Today was my day to get screwed over

Status
Not open for further replies.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
Is this bizarr-o, or what?
Over the weekend, I viewed a lovely chunk of land with an 1890 farm house on it. Needs lots of work but charming, etc., etc. On Sunday, I put in an offer. Full price, no contingencies. Today, my offer gets accepted. Overjoyed family goes out for ice cream and drive over to walk about the new property (no one is currently living there).
As we are walking, a neighbor comes over to chat. She mentions the sub-division of the land.
What subdivision? I ask innocently.
Oh, the property owners sub-divided all the land, didn't I know?
I go home and review my contract/offer, get online and review the tax parcel number and line it up with county records, etc....all looks fine! The amount of land the realtor indicated, the maps, and the contract all match up.....
Then I get the idea to contact a member of the planning board. She tells me the property was approved for subdivision into tiny little lots on THURSDAY, too recent for county records to be updated.
I call the realtor and flip out.
What the hell am I buying? She hems and haws, clearly has no clue, and "calls someone". "Someone" apparently tells her my offer was accepted on the terms that I was getting one of the tiny little lots, with the house on it. The land wasn't part of the deal. Even though it says so in my offer, prepared by aforementoned realtor.
Thank God I did some research.
Never trust a realtor, and never take your family out to celebrate a new house that someone just snuck a subdivision through and screwed you over.
I'll be taking my Pepcid AC now, and putting a cold compress to my head.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, cree that sucks. Big time.
I don't know if there's anything you can do about it, or even if you want to . . . but, damn.
I'm glad you found out before and not after.

I reread your post. Is the listing realtor the same person that you've been dealing with? It could be that your realtor got screwed over, too. It happens. The buyer's agent and the seller's agent are often 2 different people in two different companies.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Cree, I hope you had a lawyer review the offer. Can you get out of it? There was no full disclosure there, for sure. This ticks me off.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Someone" apparently tells her my offer was accepted on the terms that I was getting one of the tiny little lots, with the house on it. The land wasn't part of the deal. Even though it says so in my offer, prepared by aforementoned realtor.

How many and whose signatures are on your paperwork and do you know any attorneys? If it's all signed and the agreement states you get the whole nine yards - you may be entitled to the whole nine yards and how nice of them to subdivide it for you.

If the paperwork is in your favor - watch your back.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a nasty surprise. I once almost got suckered into a contract on a great house, then the slipped in some verbiage about probate. Uh, probate? Turns out the title to the house was still in litigation in the family. The previous owners were a married couple. The elderly husband had killed his spouse (mercy killing aparently) and then himself (suicide pact.) The siblings were fighting it out in probate court, but as soon as it was resolved, the house was mine. I don't think so Sparky.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
She was the listing agent. She said she would get me out of the deal, since the error was hers (she got jittery when i mentioned that the legal action would be directed firmly at her for negligently misrepresenting the property).
My husband just came into my office with a handwritten contract and requested my signature for the purchase of "One Brooklyn Bridge, including girders and stanchions."
At least one of us has a sense of humor. :)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Curious. I'd check with a lawyer first.

How nice of them to 'let you out' of something. Hmmm.

Unique's first rule of business: Trust No One.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
That sucks. Makes an interesting article of the local paper though, don't you think?

cree

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, I could take this to the next level. But we just don't have the heart, or energy, or even time, to do it. Lame excuse, but I'm prioritizing....and I just can't fit it in. Maybe next time I'm getting screwed, I'll be just a little bit wiser.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I dunno, Cree, like Unique said, you've got a signed piece of paper that says you own the property. Says you own all of it. Including all those tiny lots that weren't added in. Oops. I'd check w/ a lawyer, first and find out how much it would cost for them to buy back their subdivision. Just sayin'.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
cree said:
I agree, I could take this to the next level. But we just don't have the heart, or energy, or even time, to do it. Lame excuse, but I'm prioritizing....and I just can't fit it in. Maybe next time I'm getting screwed, I'll be just a little bit wiser.
Maybe. But don't give up on the human spirit. Not all people are evil. I keep telling myself this ever time someone screws me over. :welcome:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Maybe. But don't give up on the human spirit. Not all people are evil. I keep telling myself this ever time someone screws me over.

Yes, but if you hope for the best while you expect the worst you'll never be disappointed but occasionally be pleasantly surprised.

Works for me.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Unique said:
Yes, but if you hope for the best while you expect the worst you'll never be disappointed but occasionally be pleasantly surprised.

Works for me.
Ah, wisdom from such youth is indeed inspiring.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Real estate laws kick in here. The contract is flawed if it did not state there was a subdivison in the works. The realtor has to know this, unless she's lazy, stupid or both.

If she won't help don't bother with the 'ethics board' she most likely belongs to. Go straight to the licensing board.

Don't forget, she is required to have 'error and ommissions' insurance as a rela estate professional. If you have to sue her, the money will be there for damages. Call your lawyer, fast.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Yes, really. Understand it's human nature and you can live with it. I doubt you'll ever become immune to the terrible feeling when someone -- anyone -- hurts you emotionally, financially, or physically. Doesn't it make you stronger though?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
SpookyWriter said:
Yes, really. Understand it's human nature and you can live with it. I doubt you'll ever become immune to the terrible feeling when someone -- anyone -- hurts you emotionally, financially, or physically. Doesn't it make you stronger though?
gawd, you're slow tonight :D
I edited your post, you knucklehead :ROFL:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Not like I'm going to get (u know what) anytime soon. I am a monk among writers. (going on five years now and still -- uh...not lightbulbed)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
I dunno, Cree, like Unique said, you've got a signed piece of paper that says you own the property. Says you own all of it. Including all those tiny lots that weren't added in. Oops. I'd check w/ a lawyer, first and find out how much it would cost for them to buy back their subdivision. Just sayin'.

Well, that's not exactly right. They have a paper that says their offer was accepted. Pretty binding in and of itself but they wouldn't actually own it until closing and transfer of the deed. Real estate law is something that definitely varies by state so it's worth an attorney's opinion anyway.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Yup. Know the feeling. Being a monkette. does anyone read this stuff....

watch the # of views....
:D

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Yup. Know the feeling. Being a monkette. does anyone read this stuff....
Nah, it's not like Playboy or a (what mags do women read?)...sex is so over-rated...especially if you have to talk to them afterwards...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.