Phone calls to Alaska about 20 years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.A.Gardener

Registered
Reaction score
I can remember calling people in Alaska back about 20 years ago, and there would be pauses. Something like a radio transmission... I would talk, then there would be a slight pause of 2 seconds or so, then the other person would talk. You had to be careful to let the other person finish because if you didn't, it could get very confusing.

Anyone remember this and know why it happened this way?

Thanks!

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Around 25 years ago, Alascom launched it's first telecommunications satellite. It was the first telecommunications satellite dedicated to the state of Alaska and I think one of goals was to improve long distance. They launched a second satellite to replace the first one in the early 90s.

I am not sure if it is related to the pauses your remember, but it could have something to do with either causing the pauses or correcting them...just my guess.:)

WindWeaver

Registered
Reaction score
I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska 22 years ago. It was frustrating calling the states. You could never share a laugh together, because you couldn't hear the other person laughing at the same time. I always felt I had to over exagerate my responses because of the delay so the other person would hear them.

M.A.Gardener

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I remember. It was frustrating. But what caused it? And does it still happen now?

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
M.A.,
Echo suppressors and satellite delay are probably the cause. Look at the problems described with echo suppressors here . It lists one problem called "Clipping" where you lose the speakers first syllable. Also, I found an old article doing a google search that you might find interesting here.

Hope this helps!

M.A.Gardener

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Oarsman. That's helpful info. I'm thinking of the "clipping" more than the echo. I can't remember the echo happening to me, but I can remember learning to pause a couple of seconds after hearing the other person so that they would be able to hear me. It's been an interesting phenomenon to try to write - almost like a dialect. Always good to have a challenge like this!
Mary

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
And does it still happen now?
Yes.

When my sister is in the Maldives talking to me in Sri Lanka, we get that time delay effect. Possibly has something to do with all the undersea cables the phone conversation has to go through, or the substandard telephone equipment used here that was probably installed during WWII... In some other country, and then, when that country upgraded, sold to Sri Lanka and installed here. After it rusted in some warehouse in yet another tropical country before it made its way here.

No, no, I don't think telephone service here is terrible at all. Why do you ask? :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.