PA sent me two statements for the same book

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi,

I'm new to this Board and I would like to introduce myself: My pseudoname is "Duped", because that is how I feel.

I am a published author with Publish America (2004) and (2006) but having said that, I must say that I feel embarrassed to own up to it; and yet my books are worthy of note, being two historical books.

Basically, I have received two August 2006 statements for the same book, being the first of the two to be published in 2004, - one telling me that I have sold zero copies and the other telling me that I have sold 2 copies. My last cheque for the first quarter of this year was for £2.00. I am angry that PA misled me into believing, in 2004, that my work would reach bookstores. For the past two six month quarters I have not been able to cash my cheques from PA because the Bank in the UK charges a £10.00 fee to convert the cheques to US Dollars. I see many many of my books for sale on internet book sites with say, 17 in stock, 10 in stock, 8 in stock but where is the money they have generated?

I am full of embarrassment for chosing PA as a publisher, and forget the idea that friends and family buy PA books to give credit to the author, because in my case my family all came out with the cry "19.95 is a rip off" or words to that effect, so that I was left with egg on my face to such an extent that now I never mention my writing to my family.

In total, my first book has sold approximately 60 copies that I can think of, since February 2004, and it appears on EBay, but I have received nothing more than $23.00 in royalties from PA since February 2004. I really did believe, that with my 7 years of historical research and the inclusion of Elizabethan historical material from various Educational bodies in England, that my book would, at the very least, have a fairly good chance of success; expecially with a review from a Duke.

My second book, and I say this tongue in cheek, has done nothing whatsoever to hit the spot. I have sold only one copy to a friend who called it "a thrilling read etc." But even so, I did not receive my dollar royalty.

What is going on with the royalties at PA? Books I know I sold, have not materialised in royalties!

I must now give up on PA and tread a new path. I have decided to eradicate my association with PA and start afresh and never mention them on my writing c.v. It would sound better to a prospective agent if I told them that I had won a poetry competition at school at the age of 11. Similarly, I never mention to work colleagues that I am a published author with PA.

The press release for my second book went ignored by the local newspaper.

Regards,

Duped

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story, Duped. Hopefully it will stop others from making the same mistake by actually believing PA's promises. They are nothing but a pack of lies, usually realized by the author when it's too late.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi Maddog,

Well my misery has come to an end and I cannot offer any more books to PA even if I wanted to because PA no longer offer contracts to UK authors. It is a blessing in disguise!

Duped

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Duped, I'm sorry that you were taken in by those shysters. Sending the checks in US dollars to UK authors just adds insult to injury! They've never send it in pounds as far as I know, and you KNOW they know they're ripping off the authors.

I hope you can get your rights back, and if they are historical novels, can have them reprinted by a reptuable niche publisher.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Duped,
Welcome to AW. I, too was a PA author but have, as of March, had my rights returned to me.
You ask on another thread how to go about getting your rights back.
I emailed them every week (the same email) and asked that my rights be returned to me and told them I would NOT promote my book nor would I buy any copies from them.
It took a while but was well worth the effort.
Hope this helps some...
Saundra

P.S.
Don't feel bad about being duped. A lot of us were but we have continued on to bigger and better things...

Last edited:

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Well if you have two statements for the same book, then something is wrong ... ; one saying zero sales and one saying two sales for the month of August in the same sales period; in England that would be tantamount to saying something is wrong with the accounting system!.

Duped

PO'd @ PA

Registered
Reaction score
I know how you feel. Several friends of mine approached me with a copy of my book to sign for them. I was shocked they had even paid the ungodly price. Then I received my royalty check of $0.00 That is just impossible to say the least.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I know how you feel. Several friends of mine approached me with a copy of my book to sign for them. I was shocked they had even paid the ungodly price. Then I received my royalty check of $0.00 That is just impossible to say the least.

Dude, would you start your own PA thread instead of bumping all the years-old ones?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd actually prefer he add his experiences to existing threads rather than make new ones.