Tall Tales of The Bible Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

erslyman

I see the advantages of a heightened sense of humor for both the conservative and the liberal. Humor eases tension. How do we get everyone to not take themselves so seriously?

We all have our points of view. The religious right laugh at the left. The left laughs at the religious right. We often too busy laughing at each other to offer any assitance.

Laughing is a good place to begin communicating with each other. Maybe we can agree on what's funny. I difficult thing to determine.

sdarb

You want me to write what?
Registered
Reaction score
"Right" on erslyman....I consider myself a spiritual, rather than religious person, mainly because I've found if I get caught up in a religion then I'm supposed to take it seriously! Not much help from me about what both sides can agree on what's funny, but I think your observation is a good one.

dale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daledobson.com
I contribute regularly to the Wittenburg Door, the "world's pretty much only religious satire magazine," and find that my declared agnostic status is quite useful for maintaining an "outsider" perspective. When one has a stake in any argument or belief system, it's harder to see it clearly - which can make a valid criticism or a truth-based joke feel like an "attack." I have great respect for religion in its positive aspects, but as a satirist I'm willing to focus on its negatives once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.