Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
All I wanted to know was what happens at the scene when someone crashes a car into a telephone pole.

This is kind of an important plot point in my story, as one of the secondary characters is a lineman for the electric company.

I called my utility company and spoke with customer service, and explained what I was looking for, and asked for a manager, supervisor, or even a lineman who could tell me what the electric company does at the scene when a car crashes into a telephone pole.

They refused. Literally. Refused. To. Answer.

I wasn't looking to expose their Big Secrets. I simply wanted to know: who comes, what does the police and/or FD tell them, what does he tell the police/FD, what happens next, and any special equipment he might use. Terminology would be great.

But no, I'm not supposed to know these terrible secrets. But it's for a novel, I protested. Doesn't matter.

So, may Duke Energy's stock prices plummet due to more people insulating their homes. Take that, faceless corporation.

If an author called my company and asked the receptionist if he could speak to a manager about what it took to build a big machine, they'd transfer him to my boss. He'd happily talk for hours.

But I'm venting.

Does anyone know anyone who works in a utility company that wouldn't mind answering a few questions about car crashes at telephone poles?

Thanks,

allen

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work for a power company, but I worked on the power generation and environmental side. You might want to call a company like Pike Electric. They provide electrical contract services to Duke Energy and other power companies. Duke Energy is Pike's largest customer. Power companies farm out lots of the line work to contractors so they don't have to keep the extra staff in-house. Since they are a smaller company, they might be more willing to help you.

You can contact Pike at http://www.pikeelectric.com/general.html

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Uh ... I called a friend who works for Arizona Public Service ... if you crash into a telephone pole they tell the cops to call the phone company. ;)

Two critical factors:
How bad is the crash in terms of personal injury?
Did any lines break?

And what's the weather and terrain like?

Billytwice

Registered
Reaction score
I was a linesman for BT in the UK and could probably give you some help. The technologies and procedures maybe similar but I doubt the terminology will be the same. Also, that was quite a few years ago and no doubt some of the rules and procedures will have changed.
The prime consideration when attending a pole smash is to ensure the safety of the general public whilst not endangering yourself. PM me if you'd like some more help with details on what happens/ used to happen over here.
Here's a little story about an old linesman's trick for you:
When I started working for the GPO as a linesman in '72 there were still 'open wires' strung between poles. These wires weren't covered in any way and relied on space and porcelain insulators to keep them apart.
Over the years these wires would stretch and sag and then, when the wind caught them they'd wrap up causing short circuits or low insulation resistance faults.
The correct way to fix 'em was to climb the pole and retension the wires with a ratchet and tongs.
But what we used to do was drive our vans up onto the pavement and whack the pole with the bumper to shake the wires apart.
This was fine when I had an old Morris Thousand van, but the first time I did it with my brand new, shiney, Bedford HA, the entire front end wrapped itself around the pole.
Who says cowboys come from America?
Yippee-yi-oh!

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help you with the lineman part of it but I can tell you what happens from the police/fire side of it.

When a car hits a pole, the police are sent, obviously because it's a car accident. The fire department is also sent, they stand by on the scene until a repair crew is sent and then stick around to direct traffic or close the road if need be. Fire dispatch calls the electric or phone company (or both sometimes) dispatch and gives them a ton of information...seriously, they ask everything except for my mothers maiden name, including pole number, is it pole to pole or pole to house, is the pole broken, are the lines down, are they crossing a road, is the person trapped in the car. It's endless. Then they give you a confirmation number that is practically useless unless you need a new ATM pin number or something because if you call back and try to reference it, they can't find it in the system. Then they promise to call back with an ETA which they never do. It usually takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours for the repair crew to show up in our area because we're fairly rural and they're calling the guys at home and the repair crew is usually at least an hour away. Basically, everyone cringes when a car hits a pole because it's an all night (or day) process for everyone involved.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks everyone for the responses. I only have a minute to type this as I'm supposed to be working.

Oarsman, thanks for the heads up about Pike Electric. I can check with them next week.

Tsu Dho, it occurs in the middle of the afternoon on a moderately-traveled suburban street. Houses line both sides. No injuries, driver swerved to avoid someone in street. Clear weather.

I won't be walking the character through every step of the process, I just want to touch on generalities. Basically, Ray arrives, speaks with police/FD, ambulance has already left, towtruck removes car, Ray climbs up pole and using a test tool, find out that a nearby house is drawing a HELL of a lot of current, observes said house and goes to check it out.

The pole appears undamaged, and Ray's assistant suggests a splint (I've seen splinted phone poles before). The question is, does someone come by to do that immediately? Or later? When?

Also, the damage to the pole was worse than they thought. According to the plot, the pole collapses a couple hours later. Drives the plot further.

That's all, I'll be back on later tonight.

allen

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Telephone and electric are two different utilities.

Your scenario sounds like the lineman is working on the electric lines?

I would think the meter reader would be the first to notice a dramatically higher electric bill at a residence. Or even an accounting drone at the main office might notice the higher usage. Meter readers sometimes have an exciting life, too, having to get in and out of folks' yards in one piece ;) what with dogs, hornets, poison ivy and so on.

As an aside -- I worked the switchboard for the power company one summer. If someone had called with questions like yours I would have wondered if they'd been disconnected and were going to risk electrocution by trying to reconenct at the pole ;)

Good luck with your story.

Ann

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks for the suggestions, and I will contact one or two of you via PM to get more details.

And yes, it's electric-related, not telephone. However, they're called telephone poles, in spite of the fact that electric wires are also on them. So, that's the reason for that terminology.

Otherwise, you've all given me good information. What I'm really after, also, is a very quick dialogue meeting with Ray and the police and FD, and what they might say to each other.

In my own line of work, a device called an "amp clamp" can be used to clamp over a wire, and it reads the current going through the wire. I need to find out if a similar device exists for electric pole utility workers. If so, what's it called. If not, I believe I can fictionalize one for the story.

This was supposed to be resolved with a quick call to my electric company, and I wasn't going to post here at all. You know, just trying to do the proper research to get the details right for the novel.

But noooooo. . . . .

Thanks everyone,

allen

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm, hmmm, hmmmmm.

I see what you are after but there is a lot of technical problems here. Hmmm.

Let me think on this for a little while. it is unlikely that the story will follow like that. Linemen are different than Electricians. They clear and check faults but they do not check current in troubleshooting. It is unlikely that a Lineman would clamp a primary line with an Amprobe. In addition the pole climber would open the primary fuses prior to climbing to ensure the lines are dead. they would not lock them in again until the pole is temporarily righted or made safe pending permanent repair.

But you are looking for a way this Lineman would notice that the meter was bypassed and current theft was taking place.

The meter reader would not catch this because the lines are jumped out at the line side, prior to metering.

Let me sleep on it to see if I can come up with a technically safe scenario.

(I am a Master Electrician and a certified Lineman, also certified and licensed in most trades. Long story)

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This would work, or a variation:

The lineman will take care to pull the primary fuses thus killing the power to the transformer feeding a pair or a cluster of homes. From the transformer, each home or business is fed from a separate cable sized for their anticipated load. A normal size house with pool is generally 200 amps. Old houses were 60 amps but as more appliances became popular they went to 100 then 150 now 200 is standard although I am wired for 400 amps. use whatever you want.
If the pole was damaged, the lineman will go up to the transformer and inspect the connections and make repairs as necessary. The utility wires are usually aluminum cables.

While there he can notice discoloring and brittleness on one set supplying your place of interest. He (or she) can become concerned and comment to the authorities that the place should be inspected because he sees signs of aluminum fatigue.

The person he tells could ask what that is, and he can explain that overloading of the cable causes it. He would be confused because the cables are properly sized and the fatigue this cable has acts as if it has double the load.

Linemen like to show off their knowledge so he would go off on a technical binge and start explaining that the process is called electromigration …..

You can trail him off for effect in the middle of his speech as your hero puts 2 + 2 together and does whatever you want him or her to do.

Does that help?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Yes, rtil, I believe that helps.

Thing is, Ray makes an appearance at the end of the first chapter of the book. My MC had built a (different kind of) machine and tested it in the first chapter, and as a result, blew the transformer and killed power to the whole street. Ray had to be dispatched to fix the problem, then he talked to MC and told him to never ever do whatever he was doing again, or MC would get in trouble.

As I was writing the climax chapter (see my other post in Writing Novels forum for further details) I decided it was time to bring Ray back to act as a catalyst during the big climax. What brings Ray into the situation is the crash into the telephone pole, which Ray comes out to inspect. While climbing the pole, he realizes that MC is up to no good again, and goes to see what MC is doing.

THAT's why Ray must see the current usage increase, or transformer damage as you described, or something. It was really just to get Ray into the climax. (For what purposes, I'm not sure yet. Again, see post in Writing Novels forum.)

Thanks everyone for the help. All is much appreciated. Rep points for all (as soon as I get around to it).

allen

Status
Not open for further replies.