PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! Completed 25K words of draft 1...

nicegrrl
09-10-2006, 04:11 AM
My goal was to have a 90-100K draft by the end of December when I started in the beginning of August and I have 25K right now. I think I will get there!

drevil915
09-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Wow, you already have 25,000 words at the beginning of September? That's impressive. I wrote the first draft of my manuscript in about 2 months. At the rate you're going I'll bet you get your draft done way before then.

Mind telling what it is about?

-Jason Iacono

nicegrrl
09-10-2006, 04:28 AM
My story is about an Indian muslim girl who has just graduated Harvard and is taking a year off to prepare for the MCATs. For better or for worse, this year off is anything but a vacation. It begins when she is in London and a mysterious Saudi Arabian man claims he is interested in buying the apartment building she lives in. She does some research and finds out he is the nephew of Osama Bin Laden.

Soon afterwards, she discovers that she lives accross the street from the South African ambassador and warns him that Faisal Bin Laden wants to live across the street. From that point on, the character delves into adventures with London's high society- she attends secret banquets at Parliament and parties on the roof of Westminster, goes to private clubs for the elite, historical tea houses until she decides she cant make heads or tails of what Faisal wants with her apartment and leaves for New Jersey to continue her life of studying in the quiet suburbs.

Suddenly, the FBI is at her door and takes her away. Without any idea of what is going on, Fatima goes from an armored vehicle to a plane to a secret prison in Poland. No charges are filed, so she knows she a suspected terrorist under the patriot act. A very well connected friend manages to rescue her. At that point, they go on an adventure that takes them all over the Balkans and the island of Malta in order to find out what exactly Faisal's dirty secrets are and why someone in the government wants them shut up.

It sounds like a thriller, but it's actually a psychological journey full of observations on morality, modern society and ultimately, the meaning of jihad.

drevil915
09-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Wow, that sounds like a really interesting idea, it has a lot of potential. Sounds like you're going for a more literary path than just straight up action. I like that, it sounds great. It's also good that you're taking a high-concept idea and making it deeper than just a high-concept. When I wrote mine, it was kind of the same way. I wanted to go more thought-provoking.

Am I understanding your story or do I have it wrong?

-Jason

nicegrrl
09-10-2006, 04:58 AM
You got it drevil- you understand. Thanks! What is your story about?

NeuroFizz
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Keep it up, Nice. You'll get there.

Sury
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Great going! Keep up the good work. :)

Sury

CaroGirl
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Wow, well done. Keep it up so you don't lose momentum.

Freckles
09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
That's great...keep going.

Kate Thornton
09-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Way to go!

nicegrrl
09-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks everyone!

Cath
09-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Hey, going well - keep it up and you'll be finished in no time. :)

Sonarbabe
09-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Wow! That is some story and you're 25k into it? Great job! And here I was doing a private woo-hoo for finally breaking through my writer's block and getting 1k written this week. LOL You go girl!