German accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubiefan

Registered
Reaction score
One of my main characters is a college professor, in his mid-60s, who was born and raised in Germany. English is his second language, but he is well-educated and extremely fluent, with a broad vocabulary and a fondness for big words. I am having a little bit of trouble with creating a characteristic "voice" for him in writing dialogue, does anyone know of any good examples of how to write a German accent of someone who is not a native speaker but is proficient in English? I don't want to sacrifice his vocabulary, that's important, but I was just trying to figure out what speech patterns I could use to make his dialogue more convincing and interesting.

Any advice is extremely appreciated, thanks!

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Since he is a well-educated man speaking a second language, I would have him using excessively correct grammar, possibly even leaving out contractions. Demonstrate he's learned his language by book-learnin' more than from talking with native speakers.

It frequently drives me bonkers when an author tends to spell out accents phonetically, so I wouldn't advise doing that.

Zisel

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, double post. It logged me out while I was typing.

Last edited:

Zisel

Registered
Reaction score

I would have him using excessively correct grammar, possibly even leaving out contractions.
If he learned from books back in Germany then yes, as MadScientist said, excessively correct grammar would be expected. If he was a refugee who was suddenly thrown into Anglophoneland and had to learn English on the fly, though, then he’ll have picked up natural usage, probably with some grammar quirks. Just in my limited experience, I’ve not known Germans to leave out contractions. After all, they have contractions in their own language (like in "Wie geht's", "beim", "ins" etc.)

I agree that spelling accents out is awfully annoying and usually ends up rather farcical. I usually express characters’ non-native speaking differences using incorrect grammar or sentence structure (for example, Russians leaving out articles). If you can’t find any Germans to listen to, try doing a search for .de sites (in Google, enter the search term plus "site:.de") and on sites that aren't very well written, note what errors are made. Also, here are some short lists of some typical mistakes made by German speakers, courtesy of an ESL teaching site: http://www.sprachcoach.de/lessons.html and http://www.sprachcoach.de/checklist.html. There are probably others out there.

(Edited to add: Prepositions! They're the bugaboo of lots of learners of English and one of the last differences to disappear from a non-native's speech. If nothing else, he'd probably get a few prepositions wrong.)

And maybe, since he loves language so much, he might occasionally fuss over the words and grammar possibilities that exist in German, but not in English. For instance, in German the subjunctive is very much alive, whereas in English it’s seriously atrophied. He might feel this limits his ability to express himself. Also, when quoting German philosophers and writers, he might prefer to quote them in German first then translate/explain in English, like people do with “Ding an sich.”

All of this can be woven into the scenes, too, because it affects communication. This isn’t German, but to illustrate, there’s a beautifully done scene in Nabokov’s Pnin where Professor Pnin, a Russian immigrant, is upset after his wife leaves him. Sobbing, he tells his landlady he’s looking for "vicious and sawdust." ("I search the vicious and sawdust," I think it was.) The landlady says something like, "Oh, dear. I think we’re all out of whisky and soda." So, when your professor is nervous or upset, the errors in that the sprachcoach.de list might start to slip out and compound his problems.

Sorry to ramble. Favorite subject. :)

Z

Last edited:

DanielZKlein

Hi,

I'm a 26 year old German student of English literature who speaks English very well but has a seriously strong accent. I don't think there could be a better person to answer this thread ;P

First of all, I agree with the poster above who said that oftentimes, spelling out phonetic differences can be annoying/gimmicky. I tried with a Russian character once and it ended up farcical, but that was alright in that case since the character was mostly comic relief anyway.

Now, I have two options for you: either I can give you my own impressions on how you could transcribe phonetically accented English spoken by a fluent German native speaker, or I could simply link you to a rather long sound file of myself reading something.

I happen to have a sound file like that lying around on my server anyway. It's me reading one of my older short stories, and it's full of pronunciation mistakes.

I'm not going to link to that, though, without being asked for it, because that would just feel... weird. ;)

So here's my short list of things that Germans do when speaking English:

1) Endlautverhärtung. Isn't that a pretty German word? It means "final consonant devoicing." Without giving you a proper lecture in phonetics (which I'm not sure at all you'd need), it means that certain shifts appear in the end of words in German (and a lot of other languages; I know, for instance, that Polish does the same thing). Some of these shifts are:
  • d --> t
  • g --> k
  • z --> s
The problem with this is that it's partly a lie ;) (and here is where the lesson in phonetics begins). The "voicedness" of a consonant depends on a lot of things; the amount of vibration in your vocal chords while producing the sound is only factor, and not the most important either. The length of the preceding vowel, for instance (long vowel: voiced, short vowel: devoiced). However, these things happen automatically in the mind of an English native speaker, so if you write that your German professor says "back" when he means "bag" and "hat" when he means "head", they will know what's going on.

2) w. We don't have it. The sound that is formed by bringing your lips close together and then moving them apart again while air passes through them. We really don't have anything like it, and while it's easy enough for a German speaker to imitate the sound perfectly when he concentrates on it, it will often slip his mind. It's the phonetic error I commit most often these days. Transcribe the resulting sound as a v. Note: this doesn't happen to me very often, especially not in word initial position, where it is very easy to produce this sound. However, there are certain constellations that make the w-->v slip especially likely and in which it happens to me almost all of the time if I don't pay attention. The most difficult of those is post t: twenty, for instance. I almost always say tventy. My girlfriend loves it, but it irks me since I actually do want to speak flawless English SOME day ;P

3) v. Your v is our w. Confusing? It is, to us. In English, v means a voiced labiodental fricative, and f is the voiceless labiodental fricative. Very vs ferry. In German, BOTH f and v are voiceless labiodental fricatives and w is the voiced labiodental fricative. (okay, that's a lie, again; German w is typically produced as a voiced labiodental APPROXIMANT, but hey, I wasn't gonna give you a lecture in phonetics ;P). Hence we sometimes forget to voice English v. This doesn't happen to me very often, but something else related to English v does: when there are many words beginning, alternatingly, with w and v, and when I'm paying special attention to the ws, I sometimes switch the two around or even turn a v into an approximant (I've said "wery well" before).

4) th. Now this is the big cliché concerning Germans speaking English, of course, and I'd really hoped that it was just that--a stupid cliché, an exaggeration of our more clueless English speakers--until I had my first English class in high school. Of course we don't have this sound either, and yes it is at first difficult to produce this sound, but once you've figured that out (and unless it happens in constellations like sixths, which is insane) it should be trivial! Not so for most Germans, it seems. The common replacement is /z/, while /f/ is a lot less common but not entirely rare. Typically one speaker sticks to one way of avoiding the th sound.

There are a lot more things that German speakers typically get wrong--especially in the area of vowels there is a LOT of variation; the two languages hardly share a single vowel sound EXACTLY (that is to say, German vowels tend to be produced slightly differently from the seemingly corresponding English vowel). My professor of Phonetics wrote an EXCELLENT course book called The Phonetics and Phonology of English Pronunciation, which is aimed specifically at German students and hence highlights all these little differences. I happen to own it (is it ethical for a professor to list his own book as required reading? I don't know, but this book was so wonderful that I almost changed my major to English linguistics), so if you need more examples, I could provide you with some (these four were cited from memory, so if I got anything wrong, don't blame Professor Barry).

Regarding nonphonetic mistakes I must say Amen to the poster who mentioned prepositions. As recently as two days ago I've had to go and ask a native speaker whether I should use "in" or "at" in front of the name of an internment camp. I do have a good stomach feeling most of the time, and I did tend toward at in this case ("At <whatever camp>, <some female character> received no medical treatment for her pregnancy"), but once I stopped and thought about it, I confused myself. Also, obviously, collocations: you don't do mistakes, you make mistakes. Idioms and proverbs should be pretty obvious as well, but figuring out the German equivalent so your character could translate it literally into English may be a little difficult. You can ask me, or you can google for a list of German proverbs/idioms. For instance, instead of saying "he bit the dust", your character could say "he bit the grass", which is what we say in German.

And if you really want to listen to an authentic German speaker making lots of mistakes, ask me and I'll link you to that audio file.

DanielZKlein

Thank you :) I really don't know why I didn't join earlier. I'm also hoping to acquire good karma in the research forums because I'm sure I'll pester you all with obscure questions sooner rather than later.

angel-of-rosez

Let's see if I got this right

Wow, that was helpful, DanielZKlein--do you know of any site that has a translator page? Just so we don't make a fool of ourselves when trying to attempt to write this accent down :D

Otherwise...here's an example of what I've gotten from your tips~

English--
"Well, well, well. What do we have here? I thought we'd never see you. Especially after the rumors and all."

Attempt at a German Accent :tongue --
“Vell, vell, vell. Vhat to ve hawe here? I zoukht ve’d newer see you. Especially after ze rumors ant all."

Am I totally abusing your tips, or am I getting the right idea? :Huh:

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Love your accent in that last one Angel. :)

Another mistake made when under stress could be the word order in sentences. In English the compound verbs cluster together, but in German everything but the first component shifts to the end of the clause. So in English we would say, I have forgotten it. In German it would be, I have it forgotten. I've edited a lot of academic papers in Englilsh by native German speakers, and the tendency is for the verb to shift to the end of the sentence or clause whenever they are not conscious of it.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
angel-of-rosez said:
Wow, that was helpful, DanielZKlein--do you know of any site that has a translator page? Just so we don't make a fool of ourselves when trying to attempt to write this accent down :D

Otherwise...here's an example of what I've gotten from your tips~

English--
"Well, well, well. What do we have here? I thought we'd never see you. Especially after the rumors and all."

Attempt at a German Accent :tongue --
“Vell, vell, vell. Vhat to ve hawe here? I zoukht ve’d newer see you. Especially after ze rumors ant all."

Am I totally abusing your tips, or am I getting the right idea? :Huh:

When Daniel wrote that our "W" is their 'V" and so on, he didn't mean they pronounce our 'V's as 'W's! ;)

So, until Daniel corrects it, here's a less accurate correction:

"Vell, vell, vell. Vat have we here?" (break) Think of pronouncing it has "hahve" with the 'here' being very accented on the first part and spoken very quickly. "I zought we'd never zee you. Especially after ze rumors und all!" (the German translation of 'and' is 'und', which sounds very much like our 'and' so most likely it'd be kept).

If I could remember how they're spelled I'd give a better demonstration.

We say "Vienna". They say "Wein"
We say 'wine'. They say "wien" (the two could be transposed, I always got that one wrong and can't find my German dictionary!)
We say "William" they say "Vilhem"

The above are NOT direct pronunciations but rather translations as illustrative examples.

Much like Gaelic, the German language does not have a lot of soft sounds. So the 'g's are hard such as in "flughaven" (where we'd pronounce it flue-afen' they would say 'flug-ha-ven')

I'm trying to remember the rules for 'c' if it gets a soft sound or not and if I could remember a word with 'c' in it, I'd be more helpful. But a lot of times, what we would pronounce as a hard 'c' they would write as a 'k'. What we would pronounce as a soft 'c' they would write as a 's' or 'z'.

Cat = kat

Something else you might want to consider for your character is having him pepper his phrases with the correct German word, much like Jews do with Yiddish or Hebrew...or like I do with simple German phrases that I've remembered over time.

I find myself very often asking "Was is das?" instead of saying "what?" or "What is that?" (probably not correct). Or "TTag! Wie geht's?" instead of 'hello'. When it's with people I know very well, I say "Mein fruenden!"

So, maybe in your above example it could also go like this:

"Was ist das!? Vat do ve have here? Ve zought we'd never see you. Especially after ze rumors und alles."

Or, maybe by peppering with German you can establish his nationality and language peccadillos without writing out the silly accents and let the reader put it in for you:

"Was ist das?!? What do we have here? We tought we'd never see you. Especially after the rumors und alles."

Hope all this isn't too rambling and somewhat helpful:

Rabe...

Last edited:

angel-of-rosez

thanks!

wow! *bowing* what an edit!~ That's so kind of you to do so, Rabe! :D thanks for all your guys' help...its interesting to try to figure out how to write an accent you don't speak, nor hardly hear...but attempt to teach yourself with your guys' hints XD but they help so much! *hugs*

~Snow

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Was ist das?!? What do we have here? We tought we'd never see you. Especially after the rumors und alles."

Forgive me, Aubiefan, but I think that approach is just plain daft.

Maybe I am misunderstanding all these posts but why on earth does one need to use any phonetic spelling at all - I think it looks silly.

If I know the Professor is German, and as you say, well educated and fluent in English, I will interpret his dialogue (written in plain English because he is fluent) with what I believe to be a touch of a German accent on words I know Germans sometimes falter over. I don't need to be told.

I only need very, very, very slight and very occasional reminders -if any - perhaps another character could comment on an accent he can't quite place or the Professor slips in a common German word when relaxed. Herr? Frau? Wunderbar!

Seems to me his 'voice' will be determined by his character - not the fact that it has to be stressed to me that he speaks with a German accent.

It's not essential, but if he has a germanic name, that alone is a constant reminder every time it appears in a dialogue tag - no?

Last edited:

davids

Banned
Reaction score
There goes that Bufty again giving terrific advice-as a fluent speaker of German-although a good old yankee-this would seem the best sollution to this situation-well done Bufty old chap!!!!

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Since your characters English is fluent you could add a minor character such as a maid or a phone call where he switches languages briefly. You might want to pick a German speaking role model like Henry Kissinger. Your character's German background might come out in intellectual pride in the tradition of his education. "We German's" or reference to German poets.........
Kentuk

Status
Not open for further replies.