What's Wrong With Me?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Really. Tell me.

I am asked quite frequently, "What's wrong with you?" Occasionally I am told to "get help" or "Trish, you need help." Quite often I have friends who will call me and usually will tell me that the reason they talk to me is because I'm screwed up more than they are which makes them feel normal. True. They really do.

so when they ask, "What the hell is wrong with you?" I want to be able to give them an answer. You all know me well enough, you see me here nearly every day. You're smart folks, insightful, and as a whole, pretty much a together group of people, so please. tell me what's wrong with me so once and for all I have an answer when I am asked this question.
go ahead. YOu can be honest. You can be brutally honest. I will not be offended. I trust you.
Thank you.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
oh come on, Ferret. There has to be something. why would so many people say it? :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Stew, I think you're suffering from acute, incurable, Constant Arousal Syndrome, a severe case of nymphomania, and a recalcitrant addiction to the dclary.

There's really only one cure. I have your collar and a nice soft bed of newspaper clippings ready.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
There has to be something. why would so many people say it?
It's the way of things, in my experience, that when people say this, they don't Really think there's anything wrong with you. Just that you are different.
I know 'different' sounds like a euphamism (like 'Special'), but I mean it. You are different enough to these people to make them notice it.

That is not a fault. In fact I would view it as one of your greatest attributes (apart from the swimsuit pics of course ;)), because who wants to be another faceless member of the crowd?
Nobody, that's who.

But that may just apply to me and the people I know.

Ignore or ridicule, as you see fit.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're taking advice from a drug-addicted dog? Um, that's the only thing I see wrong with you. The primary problem is probably that you're a writer and we're all so misunderstood. MIsfit is the norm around here!

ggglimpopo

Registered
Reaction score
It's a class thing: if you're poor, you're dysfunctional; if you are 'middle class', you are in need of help, if you are rich, you are eccentric. Take your pick.

I loved your jokes, btw.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get that all the time, but I do have an excuse. I really was born this way.

Tell them that you're what normal really looks like.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Intricate thought infuriates the bozos: that there are ideas that are impossible to understand, works of art that are impossible to fathom, music that creates unbearable passion -- all of this humiliates the average man, who invents his own understandable thoughts, fathomable art, and hummable tunes. What was never meant for him, the work that aims at intelligences greater and nobler than his own, he plots to destroy.

-R.B. Grossman

Fvck the bozos.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
Stew, I think you're suffering from acute, incurable, Constant Arousal Syndrome, a severe case of nymphomania, and a recalcitrant addiction to the dclary.

There's really only one cure. I have your collar and a nice soft bed of newspaper clippings ready.

This has been happening for longer than I've known you, clearly that's not it.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
OK, i was vaguely serious before, but now I see my mistake. Here's the Real answer.

whenever someone asks you that:

1. Freeze
2. Turn slowly to look into their eyes.
3. Don't blink.
4. Say, in a hushed but urgent voice somewhere between a murmur and a whisper, "Pinkle Squirmy Blib Blab Blob"

You can vary number 4 with things like "You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" or "Did you know that If is the middle word in Life" or whatever.

(BTW anyone who identifies all 3 quotes there gets a big, fat rep point)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Haggis said:
Clearly, you don't drink enough beer.
i think a few of the people who think there's something wrong with me would disagree with you here. I however, do not.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Bmwhtly said:
It's the way of things, in my experience, that when people say this, they don't Really think there's anything wrong with you. Just that you are different.
I know 'different' sounds like a euphamism (like 'Special'), but I mean it. You are different enough to these people to make them notice it.

That is not a fault. In fact I would view it as one of your greatest attributes (apart from the swimsuit pics of course ;)), because who wants to be another faceless member of the crowd?
Nobody, that's who.

But that may just apply to me and the people I know.

Ignore or ridicule, as you see fit.

I appreciate this sentiment and I would love if this were true, but I really believe they would argue with you and tell you, no. not different. wrong. sick and wrong. (I've been told that before too. "Trish, you are sick and wrong.") Nice.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Look hurt and tell them you suffer from acute polysyllabic epigrammatist syndrome and there is no cure.:)

Just take it as a compliment, you are smart, witty, fun - and your life is interesting enough that your friends want to hear about it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
BottomlessCup said:
Intricate thought infuriates the bozos: that there are ideas that are impossible to understand, works of art that are impossible to fathom, music that creates unbearable passion -- all of this humiliates the average man, who invents his own understandable thoughts, fathomable art, and hummable tunes. What was never meant for him, the work that aims at intelligences greater and nobler than his own, he plots to destroy.

-R.B. Grossman

Fvck the bozos.

I think Fvck the bozos is going in my new sigline, BCup.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Bmwhtly said:
OK, i was vaguely serious before, but now I see my mistake. Here's the Real answer.

whenever someone asks you that:

1. Freeze
2. Turn slowly to look into their eyes.
3. Don't blink.
4. Say, in a hushed but urgent voice somewhere between a murmur and a whisper, "Pinkle Squirmy Blib Blab Blob"

You can vary number 4 with things like "You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" or "Did you know that If is the middle word in Life" or whatever.

(BTW anyone who identifies all 3 quotes there gets a big, fat rep point)

better. better.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
I appreciate this sentiment and I would love if this were true, but I really believe they would argue with you and tell you, no. not different. wrong. sick and wrong. (I've been told that before too. "Trish, you are sick and wrong.") Nice.
Who are they to judge what is wrong. or sick for that matter.
It may just be because I’m well on my way to losing my faith in humanity that this occurs to me.
Isn’t it possible, if not probable, that there is nothing wrong with you. You are after all friendly, enthusiastic, intelligent and charming. Whereas if They (this is the They that worship celebrities as if they actually accomplish anything, would mortgage a kidney for a designer label, believe a new haircut and plastic surgery will solve all their problems, and so on) lived outside this consumerist, western bubble for any length of time, they would either become more normal (that’s what You are) or die.
What is it you do that is so ‘sick and wrong’? was it something wildly taboo in our society? Did you express an original thought? Criticise someone famous? Suggest that the system isn’t perfect? Speak without dribbling?

Even without that rant (I got sidetracked – too much coffee), what does it matter what They think of you? Is Their opinion so influential? Will your life fall apart if They disagree with you?

You can take what you like from that.
(I don’t see where the ignore button is, but I’m sure you’ll find it)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru said:
and your life is interesting enough that your friends want to hear about it.

you mean my life is chaotic and unmanageable enough that they think it's funny? That they don't feel like complete spazzes when they talk to me because I out-spaz them all? That if there is a reason to get neurotic and twitchy, I can get there faster than they can? Or maybe that my view of reality is just screwed up enough that their reality doesn't seem so bad.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With your sense of humor and outgoing personality, perhaps these people are comfortable enough with you to pass this all off as a joke. Have you ever mentioned to them that you think you're messed up? Sometimes friends pick up on our own self-deprecating humor and feel comfortable enough to further the joke. It may not be malicious in that event. Sometimes people who aren't that familiar with you may overhear friends and you joking about it, and feel it's okay to jump in with similar comments.

Are you having an emotional crisis over this? I haven't gained an impression that you are in any "screwed up." You seem to be a capable, conscientious, enjoyable person. Your opinions expressed here seem reasonable and compassionate.

I'm tempted to throw in some gut-punch joke here, but I don't think it's the time or place.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Bmwhtly said:
Who are they to judge what is wrong. or sick for that matter.
It may just be because I’m well on my way to losing my faith in humanity that this occurs to me.
Isn’t it possible, if not probable, that there is nothing wrong with you. You are after all friendly, enthusiastic, intelligent and charming. Whereas if They (this is the They that worship celebrities as if they actually accomplish anything, would mortgage a kidney for a designer label, believe a new haircut and plastic surgery will solve all their problems, and so on) lived outside this consumerist, western bubble for any length of time, they would either become more normal (that’s what You are) or die.
What is it you do that is so ‘sick and wrong’? was it something wildly taboo in our society? Did you express an original thought? Criticise someone famous? Suggest that the system isn’t perfect? Speak without dribbling?

Even without that rant (I got sidetracked – too much coffee), what does it matter what They think of you? Is Their opinion so influential? Will your life fall apart if They disagree with you?

You can take what you like from that.
(I don’t see where the ignore button is, but I’m sure you’ll find it)

strangely, it doesn't really matter what they think. I suppose they consider that something that's wrong with me as well. I'm pretty low-maintenance compared to a lot of women. A little too laid back, find odd things funny, disregard others' opinions quite frequently, have what they might consider "priority issues" -- yes, sometimes writing is more important than housework. Yes, I like to have a beer after work. My husband and I have a unique relationship where we have allowed each other to remain very individual. People in marriages where they have to do everything together have a real problem with this.
there are extremes here. Sometimes it's just that i'm "different" or see things differently or have strange take on something simple. sometimes its that I'm eccentric. sometimes they REALLY think there is something wrong with me because my emotional state, and/or my priorities are different than theirs.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty low-maintenance compared to a lot of women. A little too laid back, find odd things funny, disregard others' opinions quite frequently, have what they might consider "priority issues" -- yes, sometimes writing is more important than housework. Yes, I like to have a beer after work. My husband and I have a unique relationship where we have allowed each other to remain very individual. People in marriages where they have to do everything together have a real problem with this.
there are extremes here. Sometimes it's just that i'm "different" or see things differently or have strange take on something simple. sometimes its that I'm eccentric. sometimes they REALLY think there is something wrong with me because my emotional state, and/or my priorities are different than theirs.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.