Celebrating Ten Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
It is now just after midnight, Monday September 4th. Maybe that doesn't mean a whole lot to you besides Labor Day, but it means the world to me.

Today, I celebrate my tenth year of sobriety.

Don't misunderstand. I wasn't that drunk in the gutter kind of drinker nor was I the crack house kind of drug user. I was the suburban housewife kind of drinker and recreational drug user. I held a very responsible job, was raising a child all by myself, owned a house and a red sports car -- your typical suburban dream come true. The only thing missing was a white picket fence.

But I could see it coming. Things were falling apart around me. I was just liking it too much, finding it too easy to just come home from work, light up a joint and slide myself around a bottle of vodka.

So, without going into great detail (although the story is a very good one - my million tiny pieces really are a million tiny pieces) I found myself in rehab on September 4th, 1996. I had my last drink and joint the day before. I spent 28 days in rehab getting to know myself all over again -- getting to know myself sober. There was a solar eclipse that month and I watched it through the window of my room in a full lockdown rehab. I also celebrated my 43rd birthday there.

Was it hard? You bet. Is it still hard? Yes and no. I can honestly say I really think I don't miss it. Of course, being me, I love to tease my son when we go out to dinner by ordering a Grey Goose martini (I loved them with maraschino cherries in them). That's just ME. Humor has always gotten me through the baddest of bad times.

At first, I had a rough time. I felt deprived. I didn't think I would ever be able to go anywhere again. How do you go out dancing, listening to music in bars, out to dinner with friends? How do you go to cocktail parties and not "cocktail"? It took me a year or two, but I found out the answer. You just DO. You go and you tell yourself NO.

I even learned that you can go to Grateful Dead concerts and not get stoned. Did you know that at any Grateful Dead related concert, there is an NA meeting called Wharf Rats at intermission? Just look for the yellow balloons. I went to my first concert - the Further Festival - about a year later. I took my son to the concert and to the meeting.

Now, I gotta tell you, I'm not a big book totin' hardcore Friend of Bill kind of AA person. I don't attend weekly meetings, but I know they are there for me if I need them. For 10 years, a meeting schedule has hung proudly from the side of my refridgerator. If I need a meeting, I go and find what I need to keep me from picking up. In 10 years, I haven't picked up ONCE.

So, why am I doing this now? Simple. Because my 12th step says it is necessary for me to pass on what I have learned if I am to keep going. The 12 steps are something nobody ever completes, but we do get to that point when we are ready to pass on to others our experiences and our joy in sobriety.

This is my gift to myself and to everyone else -- if you can take anything from it, that's great. If you don't need it, that's great, too.

Happy and sober, Persi

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
That's great Persi!! Congrats to you for remaining sober, and for making the right decision. It's so easy to keep on drinking and doing drugs, it takes a lot of strenght to pull out of that. Way to go! :D

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, good job! I never quit anything, but if I did it would be drinking and smoking. I rarely get drunk, so until it because too big of a problem I'll take a few steps back and cut down even further.

Thanks!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Persi - someone close to me went through rehab and AA. It is truly amazing the strength it takes to make it sober after a life of using.
I'm proud of you.

September 3rd - today - has a special meaning for me. An anniversary of sorts.
After being married for 5 years, horrible marriage. I made a choice to divorce. Finally. It should have ended much sooner, it should have never started. It was a nightmare marriage and took everything I had to convince myself that I really could make it alone.
Well I did. I filed for divorce, got him out of the house during the time I was looking for a new place, found a job in a new city, packed my ****, and got out of dodge. On September 3rd, I drove 5 hours with a loaded car including my golden retriever, moving truck following somewhere behind and I pulled into my new town, to start my new life, alone.
As I pulled into town, something amazing happened. I had to get to know myself all over again. I didn't know what to do with myself. At the stoplight at the end of town, a song came on the radio. I cried for an hour after. The BoDeans, "Closer to Free". :) That was 7 years ago.
Happy anniversary to both of us for making the RIGHT hard choices.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, and best wishes.

ac

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I've got a niece who turned 46 yesterday... she's been through two 30-day, lock down rehabs and still can't let it go. Seeing how hard it is for her, I have to admire anyone who can make it. Hugs, Persi. And congrats. I'm raising my cup of hot tea in a toast to many, many more years of sobriety for you.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Inspiring, Persi. Your message is wonderful for its blunt honesty. It should be broadcast beyond AW.

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Persi, because it is so much easier to make the wrong decision.
And also to Trish. I admire both of you.

-Ally

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Persi, congratulations on 10 years! What a huge accomplishment. I have a family member who is addicted to drugs, and watching him relapse time and time again is so disheartening. I can't even imagine the strength and fortitude it has taken to do what you've done.

Trish, good for you and happy anniversary to you too! You made a tough and probably terrifying decision, and it took courage to make your life better. Congratulations on 7 years!

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to both Persi and Trish!!! Sometimes finding strength is the hardest thing to do. I admire you both!

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
A story of strength indeed, Persi. Thank you for sharing with us.

Trish, starting over can be so frightening. You are proof it can be done, and done well.

Best,

Karen

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Persi! What an awesome story of strength! It's amazing what we come across in our lives that make us weak and then later find strength from.

Status
Not open for further replies.