Not open for further replies.

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
Hi,

In my WIP, a fantasy novel, two characters have a duel with swords. I have the book Fighting with the German Longsword by Christian Henry Tobler to get a few ideas from, but my problem is that the characters aren't using German longswords. Their swords are a bit shorter, probably have narrower blades, and are slightly curved. These people mostly use their swords from horseback, but here they're fighting on foot. So my question is really how different would the feel of a duel using these swords be from one using longswords? (I'm not planning on writing the whole duel in a technical sense blow by blow, but I want to convey the feel of what it's like.)

Thank you for any thoughts or advice you can give me.
KiwiChick

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
look up the Prussian "Blucher" Sabre. Let me know if that is what style you had in mind.

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
rtilryarms said:
look up the Prussian "Blucher" Sabre. Let me know if that is what style you had in mind.

Can I say "tentatively, yes"? The tentatively because I'd like to know the implications of a yes before I commit, and I'm not sure about the part on the hilt that goes right around the hand - when I've imagined them fighting before their swords never had them. Perhaps you can tell me a good reason why they should...?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure.
Almost any saber will work, from medieval to more recent Calvary times. You can make up your own fighting style or explore the techniques of the times for a particular sworsman's age.
They were trained on horseback and off; One-on-one and mass attack defenses; Aggressive attacks and retreat strategies. Fighting was their life and the sword was their soulmate.

So pick a time period and study their methods. If you still need help we can aid on specifics. There are other weapon masters here too.

jsh

Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer, but you can try poking around the ARMA site. The videos might be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.