Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm looking for people who have MAs and PhDs in English for some research on one of my characters. I'm particulary interested in the topics they study and write about, their interactions with their academic advisors, and the career paths they hope for (particularly if they're ambitious). Thanks!

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I've got two M.A.s, and about to file a dissertation, completing my Ph.D.

You can probably get most of your information by looking at grad division/English department Web sites.

Generally speaking, you take courses and at about two years you take some combination of exams and a thesis to earn an M.A. This usually includes learning at least one living foreign language.
You take more courses and another set of exams, usually tied to your specialty and your proposed dissertation topic, and you usually have to prove mastery of at least one more living language, at about another two years, give or take six months.

Then you write the damned dissertation; this may take years. Or you may finish the whole thing inside of four or five years, the general goal for a Ph.D.

You may have to defend the dissertation orally.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Medievalist has pretty much described my former MA program to a tee, also. There isn't going to be a ton of variation, I don't expect. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.