Looking for a book on guns

DVGuru

Plays too many video games
Registered
Reaction score
Someone told me once about a book specifically for writers about guns. I'm not sure of the title or author. Does a book like this exist?

Any other good books or websites about guns? I want to make sure I get all my facts straight.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
DVGuru said:
Someone told me once about a book specifically for writers about guns. I'm not sure of the title or author. Does a book like this exist?

Any other good books or websites about guns? I want to make sure I get all my facts straight.

If you have any specific questions, you can certainly ask here. There are a lot of folks in this group who know about guns.

bjb

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Try to get the latest edition as the 1st edition of Armed and Dangerous had a considerable number of errors.

Also try:
In the Gravest Extreme by Massad F. Ayoob--who has a massive number of atricles published on firearms, so check to see if he's got a website.

and Armed Response (etc) by David S. Kenik and Massad F. Ayoob.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Choose a direction.

Augh -- you would ask just as I'm trying to straighten out my files....

And now Amazon's hidden their "Advanced Search" feature as well. Okay, from memory, then.

The Writers Digest series is pretty good, though double-check any key info you extract for your story, as I've heard some dark mutterings about "facts" sometimes being based more on misremembered Perry Mason episodes than current science.

The Diagram Group used to have a very nice large hardcover that traced the evolution of the firearm with useful comments & good illustrations. It's enough to make you authoritative about a wide variety of handguns & rifles, & doesn't "geek out" with technical terms.

If you've got a particular manufacturer in mind, there's usually at least one book for each.

Ah, good -- I just found one of my crime-scene notebooks. A title that might be useful: Vincent DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

I've got a list of related books & videos, including more than you'd ever want to know about bloodstain pattern analysis. Lemme know if that'd be handy.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
This website has all sorts of great demonstrations (a la mythbusters) about what different kind of ammo will do and won't do, clearing up myths and misconceptions. It's the most fascinating website. First time I went there, i stayed for probably an hour.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
DVGuru said:
Thanks. I'll check out those books and sites. I found one website I thought was useful.

http://hunter-ed.com/mi/course/ch2_objectives.htm

Check your local used book stores. My father had an interest in hand arms, and I took his books when he died. Of course, that means none of my characters can be armed with anything earlier than 1993...