Book plates for when book sells out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I want to get some book plates for when a shop sells out my book during a signing (yes it does happen) or when people want a signed copy but won't be anywhere near any of my events.

Does anybody have any advice or experience with this? I was thinking it would be good to have something personalized, but I don't want it to be too obviously promotional. I don't want it to be too tacky or cheap looking, because it needs to carry the implication that the signature is valuable and that I value their purchase and their readership.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I get mine here. I prefer plain bookplates, myself, but you can get them personalized if you like.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much - looks like exactly what I need.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Just placed my order and should have them next week. You guys make me so efficient! :D

Lance_in_Shanghai

Registered
Reaction score
My interest was piqued by your question but I am confused as to how you use a bookplate to advertise a sold-out book. Maybe I am wrong in thinking a bookplate is like a "This is my book" label inside a book. It sounds like you intend to use them as a type of stand-in for your book when you have no more copies to display. Please explain.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I had mine professionally printed on Avery labels -- I personalized the design to go with the book. I think one of the ideas is to leave a handful with the bookstore, so when they sell out of the signed books, they can order more, slap the signed stickers in the book, and continue to sell them as autographed copies.

I'm also planning to use them as a way to offer signed copies to people who don't feel like paying to ship the whole book to me and back again.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Lance_in_Shanghai said:
My interest was piqued by your question but I am confused as to how you use a bookplate to advertise a sold-out book. Maybe I am wrong in thinking a bookplate is like a "This is my book" label inside a book. It sounds like you intend to use them as a type of stand-in for your book when you have no more copies to display. Please explain.

If I am at a book store or other retail outlet doing a signing and they run out of books (which happens frequently), the people who come after all copies are sold special order a copy and I provide them with a signed book plate that they can put in their copy when it arrives. It's simply a way of making sure that people don't leave disappointed and it helps the store sell more copies of my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.