PDA

View Full Version : Now it's a scorpion

Gala
09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
I am not exaggerating. When my writing projects are going well, taking off, some stupid weird thing happens, or there's a tragedy.

Tonight it's the stupid weird, on a par with the pack rat that dominated my garage and life last year.

I took a water break, went to the kitchen. A !@#$!@#$ scorpion bit me in the foot!

So I had to call the hospital, poison control, and a neighbor to figure out if I'm going to keel over dead or what.

The consensus is I'll have pain, maybe a few "minor" neurological symptoms like numbness and tingling throughout my limbs, a bit of extra anxiety.

As soon as I saw what had stung my foot, I jumped on the counter. How to kill the scorpion from there? I threw a burner cover on it. My aim wasn't perfect--the beast's head and pincers were sticking out. As I talked to the poison control dude I calmed enough to put plastic over the head and hammer it flat. It's still in there awaiting disposal.

What if there are more? What if they come after me in my bed? What if what if what if land.

And this happened because I refused to sacrifice a few hours writing time to fix the screen door. I can't get it on securely by myself, and no doubt the scorpion got in through the crack.

Death to scorpions :teeth

Tomorrow is a writing day. I shall not be moved.

rtilryarms
09-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow!

Kind of makes me wonder what happens if you win the Pulitzer....

Scorpions are scary

Gala
09-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Ha :grin

I'm very fortunate. Scorpion bites are usually very painful and debilitating. I had a small sting or bite. I called poison control after an hour and they assured me the venom makes you sick right away, if that's what it's going to do. Unlike some other bites that take a while to have effect.

I slept with lights on and no blanket in case any other scorpions were lurking. This morning I disposed of scorpion. God he had a huge tail and stinger! I hate scorpions.

Ah well, it's all grist for the writing mill. Now I've first-hand experience with scorpions, and can write of them authentically.

:ack

rtilryarms
09-14-2004, 08:56 PM
lights on and no blanket
[rt making final adjustments to the webcam secreted behind the door moulding]

macalicious731
09-14-2004, 09:39 PM
If there was one thing I ever worried about invading my house, it was certainly not scorpions! The idea gives me the creeps... I'm sorry you had to experience that!

pina la nina
09-14-2004, 10:08 PM
When I was in Africa the general rule of thumb was: If it hurts worse than anything you've ever felt before, it's probably a scorpion bite. I'm glad yours wasn't that bad! I saw several but were bit by none, just the look of them is enough to chill. Hope you're on the mend!

maestrowork
09-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Mmmmm... scorpion stew...

ChunkyC
09-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Scorpions! :ack Think I'll stay here where there's only bears and cougars in the yard.

Gala
09-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Information is power and dispells fear, right? The more I learn about scorpions the more prickly I feel.

I've been advised to move my bed out from the wall, and remove any bedding that touches ground so they can't come in for a warm nap.

I've been keeping my socks in a paper bag in the closet (no dresser.) I don't think I'm reaching in there for clean socks, thanks.

Garage needs an overhaul. I have my parents stuff in there. Last year it was rats and mice getting into it; now I have to consider SCORPIONS!

Contacts tell me I'm very lucky my sting was so minor. A full sting requires morphine and anti-inflamatories. I took ibuprofen.

No more walking barefoot, putting on shoes w/o checking, or clothes w/o shaking....

:ack

XThe NavigatorX
09-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Man... I live in Tucson, AZ, and I've seen my fair share of deadly critters in and out of the house. When I was a teenager I once fell asleep on the living room floor and woke up with a scorpion sitting about three inches from my nose. Once I went to take out the trash in my bare feet, and I stepped on a tarantula the size of my fist. I've seen bobcats, rattlesnakes, 100s of coyotes, a pissed off gila monster, javelinas, and a very hungry-looking bear uncomfortably close.

But I've never been stung, and I can't imagine what it'd be like. Yikes. Ouch, ouch, ouch!

CindyBidar
09-15-2004, 04:43 AM
Ah well, it's all grist for the writing mill.

Here's hoping I am never able to write authoritatively on that subject. :ack

Hope you're feeling better.

Gala
09-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Thanks. Yep it hurt like heck, area swelled and reddened instantaneously.

Today, only 20 hours later, the swelling has gone down, and a 2-inch diameter area is turning an ugly blue and black. But it doesn't hurt much and hasn't spread far. Amazing since the prick appears to be on top of a vein.

The dude working electric today at Home Depot has also been stung by, and murdered scorpions. He got it near his eye, and right before that, 28 black recluse spider bites near his lip. Yeah, I feel real lucky.

He sold me a black bulb for a regular lamp. Soon I'll be hunting in the dark for the blue-glow of scorpions. I hope so real very bad I do not find any.

After all the stories I've heard today, I will never put shoes on again w/o checking them, same with my clothes. Innocence lost.:ack

Actually pest control people, health dept. and others have been great today over my little fiasco. I know my fear of scorpions is out of porportion to the danger (unless I became allergic.) I just hate 'em and want them all to die. I don't care they are part of nature's cycle.

:evil

littlecupofjoe
09-15-2004, 07:47 AM
I had always found javelinas cute...

This scorpion story reminds me of when I was but a wee lass of 22, I got a job studying coral reefs and monkeys on a small Caribean island that most people have probably never heard of (Nevis).

We got to stay in this huge home full of geckos and roaches. As a wildlife biologist I love all of god's creatures, but roaches..ya know, there just isn't enough love to go around for those beasts, especially when they are drinking from the bucket you let your undergarments soak in.

Anyway, the house was surrounded by lawn. The lawn was covered in holes. I had no idea what lived in those holes. In Canada, the same type of holes are made by chipmunks, so I assumed they had been dug by some cute West-Indian mouse (I was only in my second year of wildlife biology school ok?). There were so many holes, maybe 200, that there was probably a whole mouse colony living there!

One night, I went barefoot, outside, to save my clothes from an impromptu rain storm(I had been too lazy to bring em in earlier). I had gone out with only the indoor lights to guide me. As I headed back in, one of my colleagues lit my way back with a large flashlight.

This is when I found out who was living in the holes...Mice? Ha!

Tarantulas.

Hundreds of fist-sized tarantulas crawling around me, over my bare feel like depraved hairy troglodytes. :o

Ah, the stars of good fortune were by my side that night as not one spider stung me.

And from then on barefootism was banned from my life on the island!!!

No arachnophobia here.

Littlecupofjoe :coffee

P.S.: I hope you are recovering nicely from that sting. I knew a man who got stung in his bed by a scorpion. Eek. I collected it and it is pinned safely with the rest of the arthropods in my collection, after being humanely killed (it was flung in the feezer.)

Gala
09-15-2004, 11:02 AM
I adore javelinas because they keep the coyote population flourishing. I enjoy hearing the howl of excited and hungry coyotes in the wee hours, and that final happy "yip!"

I occassionally see tarantellas, but you're waaaay over the limit with that story. Oh man I'd be spooked worse than now about ever going barefoot again.

Last week on the hiking trail I saw a tarantella heading my way, said hi.

I've not located any more scorpions. All dressed up to kill something, and nothing shows. :nerd

I've moved my bed to the middle of the room and removed the bedskirt. I doubt that'll stop the wall climbing jumpers, but one can hope.

:eek

I recall the most aggressive and large cucarachas of my life in the Dominican Republic. The would actually charge toward one's feet. And even d-con barely killed 'em--they'd evolved. I always liked geckos. We have a small lizard like that here. They supposedly eat small scorpions, but have been falling down on the job lately.

MrAngelwithnowings
09-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Hmmm....

This sounds like a good plot for flash fiction

:rofl

=======================================
THE LAST DAY WRITTEN

Now, its a scorpion. As if, locusts weren't enough.

Gala quickly limped to her screen door to patch the hole as she frantically watched the sky turning dark. Millions of locusts were coming at her fast.

"Oh no...!"

The local newscasts reported that religious groups from all over the world were claiming Armageddon had finally arrived.

======================================

"Pardon my grammar, punctuation, and whatever else" lol

Yeshanu
09-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Hmm...

Maybe I'll keep my pigeons. :grin

aka eraser
09-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Yikes! Scorpions and tarantulas. Makes me nearly fond of our Canadian skitters with 2-foot wingspans.

eraser...who might be exaggerating.

littlecupofjoe
09-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Yeah, living in Canada does have its advantages!

Greenwolf103
09-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Gala, my sympathies! I hope your bite has healed by now. In 10+ years in the desert, I've only seen a scorpion once. BUT I have seen *many* of their cousins, the solpugids. I have had the good fortune of not getting stung by one yet but I heard their sting is VERY PAINFUL. I almost had a heart attack one day when I found one just a few inches away from my daughter, at the time she was a baby and crawling on the floor.

One rule about living in the desert: SHAKE EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PUT IT ON. Oh, and always scout the house for any invading critters.

I have a lizard in my yard, too. It actually came into the house one time. THAT I can live with! Unless it starts attacking, biting, grows huge...

Gala
09-16-2004, 07:54 AM
speaking of screen doors. Today the neighbors son saw me outside and said he'd heard the tale. He came over and helped me adjust the door. Also the lock was on upside down. At least I won't be able to lock myself out any more.

Yes, I called in my warranty on the house on these matters 2 years ago, and was told the door was on correctly, etc.

Now the verticle gap is fixed, but because the door frame isn't square there's a gap at the bottom. I may never leave the glass door open for air again. Not! I'll find a solution.

As we worked the door, I saw a small, colorful arachnidish bug trotting inside the kitchen. Just that fast it got in, and I was watching that threshold so carefully.

I live in the high desert, and the scoop is that the bark scorpions come up from the lowers on wood and trees. It'll be cold here at night soon. Make it soon.

Yeah the black on my foot, which I learned is killed red blood cells from the venom, is going pink today. I am very fortunate it wasn't worse. Thank the angels! (and those vitamin injections and herbs I take.)
====
OMG. I looked up solpugids. I think that's the bug that got in today! Bloody he...... I have it trapped. Vacuum party again tonight.

littlecupofjoe
09-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Vacuum party again tonight

:rofl

Gala
09-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Dawn, I'm glad you caught that bug before it could vampire your baby ;)

I'm starting to get over my fear of every bug and shadow I see.

You know, when that thing stung me, I thought, "So this is how it all ends. I've lived through all manner of challenges and come out very happy, only to die of a bug sting."

I had thought scopion stings were more sure to kill than anything. And learned this one does kill some. Not my time to go.

My writing projects are going extra hot this week. I do well under pressure.

I hate to vacuum. :ack

Betty W01
09-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Gala, thank you for reminding me why I'm glad I no longer live in Florida or anywhere else you find scorpions and tarantulas wandering around loose...

Glad you came out of it OK. Shake those shoes and stuff in the future, girl!

Bartholomew
08-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Arise, O Ancient Thread! Bwahahaha.

Cliff Face
08-20-2010, 05:02 AM
This thread ate my brain and turned me into a zombie.

Now I have an unquenchable thirst for pickled onions and BRAAAAINNNSSS!!!