Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieOhi

Will Write For Chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkygirl.com
I wanted to share this anecdote in case it helps others who may go through the same thing.

I recently sent out a manuscript for a middle reader novel through my agent. It was rejected by the first editor, but I was encouraged by the fact that the editor read to the end and also included detailed comments about why she couldn't accept the mss.

I posted about this on my blog, and an author friend of mine wrote back and suggested that I find out if the editor would be willing re-read if I incorporated her suggestions.

"As a general rule, if an editor takes the time to make detailed comments what they're actually saying is 'if you make these changes, I would love to consider the book again, more seriously'. They've already given you the commitment of their time but because they're not willing to offer a more concrete commitment, they can't ask. To a certain extent, they're wondering if you're capable of rewriting to editorial demand. Unless you vehemently disagree with the changes they've suggested, it might be worth your while to email them and find out if this is one of those times."

So I did contact the editor again through my agent and lo and behold, she said she'd be delighted to re-read my revised mss (!).

I figure that even if the editor rejects it again, my mss will be that much stronger for my changes (I agreed with all her suggestions) and have more of a chance of getting accepted by the next editor.

This was a revelation to me...in the nonfiction (magazine industry) world, I've found that a rejection tends to be a rejection. Now I'm realizing that this may not necessarily be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.