PDA

View Full Version : I can't post because of what?????

irishidid
09-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Not enough points??? Are you kidding me? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Oh I get it. I have to buy a book by Jenna, right? Sorry, isn't going to happen. If that's the way people are treated around here then I'm outta here.

Haggis
09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Not enough points??? Are you kidding me? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Oh I get it. I have to buy a book by Jenna, right? Sorry, isn't going to happen. If that's the way people are treated around here then I'm outta here.
Chill, Irish. A while back, we had a bunch of gang-spammers who joined the board only to harass us with a constant barrage of 9/11 conspiracy theory posts. In order to stop that from happening, Jenna instituted the 50 point rule to discourage them from joining just to post their nonsense in the TIO forum. Jenna has never demanded any payment or book purchases as the price of posting in AW.

Stay with us a bit and post elsewhere for awhile. It really doesn't take that long to build up to 50 points. Heck, I'll rep you now if you calm down and smile for me.

Birol
09-07-2006, 07:53 PM
It's not rep points you need to post in TIO, but 50 posts before posting in TIO and TIO is the only forum on AW with that type of requirement. It was a tough decision and one Jenna and the moderators gave very careful consideration to before instituting, but it was done for all the reasons Haggis explained.

Based on your post count, it is obvious you have already posted elsewhere and have discovered it's not a universal requirement for participating in AW.

SeanDSchaffer
09-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Funny, I've posted a number of times on the TIO board and I have never bought a book by Jenna.

Don't read into her post on TIO what you want her to have said. Read what she actually said.

Jenna said you need to post 50 times elsewhere on AW before posting at all on the Take-it-Outside forum. She also said that everyone starts out with 10 rep points and should have no less than what they started out with in order to post.

Nowhere in her post about participating in the TIO forum does it say anything about buying one of Jenna's books.

However, it does require you to buy one of her books to enter one of the two private forums on this board. And as I recall, the forum has to do with the particular book Selling the Fun Stuff.

Like I said above, read what she said, not what you want her to have said.

JennaGlatzer
09-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Uh... yeah. I'll take that apology whenever you're ready.

Amazing the way some people look for dirt where there's none.

PattiTheWicked
09-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, this is just plain silly.

Everyone knows that to post in TIO, you have to pre-order a copy of Pirate's Alphabet.

:)

alleycat
09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
You mean . . I didn't have to buy that Celine Dion book in order to post?

Now I feel foolish.

Birol
09-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Out of curiosity, why would anyone swoop in here and sign up just to post on TIO, when there are probably dozens of forums dedicated to the types of things posted in there?

We never could figure that out either, but it was a coordinated effort on the part of the 9/11 conspiracy theorists. The evidence was readily available and none-too-subtle in their own newsgroup.

ChunkyC
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Goodbye.

veinglory
09-08-2006, 01:48 AM
It's to stop new members with short fuses from running in there and making ridiculous imflamatory and innaccuate declarations. Those would be hypothetical people of course, you would obviously never do that sort of thing.

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Run Irish Run! AW Forums are 10 times more addictive than nicotine.
Look!

<=========================================Posts since August!

I'm melting.........melllllllllllllllllllll-ting!

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2006, 02:45 AM
And when do I get a 'bad report' button under my name? Huh? Huh? What's a guy gotta do around here to earn one of those?????

PattiTheWicked
09-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Don't even ask. It's just too horrible to describe. It has to do with you and Ray in the HOL with a big vat of Vicks Vap-o-rub.

:::shudder::::

Birol
09-08-2006, 03:47 AM
And when do I get a 'bad report' button under my name? Huh? Huh? What's a guy gotta do around here to earn one of those?????

You'll never see it under your own name because you're not able to report your own post (Yes, I tried to do that, too, when we first moved to vBulletin. Geez. You'd think no one else around here ever pushed buttons just to see what they did before). Other users have seen it under your name since your first post. (In case you were serious.)

Rolling Thunder
09-08-2006, 03:52 AM
You'll never see it under your own name because you're not able to report your own post (Yes, I tried to do that, too, when we first moved to vBulletin. Geez. You'd think no one else around here ever pushed buttons just to see what they did before). Other users have seen it under your name since your first post. (In case you were serious.)

Thanks! I thought it meant I wasn't a 'real' luker until it showed up. But....I can still have fun with it.

L M Ashton
09-08-2006, 02:52 PM
But I bought the Celine Dion and Jenna Glatzer action figures, the ones with them waving pom poms. You mean I didn't have to?

KTC
09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
You mean to tell me that I didn't have to purchase Jenna's entire body of work to begin posting here! I've been shafted!

MacAllister
09-08-2006, 04:05 PM
But I bought the Celine Dion and Jenna Glatzer action figures, the ones with them waving pom poms. You mean I didn't have to?
...Oh come on. You'd have got 'em, anyway. Who wouldn't?

L M Ashton
09-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey, KTC, those were collector items, with serial numbers and everything. I had to mortgage the husband to get 'em. Just don't tell Fahim - he doesn't know.

Dawno
09-08-2006, 06:57 PM
But have you bought the limited edition "sparkly ears" collection from Dawnoco? That'll guarantee you thousands of rep points and people will send you cookies.

L M Ashton
09-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Oh really? Cool! I want at least one pair. No, make it two - then maybe people'll send me chocolate, too. :D

poetinahat
10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Anybody else dying to know if the esteemed OP saw the irony of starting a thread complaining about not being able to post?

Maybe this thread is just evidence of the OP's highly-developed ironic sense of humour.

Or maybe not.

JennaGlatzer
10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
What's so frustrating is that I keep almost sending an e-mail to this person, asking where she came up with this nonsense... but then I realize again and again that I probably don't want someone with this kind of temper and lousy reasoning skills around here anyway. It still bothers me, because I see people like this run off to other websites and bring their crazy tales with them ("I wasn't allowed to post on AW because I hadn't bought Jenna's books!") and people actually believe them.

Sigh.

It is a reminder for me that there are people who will actively look for reasons to hate me, even if they have to make them up.

MacAllister
10-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Ah. Maybe so. But then there are all of us you've given ample reason to love ya.

poetinahat
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM
You're a tall, tall poppy, Jenna. Some folks like their gardens niiice and even.

JennaGlatzer
10-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Well, I am 5'4". If I were a poppy, that would be HUGE! :D

Thanks, guys. I'm cool.

Rolling Thunder
10-27-2006, 03:03 PM
There's a joke somewhere in that response about Munchkin Land......but.....um.....I'll just leave the wonderful and powerful Jenna alone.

<-------Cowardly Lion today. (But I'll bet someone else is up to the chalenge?)

KTC
10-27-2006, 03:04 PM
She represents the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild. She represents the lollipop guild....

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-27-2006, 03:17 PM
It's okay, Jenna. It used to bother me that there were people in the world who didn't like me (Yes! Really! Incredible, but true!)... then I figured, 'Hey. I don't like them, either.'

I just found out recently it was all part of that yin and yang thang.

I do have one complaint, however. I bought one of your books and I haven't received the Antonio Bandaras rebate yet. Where IS he? Huh? I've been patient, but even I have limits!

:D

Elodie-Caroline
10-27-2006, 04:28 PM
I've been a member here for a couple of months, but because I spent more time reading the interesting stuff on AW, than answering everything to get my 50 points, I never actually got my 50 points until yesterday!... However, I never complained about it once, I read and understood the rules when I first signed-up to AW instead.

Ellie

MacAllister
10-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Heh. And welcome aboard, too! You finding everything okay? It can be a tad overwhelmine, I know. :)

veinglory
10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
But have you bought the limited edition "sparkly ears" collection from Dawnoco? That'll guarantee you thousands of rep points and people will send you cookies.

My local Walmart must suck because I can't find any of these things [sulks]

Del
10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
bring their crazy tales with them ("I wasn't allowed to post on AW because I hadn't bought Jenna's books!") and people actually believe them.

We could get someone to post on those other boards "Post on AW and get Jenna's book for FREE!" How many copies do you have on hand?

It is a reminder for me that there are people who will actively look for reasons to hate me, even if they have to make them up.

Who could hate a pretty face like yours? Sweetness in triplicate.

veinglory
10-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Some people have "hate" as a default setting [shrug]. It tends to get attached to whatever is in front of them.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-27-2006, 08:45 PM
But watch out for the wrathy eyebrows.

threedogpeople
10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
With friends like these, who needs....

ChunkyC
10-27-2006, 09:20 PM
People think the weirdest things. To go along with the book-buying-before-you-can-post idiocy:

Leave your car running while you run into the store because starting it up uses more gas than leaving it running for ten minutes.
Filling your ice cube tray with warm water before putting it in the freezer makes the water freeze faster.
Becoming a genre fiction writer will make you rich.

Birol
10-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Oo. You forgot:

Writing science fiction/fantasy is easy because the writer gets to make everything up and it doesn't have to be real or believable.

Or something like that.

tiny
10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, I am 5'4".

Dang it! Is everyone taller than me?

Elodie-Caroline
10-27-2006, 10:25 PM
How tall are you then Tiny terror?... I'm only 5 ft exactly if that's any help :)

paprikapink
10-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Nearly everyone. But nearly no one is as terrifying.

tiny
10-27-2006, 10:45 PM
How tall are you then Tiny terror?... I'm only 5 ft exactly if that's any help :)

Woooo hooooo!!!!! I'm five one. One towering inch!!!! Sweet!

Nearly everyone. But nearly no one is as terrifying.

Aw now that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. :D

AnneMarble
10-28-2006, 08:04 AM
What's so frustrating is that I keep almost sending an e-mail to this person, asking where she came up with this nonsense... but then I realize again and again that I probably don't want someone with this kind of temper and lousy reasoning skills around here anyway.
Yeah, most likely he wouldn't have lasted long as it is...

This reminds me of an incident that involved my romance reader discussion group. Although it doesn't involve a bad temper (except mine was frayed :D). It did involve a piece of string, a deck chair, a shiny light, and ... oh no, that was something else. :)

But I digress. Anyway... Someone once tried to join my YahooGroup. Tried being a relative term. The original list died, and the archives were lost, so we put a bold explanation on the home page of the original list and then moved the list. When people tried to join on the old list, I would send an e-mail explaining that the original list had died, and giving instructions on how to join us at the new location. Once, someone replied to my e-mail by asking something like "DOES ANYONE MONITOR THIS? IT HAS DIED..." Keep in mind that she was responding to my mail explaining that the list had moved, not to an automated response, so she should have at least realized the e-mail came from a person or seen my explanation and realized that someone was, indeed, monitoring the list! Anyway, all she had to do was join us at the new group (the URL was given on the home page of the list she had tried to join.) No response, and she didn't try to join. So I sent another, more detailed explanation, explaining the explanation, and giving more explications (and the URL to the new list, plus instructions on how to join). Still nothing. I considered adding her directly to the list, but wondered if she would realize what she was supposed to do. I even worried that she might misunderstand and accuse me of being a spammer or something. And finally someone asked, "Anne, do you really want someone like that on your list?" And I had to admit that this person clearly had trouble understanding instructions and would probably have done things like sending the entire digest back to the list on a regular basis. ;)

Lyra Jean
10-28-2006, 08:27 AM

I'm 4'10"

Kentuk
10-28-2006, 08:38 AM
irishidid is sure missing out on the chance to up his/her post count. Do threads ever die in this forum?

Birol
10-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Of course they do. Sometimes. When a mod closes them.