Just Labs

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, been a while since I posted here, but I always kind of check in and see how everyone's doing. ;) I actually just recieved my contributer's copy of Just Labs Magazine, which is my first paid publication in a pet magazine!

My article (on nail clipping) even recieved a mention on the front cover! Yay!

I've been kind of sticking to "easy" writing since then, and I should really get off my butt. That is to say, I haven't been querying. I've been sticking to the place I regularily write for, so querying is minimalistic and much quicker. Does this make me a bad person?

Much to my surprise, Cinescape also contacted me and now I write for them. The pay isn't great, but every penny counts. Besides, now I get all sorts of cool product for free.

One more question before I talk myself off the face of the earth. Last time I was here, I posted about a query I sent to AKC Family Dog. I proposed a Feature that the editor seemed enthusiastic about, but once I sent writing clips, she never got back to me (they choked her). Some weeks or months later, I sent a follow-up asking if she was still interested, and didn't get a response. If I come up with ideas in the future, should I still propose them to the same magazine? Is there any special ceremony or apologetic mating dance I should perform?

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would feel comfortable querying them again. Who knows, if that editor is still there, seeing another idea from you may refresh her memory and prompt her to assign the old idea too.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Blue,
It doesn't hurt to continue to submit. Could possibly be that the editor already had a submission on the subject you'd sent. If you continue to get absolutely no response from this editor, I'd start sending those same query letters off to different publications and see if you get a bite.

Good luck and congratulations on the new review work.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Just Labs and Family Dog magazine

Hi Fellow animal writers, I have to add a note that Jason Smith, the editor of Just Labs magazine, is an absolute gem. Anyone who wants to write about canines, especially labs, should check out the magazine (justlabs.com). The magazine is a great read with superb photos.

AKC Family Dog magazine? They are relatively new, I have written for them for a specific column both times. Both times I worked with an editor who was in charge of the column, to get a response from Family Dog, I would suggest you keep trying and possibly querying more than one editor at the magazine.