering about this for my own blog... I have a variety from movie/book reviews to travel stories to rants and stories about living China. Anyone think this is too much?
You can see for yourself: http://everymanscritic.blogspot.com/
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and such.

Deleted member 42

You don't have to have a focus; most in fact, don't.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
My blog is as eclectic as I am. What I have seen on a lot of blogs is that a person will have one main blog for just about everything, then if they write for something particular, they'll have a link to a separate blog for that idea. But, then again, I only have a few handful of blogs that I look at regularly.

KellyC

wearer of many hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.2passthetorch.com
My blog is supposed to have a focus (raising empowered and responsible youth), but I branch out a lot into all-things-parenting. I'm reworking my blog though, and hope to bring the focus back a little tighter.

I like the freedom I have when it's a bit broader, though. I finally posted a story about a speeding ticket, but stressed about whether it fit or not. Guess that's what's great about blogging - you cna do whatever you want. It's just that my blog is supposed to promote my educational products, and it doesn't do that yet. I need to hook up with educator blogs first. That's next on my agenda. But I'm in a really great network of mommybloggers right now and am enjoying it.

Last edited:

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
mj, my blog does have a central focus, but I diverge from time to time, and that keeps things interesting. I try to relate everything to the central focus most of the time, but everyone knows when I'm totally faking it and just doing my thing. :]

Kristen

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
There was a discussion about this on one of the legal blogs I read occassionally, and the conclusion seemed to be that blogs with a broader focus might grab more readers. Who knows?

My blog has a definite focus - me! Now if only I had some focus myself.:D

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Good question! The main focus of my blog is my Adventures in Novel Writing ;), but here and there, I branch out into all kinds of topics from cats to science to book reviews to the monster toadstools growing in my yard after the recent rain.

All work and no play makes Pellegrina a dull girl, ya know.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
mjlpsu said:
I have a variety from movie/book reviews to travel stories to rants and stories about living China. Anyone think this is too much?
I don't think it's too much. It's pretty entertaining, actually. :)

My blog has a pretty tight focus, and I think that helps bring in traffic. Then again, I think offering a few surprises (a random, OT post now and again) is a good thing -- it's something I haven't done yet, but have been meaning to do, just to liven things up a bit.

Gillian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gillianpolack.com
Every now and then I worry about focussing my blog and I ask my regular readers what they like most and the general consensus seems to be tangled. Some like recipes, some like history, some like bits about my writing, some like to hear family stories, some like SF convention reports. Every time I give up and just write what I feel like.

Bk_30

muse..muse...come here muse!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
justasmalltowngirl2.blogspot.com
Mine tends to be what ever is on my mind that day. Joining the blog chain and Flash Fiction Fridays along with my "what I'm reading now" Keeps it from getting a wash in my daily drama. My blog started as a way to keep friends and family abreast of what is going on in my life and has morphed into something else..I'm just not sure what that something else is, it resembles the tuperware container in the back of the fridge that I'm afraid to touch. I swear I heard it growl at me the other day.

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
My main blog is tightly focussed on writing for children and parenting, so whenever I write about day-to-day events or current affairs, there is always a thematic link to storytelling.

I have a second blog where I post children's stories for parents to read for their children, but I don't see it as independent blog. I use it as a way to manage the main blog and to make sure that the stories, which I don't post often, are easily accessible for readers looking for them.